Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:14 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Ruger 57? 

surevaliance wrote:
Arisaka wrote:
I don’t trust that AE crap. Had a box with multiple failures. Pulled some of the bullets. No powder in the case! I stick with FN ammo now.

Good to know, thanks!
Another reason for me to stick with 9x19 and wait for Glockarev.

Honestly I’ve never had any AE fail on me ever in any caliber. I’ve had two squibs from Winchester White box (Israeli made) and I had a whole case of S&B .223 that had too soft brass which the case split down the middle, but federal AE has been good to me in several calibers.

Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll wait until Wolf makes crappy plastic coated steel cased 5.7, $5/20.

Though this has made me revisit my actual bottleneck infatuation, and that's a 1911 in 9x25 Dillon.

Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Count me IN as VERY interested in a affordable 57. I just watched Nutnfancy's review from today and the gun looks VERY promising. 20+1 in a reliable, ergonomic, light weight gun! Yes please.

Never bothered even looking at the FNs b/c the pistols were grossly overpriced and the PS90s seems pointless compared to ARs.

Now, this is a game changer!

Street prices look to be $700 and sold out everywhere.

I fully expect supply/demand curve to reach ~$500 in a few years as appetites stabilize and competitors roll in. Ammo production will increase thereby decreasing unit prices and become more affordable and innovative. Ammo weighs .40 grains, plus components which seem between 9mm and 556. I'd expect to see prices competitive between 9 and 556 in the near term, i.e. 20-30 cents/round.

I'm going to wait a year to three until the bugs are worked out and prices for gun and ammo drop significantly.

Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And I'd also love a modern x25 Tok design by one of the big 5...

Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:52 pm

A pistol is not at the top of my priority list. But it might be a good idea to purchase a couple of magazines now with what may be coming out of Olympia in the near future. It would suck to finally get this pistol later on and only be able to get half the capacity.

Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bruce556 wrote:
A pistol is not at the top of my priority list. But it might be a good idea to purchase a couple of magazines now with what may be coming out of Olympia in the near future. It would suck to finally get this pistol later on and only be able to get half the capacity.

If an AWB passes there you won't get either. WA will be on the "no sell" list, like several other states.

You're in a "get it now or never" scenario there, as I see it.

Alternately, you might get it, then have to register it, and turn it over in a few years anyway...

Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:39 pm

leadcounsel wrote:
Bruce556 wrote:

If an AWB passes there you won't get either. WA will be on the "no sell" list, like several other states.

You're in a "get it now or never" scenario there, as I see it.

Alternately, you might get it, then have to register it, and turn it over in a few years anyway...

I was thinking more of high capacity magazine ban. That seems to be the lowest hanging fruit. Firearms would still be sold, just without high capacity magazines.

An AWB might be a little harder (I hope) to push through with some of the more rural Democrats.

Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aware of wear?

Last edited by surevaliance on Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Brand new.
Wait till after the recall.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

“Let’s settle this once and for all, forget any and all bias reviews, advertisments, paid endorsements, and the ballistic gel tests where the 5.7 got it's butt kicked. Just look at the math.
Since the .40, 10mm, 357 mag, and 45 are vastly more powerful lets just compare the 5.7 to the century old 9mm. Here are the stats on both of their hottest loads in pistol barrels. 4" for the 9mm and I'll even give the 5.7 the advantage of it's factory 4.8" barrel. Bullets for comparison are the top of the line S4M and the buffalo bore 115gr. Even though the guys in the five and seven forums say they are not getting the advertised 2600 fps we will give them the full benifit of the doubt and assume the advertising is accurate despite the fact that people have recorded 2400-2500fps in their crono.
-----------------5.7mm S4M----9mm
Energy----------405ft/lbs-----500 ft/lbs---Advantage 9mm
Momentum-------10lbs---------23lbs-----Huge Advantage 9mm
Frontal Area-.----.0394--------.1007------Huge Advantage 9mm
Sectional Density-.08-----------.130-----Large Advantage 9mm
Now forget the ultra high performance hard to find ammo and lets focus on the stuff you can buy over the counter at any halfway respectable local gun shop.
9mm Carbon 115gr JHP and the SS195LF
------------------5.7x28---------9mm
Energy------------255ft/lbs------466ft/lbs---Large Advantage 9mm
Momentum--------- 7lbs-----------22lbs-----Huge advangage 9mm
Frontal Area--------.0394---------.1007-----Huge advantage 9mm
Sectional density----.08-----------.130------Large advantage 9mm
By every measurement we know of the 9mm is superior to the soft tissue performance of the 5.7x28, I have asked on many occasions for the 5.7 junkies to explain to me what magic energy somehow makes it more deadly and nobody can explain it to me, I wounder why
Even the most hardcore 5.7 fan should understand why I am so skeptical of it's "advantages" over conventional handgun rounds.
If you do the same comparison with the 40, 10mm, 357 Sig or any other modern handgun round the comparison get REAL bad for the 5.7x28.”

