Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:49 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The Polymer AR Reimagined 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bruce556 wrote:
Most of my ARs have collapsible stocks. Once I find "the right spot" I never move the stock again. A shorter stock with spacers would be a good idea for this product. I do like this idea and want one. But the problem I see with this is it lacks the sexiness of the collapsible AR stock. I do not think it will
sell very well. I have a heavy barrel upper laying around and this would be perfect for it.

I think it'll do better than the Cav Arms/GWACS lowers. Brownell's has a much bigger online presence and better marketing, and social media is way more prevalent today than it was even two or three years ago when the WWSD project kicked off.

And, maybe it's just me, but what's "sexy" in the AR world seems to be moving more towards what's practical instead of what looks fancy. Gucci shit still has it's place, I'm not selling ANY of my Aero monthly cerakote sets, but people are, more and more, starting to find appeal in having utilitarian guns. Smaller optics, lighter barrels, as little bullshit hanging off rails as possible, smaller, slimmer handguards that omit rails entirely in favor of M-lok or Keymod, etc.

I don't think it'll be, like, the next big thing in the AR world, but I think this lower will check a few boxes for more than enough people to make it worth it for the manufacturer.

We'll see who's right in Q2. I already have plans for two identical builds.

zombie66 wrote:
Mikey is a Bossy Bottom.....

Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:22 am

Pvanderzee wrote:
Bruce556 wrote:
Most of my ARs have collapsible stocks. Once I find "the right spot" I never move the stock again. A shorter stock with spacers would be a good idea for this product. I do like this idea and want one. But the problem I see with this is it lacks the sexiness of the collapsible AR stock. I do not think it will
sell very well. I have a heavy barrel upper laying around and this would be perfect for it.

I think it'll do better than the Cav Arms/GWACS lowers. Brownell's has a much bigger online presence and better marketing, and social media is way more prevalent today than it was even two or three years ago when the WWSD project kicked off.

And, maybe it's just me, but what's "sexy" in the AR world seems to be moving more towards what's practical instead of what looks fancy. Gucci shit still has it's place, I'm not selling ANY of my Aero monthly cerakote sets, but people are, more and more, starting to find appeal in having utilitarian guns. Smaller optics, lighter barrels, as little bullshit hanging off rails as possible, smaller, slimmer handguards that omit rails entirely in favor of M-lok or Keymod, etc.

I don't think it'll be, like, the next big thing in the AR world, but I think this lower will check a few boxes for more than enough people to make it worth it for the manufacturer.

We'll see who's right in Q2. I already have plans for two identical builds.

Great points Pvanderzee. Not being able to change the butt stock may be a hang up for some builders though. For the build I have planned it isn't an issue.

Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:26 pm

Has anyone seen an approximate shipping date for these?

Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:35 pm

I think this might be a Brownells thing.

Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bruce556 wrote:
I think this might be a Brownells thing.

Brownells Exclusive. Q2 shipping was the answer at the SHOT show Q&A, if I remember right.

zombie66 wrote:

Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KE Arms just finished shipping the pre-orders, plus some extra, for the complete, mil-spec WWSD2020 lowers in black to Brownells.
Next up is the SLT/Ambi Black lowers.
Then the stripped black lowers.
FDE not for another 4-5 weeks.

:party1:

zombie66 wrote:

Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:07 pm

Being personally acquainted with some of the guys over at KE its great to see their work to getting units shipped finally paying off. Cant wait to get mine in my hands too

Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.brownells.com/firearms/rifles/semi-auto/ar-15-mk3-what-would-stoner-do-2020-rifle-prod132663.aspx?avad=238829_b1e57aacd&aid=188217&cm_mmc=affiliate-_-Itwine-_-Avantlink-_-Custom+Link&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=Avantlink&utm_content=NA&utm_campaign=Itwine

complete redesign in polymer

better pencil barrel

no forward assist

what's not to like, except the price?

$1700 plus tax, ship

Last edited by jackass on Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Probably the most random parts selection on a factory rifle I've ever seen.

Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:36 pm

The lowers are like $100 stripped or $200 with all the lower parts populated

Here are a couple photos from the recent production run:

Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you watch the original WWSD video series done by InRangeTV, it makes some sense.
Lightweight and modern materials and designs.
Hence the carbon fiber handguard, polymer lower, and pencil barrel.
The rifles built in the series apparently garnered some very positive reviews by people at competitions that got to use them at matches.
I built a couple lightweight uppers for some of the lowers I have pre-ordered. Just swapping out, say, my 13.7" upper /w Geissele rail for one of the 14.5" lightweight uppers makes a HUGE difference. I anticipate a couple of 5-5.5lb-ish guns, with ammo, sling, and optic.

Just put in another pre-order for one more black lower and an FDE lower.

zombie66 wrote:

Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:56 pm

Is the pivot pin area up front reinforced with steel in any way?

Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:39 pm

ViniVidivici wrote:
Is the pivot pin area up front reinforced with steel in any way?

The only inserts made of metal as part of the manufacturing process are the strips that contain the serial number.

The takedown and pivot pins are non-standard and are included with the lower receiver, they load in from the port side of the reciver and there is some differences compared to the milspec lower design

Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All the pre-orders for stripped lowers, mil-spec FCG lowers, and the SLT/DMR/ambi black lowers from before November are apparently done. FDE starting shortly.

Watched this video from the beginning of December on the history of this style of lower receiver, why it wasn't super successful before, and why it very well might be this time.

zombie66 wrote:

Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:59 pm

So I got mine and picked up from the FFL, built it and finally had time this weekend to make it to the range this weekend. the upper is one I had on an old Anderson I had setup as a sort of budget 3 gun build, with a Primary arms LPVO, standard H2 buffer, ambi mag catch/selector, and a Wilson combat trigger, so I figured I should post my experience here.

First, the lower comes in a no frills box with the serial number in a UPC code format for easy scanning by your FFL into a digital A&D system, included with the lower are the two proprietary captive takedown pins installed in the lower, and a baggie with a long roll pin for installing a buffer detent should you so choose, and their propertiary selector detent pin. Also included is an instructions sheet with notes for assembly:

I had already ordered a KP parts kit and also planned on scavenging my wilson combat trigger and ambi mag catch out of my Anderson. I opted for their ambi selector in the parts kit (you can use other selectors but since the detent and spring load from the top getting a normal selector out would become a gunsmithing operation involving drilling out the selector). For the most part installation proceeded as normal except for three things:

First, the hole for the selector detent and spring was drilled about 2 spring coils too shallow, resulting in a not very positive selector throw, I fixed this by clipping a couple of coils off another spring and dropping it into the bottom, no big deal.

The second issue (which was called out in that instruction sheet, remember that?) Was that the hole for the bolt catch plunger and bolt catch spring had a little bit of flash still left in it from the machining operation, I ended up scratching my head for a bit until I saw this called out in the sheet and took the suggested drill bit to clean it up by hand

Lastly, the roll pin used for the buffer detent is long, I ended up cracking it off midway through when attempting to drive it in with my roll pin punches.

My cartridge trigger was drop in and fit without issues, though its been called out that some larger cartridge triggers wont fit in the fire control pocket due to the radiuses to allow the lower to release from the molds.

After that she was ready to have an upper put on it and pins pushed in. No issues here, the lockup between the upper and lower is very tight, no wobble.

So after taking it to the range I had no issues with it with an H2 buffer, running suppressed and unsuppressed, locks back on the last round without issue as well. Depending on how things go I may end up taking it to a competition to actually see how it handles on the clock but with how 2020 went, who knows? I can say though as far as handling the stock is one of the tighest, most positive feeling stocks I have shouldered compared to everything else out there, including an A2 stock.

I will say that for $170 with a milspec FCG installed there is a very strong argument in $year. the lower is actually in stock, has a flared magwel, and runs about the same price as a Aero M4E1 lower with a milspec parts kit WITHOUT a stock.

Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2