Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:20 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 SPR builds, pics, advice, ideas 

edogg wrote:
For longer range, wouldn’t you want something with a little more pop to it than 556/223? Like 6.5 Grendel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely. 6.5g is a 1k yard round

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Mon May 04, 2020 12:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Biggest question I am unsure about, is whether to go 18 or 20" bbl. This will require a rifle length gas system then, correct?
Guess I need to start browsing and putting together some more parts.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Mon May 04, 2020 7:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Our mods happen to have any of those 20% off at ALG from SHOT again this year?

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Mon May 04, 2020 7:11 am

Jagerbomber35 wrote:
Biggest question I am unsure about, is whether to go 18 or 20" bbl. This will require a rifle length gas system then, correct?
Guess I need to start browsing and putting together some more parts.

Go 18. Spend a little extra and go with white oak, criterion, rainier ultra match ect. Rifle gas yeah

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Mon May 04, 2020 9:09 am

I went with the PRI Mk12 Mod 0 "clone" upper and built my own lower. I say clone as now PRI offers a more true to spec version and then a more "off the shelf" parts one. When i bought they were much cheaper and only had one option. But its a douglas 18" with rifle legnth gas. PRI sights, and the AEM collar.

For the lower just went with a standard lower, geissele SSA-E trigger, and an A2 stock.

For glass i went with the Leupold mark4 2.3-8x36 which was the "correct" scope for the mk12 mod 0. it is a nice scope but looking now at their cost not sure I would recommend it vs what it cost a few years ago.

I did otp it off with a AEM5 suppressor though.

Mon May 04, 2020 9:53 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

This is an interesting article where they tested muzzle velocity vs barrel length in 5.56 ammo https://rifleshooter.com/2015/12/223-re ... -6-inches/

I’d go 18” personally, but just because I think 20” with a muzzle device looks too long.

Mon May 04, 2020 4:49 pm

velillen wrote:
I went with the PRI Mk12 Mod 0 "clone" upper and built my own lower. I say clone as now PRI offers a more true to spec version and then a more "off the shelf" parts one. When i bought they were much cheaper and only had one option. But its a douglas 18" with rifle legnth gas. PRI sights, and the AEM collar.

For the lower just went with a standard lower, geissele SSA-E trigger, and an A2 stock.

For glass i went with the Leupold mark4 2.3-8x36 which was the "correct" scope for the mk12 mod 0. it is a nice scope but looking now at their cost not sure I would recommend it vs what it cost a few years ago.

Hot damn I bet that's a sweet rig. What MOA can you pull off with match grade?

OP, 18" over 20". It'll be that much lighter and handier. Yes that'll be rifle length gas. With nicer barrels you can get a gas block with it that'll be drilled for pinning in addition to the set screws. Very solid that way.

There seems to be a growing consensus that the traditional scope type for an SPR, is a little outdated, in that while higher magnification excels out at extreme range, a really good 1-8 or better yet 1-10 LPVO makes the gun more versatile overall.

At least that was the intent with mine, the collapsible stock and short rail are there so it can perform well up close, as a primary rifle.

I ran mine for a while with a 2.5-9, and I get alot better use out of it with the 1-6, and the illuminated reticle makes it awesome up close, AND at night.

Mon May 04, 2020 6:44 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jagerbomber35 wrote:
Our mods happen to have any of those 20% off at ALG from SHOT again this year?

We did have a few, but they are long gone.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue May 05, 2020 6:01 am

ViniVidivici wrote:
velillen wrote:

OP, 18" over 20". It'll be that much lighter and handier. Yes that'll be rifle length gas. With nicer barrels you can get a gas block with it that'll be drilled for pinning in addition to the set screws. Very solid that way.

There seems to be a growing consensus that the traditional scope type for an SPR, is a little outdated, in that while higher magnification excels out at extreme range, a really good 1-8 or better yet 1-10 LPVO makes the gun more versatile overall.

At least that was the intent with mine, the collapsible stock and short rail are there so it can perform well up close, as a primary rifle.

I ran mine for a while with a 2.5-9, and I get alot better use out of it with the 1-6, and the illuminated reticle makes it awesome up close, AND at night.

I havent shot it with "match" ammo. With just my regular 55gr reloads it will still shoot 1 moa though.

And yeah the scope choice really just depends what itll be used for. Ive fine with the 2-8 and it works just for for the ranges I'd really use the 556 in. I wouldnt buy Mark4 for the price point they go for new now. To many other options I feel are better at that price point.

Tue May 05, 2020 6:54 am

ViniVidivici wrote:
velillen wrote:

I havent shot it with "match" ammo. With just my regular 55gr reloads it will still shoot 1 moa though.

And yeah the scope choice really just depends what itll be used for. Ive fine with the 2-8 and it works just for for the ranges I'd really use the 556 in. I wouldnt buy Mark4 for the price point they go for new now. To many other options I feel are better at that price point.

Tue May 05, 2020 6:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For optic I think I will swap my PA 1-6 with ACSS reticle from a carbine, to the SPR, and replace the Carbine optic. Would be nice to upgrade, but that will cone down the road.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Tue May 05, 2020 7:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought the Mark IV was discontinued?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Tue May 05, 2020 10:06 am

jukk0u wrote:
I thought the Mark IV was discontinued?

I think technically they arent available commercially anymore. Was back in like 2014ish (thats around when i built mine) i want to say they discontinued them. Then the Marines came along and wanted to order them so they seem to come and go in limited supply for sale as special buys. But i dont really know anymore as i dont really follow leupold or the mk12 clone groups

Tue May 05, 2020 11:33 am

Velillen, I'm guessing your 55gr load is something that you purposefully worked up, like the rest of us do. To me, in that respect, it qualifies as match grade.

That sounds like great performance, I'm guessing that if your barrel is 1/7 or 1/8, it'll like 62 and 75gr even more, like mine does. Outstanding!

For factory, Hornady 75gr BTHP is awesome, as is Federal 77gr SMK gold medal.

My load of 62gr Hornady FMJ over 24.4 gr H335 is my most accurate 5.56 load to date.

Tue May 05, 2020 7:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A little bump.

Parts come in today to start this build. A year ain't bad, right? So far:
Aero M4E1 Upper/Lower set
Aero LPK minus fcg/grip
Aero UPK
Aero BCG Phosphate (also have a RA Nickel Boron I could swap)

Looking to go with a 16" BLK LBL bipod integrated forearm. Leaning towards Damage Industries Enhanced buffer system. All other parts are still up in the air.

Between RRA 2 stage or a Geissele.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next