Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:17 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Need suggestions for AR muzzle device 
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rix86 wrote:
Hey if you want to try before you buy I have a 1/2-28 and 1/2-36 version of the phantom pointy hanging on the wall I haven't installed yet.
You're a little ways away, but.....

Hey now there's an idea! Maybe we should all get together for an extremely noisy day at the range!

Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
Rix86 wrote:
Hey if you want to try before you buy I have a 1/2-28 and 1/2-36 version of the phantom pointy hanging on the wall I haven't installed yet.

Hey now there's an idea! Maybe we should all get together for an extremely noisy day at the range!

I was thinking the same thing

Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
Solid points above

Pretty much any device that puts more of the blast up will work. You can tune them to get a better response too. I tend to mount devices slightly more counter clockwise when looked at from the front. If you're left handed do the opposite. I'm probably compensating for something that I do 'wrong' but it works for me

The AK slant brake is one of the best and KISS designs around. Works remarkably well, weighs almost nothing, is tiny, and generally costs about a dollar.

And it is angled as you mention for similar reasons.

Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The slant brake gets its ass kicked by most every muzzle device that came after it, including the 74 style brake.
Nothing beats the slant in price, however.

Which reminds me I need to get different comps for my AKs.

Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:40 am

Double up on ear pro.

You can shoot my brakes 7.5" and it will make every thing else tame

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rix86 wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:
Rix86 wrote:

I was thinking the same thing

I appreciate the offer, Rix86! And Mike, I like the suggestion. There is no substitute for first-hand experience!

I was chatting with a buddy earlier this week and this topic came up. He said he has a new-in-box VG6 Epsilon 556 (I thought that's what I already had, but what I have is actually a Gamma EX 556 with the CAGE device, which I will probably ditch), and said he'd trade it to me for some ammo. So we did the deal on Tuesday. I'm going to give it a shot and see how I like it, considering it only cost me about $40 in ammo. If it doesn't work out, I'll try something else.

I'm still up for a noisy day at the range, though!

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:Init:

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RE: A noisy day at the range

It's one thing to try out someone else's brake on their gun, but it's an entirely different experience to put their brake on your gun. It would be cool to try that out! We would need a vise, wrench, and a box full of crush washers (and a crowd of willing volunteers) - but where there's a will, there's a way. It might be more screwing around than it's worth, but I'm just spit-ballin' here. I have no reservations about taking muzzle devices on and off, but others might.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd be game. I see no harm in it.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:08 pm

Guns4Liberty wrote:

It's one thing to try out someone else's brake on their gun, but it's an entirely different experience to put their brake on your gun. It would be cool to try that out! We would need a vise, wrench, and a box full of crush washers (and a crowd of willing volunteers) - but where there's a will, there's a way. It might be more screwing around than it's worth, but I'm just spit-ballin' here. I have no reservations about taking muzzle devices on and off, but others might.
I wouldnt bother switching devices, unless they have a lightened bcg, adjustable gas block, and buffer. Most people have similar setups in the grand scheme of things.

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mediumrarechicken wrote:
Guns4Liberty wrote:

I wouldnt bother switching devices, unless they have a lightened bcg, adjustable gas block, and buffer. Most people have similar setups in the grand scheme of things.

You're probably right, which is I why I mentioned that potentially not being worth it. I was just thinking along the lines of differing barrel lengths. Say I have a VG6 Epsilon on a 16", but you want to try it on your 7.5". The weight & balance of those guns is different, and the flash/concussion will likely be different, too. If you were looking for a device that performs better than your existing brake, I could envision a scenario where we would swap muzzle devices.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe a little late, but I second the Battlecomp. Surefire Warcomp also worked pretty good when I had it on my gun. Kinda pricey, though, even for a suppressor mount. Took it off to put a Keymo mount on.

zombie66 wrote:
Mikey is a Bossy Bottom.....

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

UpDog wrote:
Putting a cage on a vg6 pisses me off so much.

Vg6 (epsilon) is life on a 5.56. Putting a cage on it reverses its effects to make your neighbors happy when you dont have time to swap for an a2.

Vg6 is literally $35 on sale and is the bombest . Everyone jumping on that ship now.

This. Most of my AR’s have a VG6. I love them. For me, they keep the barrel down. And at $35 right now..... I might order a few more.

Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: no longer in a van down by the river (... at least anywhere near South King County)
Itchin4Fishin wrote:
UpDog wrote:

Vg6 (epsilon) is life on a 5.56. Putting a cage on it reverses its effects to make your neighbors happy when you dont have time to swap for an a2.

Vg6 is literally $35 on sale and is the bombest . Everyone jumping on that ship now.

This. Most of my AR’s have a VG6. I love them. For me, they keep the barrel down. And at $35 right now..... I might order a few more.

Where are (were?) they at $35, now? I've been looking around a bit, but must be missing something. :doh1:

Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DM47 wrote:
Itchin4Fishin wrote:
UpDog wrote:

Where are (were?) they at $35, now? I've been looking around a bit, but must be missing something. :doh1:

Every holiday sale that comes up, you will 90% find it at schuylerarms. Sometimes ar15safespace as well. I forgot one or two other vendors.

For those of you content with an a2, thats great. Your arms probably weight 80lbs each + your bigass cheek and that helps you keep the rifle down but with a vg6 its EFFORTLESS.

Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3