Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:03 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 THe Gordon Carbine 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love retro and would love for this to be my next project. (and my first SBR? and suppressor? < well, this is a pipe dream so dream big, no?)

https://youtu.be/um5S-puO7_A

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu May 14, 2020 10:43 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

If you did it as a pistol build with something like a SBA3 adjustable brace it would be more affordable

Thu May 14, 2020 11:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While it looks like a stock, it’s actually a 3D printed brace. There is no actual stock portion. Very similar to the KAK blade braces.

They’re made by a guy off ar15.com. I’ll link the thread that has the info if you’re interested.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Retro-style-pistol-Blade-Brace-wasn-t-someone-here-working-on-these-/123-744656/

Thu May 14, 2020 1:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those do look pretty cool!

There are comments on that ArfCom thread talking about how the threads on a recv'r ext/buffer tube might damage the "print layers".

How durable is a printed product like that? Will it take a dropping/bumping? Chip when cold?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu May 14, 2020 1:26 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Question about the 3D printed brace. Does it have atf approval to be used as a brace?

I was under the impression pistol braces had to be approved in order to avoid accidental sbr

Thu May 14, 2020 1:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
Those do look pretty cool!

There are comments on that ArfCom thread talking about how the threads on a recv'r ext/buffer tube might damage the "print layers".

How durable is a printed product like that? Will it take a dropping/bumping? Chip when cold?
I don’t think anyone has beat on them enough to determine that. That would definitely be one of my concerns.

Thu May 14, 2020 1:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
Question about the 3D printed brace. Does it have atf approval to be used as a brace?

I was under the impression pistol braces had to be approved in order to avoid accidental sbr
I guess they’re starting to fall into weird grey areas. Supposedly most of the new braces on the market apparently don’t have ATF approval.

Thu May 14, 2020 1:39 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Decisions arbitrarily made by the (acting) Director of the BATFE Technology Branch are made for that one sample/example that was submitted.

Just because Joe Shit down the street received a letter for an identical firearm, it doesn't make your gun legal.
And all decisions are subject to be reversed on a whim by the whoever is director (or acting) at the time.

BATFE pretty much makes up their own rules, and goes down the road changing them when they see fit.

Thu May 14, 2020 2:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
Decisions arbitrarily made by the (acting) Director of the BATFE Technology Branch are made for that one sample/example that was submitted.

Just because Joe Shit down the street received a letter for an identical firearm, it doesn't make your gun legal.
And all decisions are subject to be reversed on a whim by the whoever is director (or acting) at the time.

BATFE pretty much makes up their own rules, and goes down the road changing them when they see fit.

Which is why no one should give a fuck about their useless and meaningless opinion enough to even think of asking about it. "Free men do not ask for permission" or some such platitude....

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Fri May 22, 2020 9:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If your looking to build a retro clone you’d better start collecting parts now. Parts that were once considered outdated and obsolete are now going for a premium. And that is if you can find them. Here is my Blackhawk Down inspired clone. Not 100% correct but still some highly sought after parts on it.

Fri May 22, 2020 10:09 am

Cool concept, didn't know they'd named a clone gun concept after him.

Let's take time to remember Gary Gordon, and so many others who gave all this weekend.

I agree with the ATFs arbitrary nature being utter BS. Folks need to stop sending them inquiries! I hate seein' that...

Fri May 22, 2020 11:34 pm

Is it a clone if you put a brace on it?

Fri May 22, 2020 11:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]