Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 6:22 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Help, I might have to sell my Ammo. PCS cross country. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any tricks to PCS with ammo cross country? The military says they won't move ammo and I'm wondering if anybody has gotten around that somehow? I'm not driving from Washington as we're currently stationed in Southern California yet all my guns and ammo are in Washington still so I'm kinda in a predicament where I need to either sell or figure out a loophole. We have plenty of weight capacity that they will move for free and luckily they will ship guns.

Any recommendations other than adding an additional 2000 miles onto my cross country move to see how the weight capacity of my car is?

Last edited by Carpenter on Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Put it all in old tampon boxes.

Lie like a rug.

Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:

Lie like a rug.

Haha they are really heavy because they are used. Maybe a locked metal truck tool box and tell them they need a forklift to load my tools? Lol I actually wonder if that could work?

Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last edited by NWGunner on Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Give me half of it and I'll drive it there for you. :wink05:

But in all seriousness, you're sitting on a pile of gold right now. Sell what you don't want/need, and it will more than pay for what you want to ship.

Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last edited by NWGunner on Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Carpenter wrote:
Old Growth wrote:

Lie like a rug.

Haha they are really heavy because they are used. Maybe a locked metal truck tool box and tell them they need a forklift to load my tools? Lol I actually wonder if that could work?

It would actually work quite well. Buy one of those big steel tool boxes, fill it, lock it, declare it as tools, and have it picked up & shipped that way. It'll cost you, but you could sell a portion of your stash at a handsome profit right now to pay for it.

Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
Carpenter wrote:
Old Growth wrote:

Lie like a rug.

It would actually work quite well. Buy one of those big steel tool boxes, fill it, lock it, declare it as tools, and have it picked up & shipped that way. It'll cost you, but you could sell a portion of your stash at a handsome profit right now to pay for it.

They will move up to 17,000 pounds for us for free and we're probably not going to even hit 10k pounds.

Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
Okay, I was trying to be funny, late at night, after some beverages :cheers2:

You never said where you were moving ‘to’, ...

That could matter...

Generally, if it’s over 2,000 miles, it’s more cost-effective to sell, and then buy when you get to the new place.

BUT, these days, you need to consider many things, like, guns & ammo laws where you’re moving to, cost and ability to replace, etc., ...

If you had friends here who could store it, and then either send it, or buy it from you once you’re settled, that migh5 be the best scenario.

I'm moving to Norfolk, Virginia. The military will move stuff for us without us having to pay but I'm not sure if they could bring a forklift that can get something like this out of a garage in my mom's townhouse.

What are you drinking? I found a 1.75L bottle of crown I left here so I might have to go buy some coke.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:01 am

Carpenter wrote:
NWGunner wrote:
Okay, I was trying to be funny, late at night, after some beverages :cheers2:

You never said where you were moving ‘to’, ...

That could matter...

Generally, if it’s over 2,000 miles, it’s more cost-effective to sell, and then buy when you get to the new place.

BUT, these days, you need to consider many things, like, guns & ammo laws where you’re moving to, cost and ability to replace, etc., ...

If you had friends here who could store it, and then either send it, or buy it from you once you’re settled, that migh5 be the best scenario.

I'm moving to Norfolk, Virginia. The military will move stuff for us without us having to pay but I'm not sure if they could bring a forklift that can get something like this out of a garage in my mom's townhouse.

What are you drinking? I found a 1.75L bottle of crown I left here so I might have to go buy some coke.

You can get caster sets for those tool boxes. Depending how much weight you plan to have, you can get a set from $40 bucks up to $100+. Long as they have a capable liftgate they can roll it. Its how I moved my ammo. In that exact box with casters and it was simple to do with a liftgate. Now if they only have a truck with a ramp....yeah doubt thatll happen

Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

velillen wrote:
You can get caster sets for those tool boxes. Depending how much weight you plan to have, you can get a set from $40 bucks up to $100+. Long as they have a capable liftgate they can roll it. Its how I moved my ammo. In that exact box with casters and it was simple to do with a liftgate. Now if they only have a truck with a ramp....yeah doubt thatll happen

I didn't even think about casters that's a great idea. Did you do the move yourself or have a company do it that said they won't move ammo?

Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good ideas here. When I pcs’d, I hid my ammo in tool boxes as well, but got rid of my ammo cans and anything that prohibited me from loading as much ammo as I could in various tool boxes....but I only had a few thousand, not how much you have lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:28 am

Carpenter wrote:
velillen wrote:

I didn't even think about casters that's a great idea. Did you do the move yourself or have a company do it that said they won't move ammo?
I did it myself so no worries on that end for me. The boxes do have provisions for padlocks so the movers wouldn't be able to open. Just be prepared when they ask what tools you ha e that weight 1k plus lol. Vices are a good answer :)

Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

velillen wrote:
Carpenter wrote:
velillen wrote:

Okay so, vise. Anvil, metal for welding, the only issue with that is if they did get it open and my "tools" disappeared it wouldn't be insured at all as they only insure what they can physically see and inventory.
I did it myself so no worries on that end for me. The boxes do have provisions for padlocks so the movers wouldn't be able to open. Just be prepared when they ask what tools you ha e that weight 1k plus lol. Vices are a good answer :)

Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:39 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I moved, I sold a decent chunk of my pistol Ammo, and some rifle Ammo. I transported most of my rifle and some of my pistol Ammo in my car. At the time, pistol Ammo where I am now was WAY cheaper than WA. Now it is hard to find. Keep in mind, Ammo is some kind of hazmat, and you could be putting the driver at risk (legally or liability, probably not physically). I’d just plan on carrying what you can carry or tow yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next