Regarding talks about Fort Hood shooting’s victims being killed with single 5.7x28 projectile.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/soldier-who- ... fore-dying

I am not a Ruger hater by any meaning and I like my 10/22 Takedown a lot, however, IMO, Ruger failed again to deliver an innovative AND practical pistol, that can be appreciated by majority of US gunners, not only hipsters or misinformed newbies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Nyal0r36Q&app=desktop
She is a Ruger rep and she says “great for home defense” while in fact it is very poor choice for home/self defense.

So many these days base their beliefs on nothing but feelings.
Without $10/ea. SS190 armor piercing rounds, it is out of its element. This was designed to be a low-power, low-recoil round with penetration capabilities for body armor, a combination that can only work with penetrator rounds to punch those holes. Otherwise, it's mostly about novelty and perhaps wishing civilians could somehow get the good stuff and Ruger clearly exploits this.

Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:18 pm

surevaliance wrote:
“Let’s settle this once and for all, forget any and all bias reviews, advertisments, paid endorsements, and the ballistic gel tests where the 5.7 got it's butt kicked. Just look at the math.
Since the .40, 10mm, 357 mag, and 45 are vastly more powerful lets just compare the 5.7 to the century old 9mm. Here are the stats on both of their hottest loads in pistol barrels. 4" for the 9mm and I'll even give the 5.7 the advantage of it's factory 4.8" barrel. Bullets for comparison are the top of the line S4M and the buffalo bore 115gr. Even though the guys in the five and seven forums say they are not getting the advertised 2600 fps we will give them the full benifit of the doubt and assume the advertising is accurate despite the fact that people have recorded 2400-2500fps in their crono.
Now forget the ultra high performance hard to find ammo and lets focus on the stuff you can buy over the counter at any halfway respectable local gun shop.
By every measurement we know of the 9mm is superior to the soft tissue performance of the 5.7x28, I have asked on many occasions for the 5.7 junkies to explain to me what magic energy somehow makes it more deadly and nobody can explain it to me, I wounder why
Even the most hardcore 5.7 fan should understand why I am so skeptical of it's "advantages" over conventional handgun rounds.
If you do the same comparison with the 40, 10mm, 357 Sig or any other modern handgun round the comparison get REAL bad for the 5.7x28.”

Regarding talks about Fort Hood shooting’s victims being killed with single 5.7x28 projectile.

I am not a Ruger hater by any meaning and I like my 10/22 Takedown a lot, however, IMO, Ruger failed again to deliver an innovative AND practical pistol, that can be appreciated by majority of US gunners, not only hipsters or misinformed newbies.
She is a Ruger rep and she says “great for home defense” while in fact it is very poor choice for home/self defense.

Without $10/ea. SS190 armor piercing rounds, it is out of its element. This was designed to be a low-power, low-recoil round with penetration capabilities for body armor, a combination that can only work with penetrator rounds to punch those holes. Otherwise, it's mostly about novelty and perhaps wishing civilians could somehow get the good stuff and Ruger clearly exploits this.

For 100 years we have had .45 vs 9mm comparisons. Three things are trending now. Shot placement, recoil, and capacity. I am not trying knock your work Surevaliance. 10mm is not a realistic service round and it looks like .40 S&W is fading. Until 9mm was available with good expansion no one would even consider using 9mm "because stopping power". Bullet size, speed, and weight take a back seat to shot placement.

Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bruce556 wrote:
surevaliance wrote:

For 100 years we have had .45 vs 9mm comparisons. Three things are trending now. Shot placement, recoil, and capacity. I am not trying knock your work Surevaliance. 10mm is not a realistic service round and it looks like .40 S&W is fading. Until 9mm was available with good expansion no one would even consider using 9mm "because stopping power". Bullet size, speed, and weight take a back seat to shot placement.

With all recent drive-by shootings I value more and more the projectile's ability to penetrate at least 14" of a body tissue; or a glass, a car door, etc. - without significant loss of Ek = 1/2 mv2.
So, unless it is $5 ea. of SS190, otherwise commercial 5.7x28 ammo does not meet that criteria and even .22WMR from pistol barrel outperforms it.

Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Okay we get it, you don't like it; and nobody cares.

Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rix86 wrote:
Okay we get it, you don't like it; and nobody cares.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

:popcorn:

Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a big believer in shot placement and CNS hits. Bottleneck rounds are highly reliable and feed better than straight cases. I just can't warm up to the 5.7 though. I think a medium 9mm (124-135gr) with bullets that consistently penetrate well is pretty ideal for self-defense. I hear that there are a few people that agree with me.

Maybe these new Gold Dots will change my mind? I mean, we're not getting cheap 5.7 AP. If someone comes at me in a vest it's two to the groin and one to the face. Or I go find my .308.

Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next