Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:35 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Moving state with guns 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey everyone. I'm looking to move to Nevada, I'll miss you all, but I'll probably still lurk.

I was just wondering... transporting firearms with professional movers as in, they come in clear out my apartment, next time I see my stuff is in my place in Las Vegas. Is it an issue at all? Do many of them refuse to ship them, does it cost more because of the legality?

It looks like the fastest route would be through Oregon so I can't imagine there's really an issue, I don't think there are any guns that are illegal in wa, oregon or nevada.

Best case scenario, I get my guns. Worst case, they get stolen and claim insurance?

I don't think road tripping it would be a good idea. I'm afraid my rental truck will be broken into at whatever rats nest I choose to sleep each night. I know the same could be true for the professional movers but again, they'd have insurance. I was thinking of at least splitting the guns up lowers, uppers, frames slides etc to make it far less attractive / simple to take working guns.

What are people's experiences?

Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used to work for a Moving and Storage Company many years ago. The first thing is they won't move Ammunition, so forget that part if it is in your plans.
The weapons? I would Move them yourself. If you are doing a full pack and move they would be inventoried and Insured, but it i would avoid that due to Insurance costs and potential issues. The stuff will be handled at the origin, the loading of the Long haul Truck, the unloading at the Warehouse and then the loading for delivery.
It's most at risk in the Warehouse, believe me. If it's stored for any length of time it's handled two more times there.
You can do that drive straight through, at worst pick a smaller Motel with a ground floor room where you can back the Truck up too the Door and use a good Lock.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
The stuff will be handled at the origin, the loading of the Long haul Truck, the unloading at the Warehouse and then the loading for delivery.

Are there any services that would offer door-to-door?

Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:10 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Sure, there are white glove delivery services that will pack, insure, pick it up, and deliver to any room in the house.
But it's not cheap.
Had that done with a grandfather clock and valuable painting.
Took me about a half hour to get the foot of packing material off the clock.
Never seen anything like it.

I prefer the guns to go with me in the truck, separated with blankets. Don't want them getting lost on the way.

Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nevada should be a two day move. Pick a Koa or similar that rents cabins about half way. Stay overnight and finish journey the next day.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you looked into Pods?

Some friends just moved to VA and that was the cheapest option. You load it yourself so nobody is riffling through your stuff

Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rent a motorhome one-way, take the guns with you, take the scenic route, sleep in the rest areas or RV parks, either way you and the guns will arrive safe.

If that is not an option, put the guns in your car and drive straight through....that is what caffeine is for

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:34 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm very experienced at this, having now lived in many states and just completed this. Here's a quick summary of my experiences.

I just moved, and I did partial with professional movers for normal household stuff, and then the other rest was anything sensitive or valuable or things movers won't move or I wanted to maintain some OPSEC and move them myself.

Understand 3rd parties won't move anything flammable or explosive or liquids. So no ammo, propane tanks, gas cans, paints, household cleaning items, etc. If you have a significant amount, it gets expensive giving it all away, and selling household stuff is not worth the effort for the little you get.

* PODs - might be a good option, but they prohibit ammo and I'm not sure about guns. These are not hard to break into for a motivated person, and they are a mid-ranged expense option. The nice thing is you have a long time to slowly pack. If you have a garage have it loaded with the door up against the garage door so it can be secured better. Know that anyone with a saw can get into it. I priced a POD and it was something like $4000. I used one in a move across country a decade ago and it was around $3000, but it was a very smooth operation and they did a good job. Worth considering, but read their fine print. In theory nobody checks your contents but if there's an issue you might be financially liable if you break their rules.

* Professional movers are expensive, won't move ammo, and you completely lose your Operational security and you might get robbed. I do not like this option for guns. I have done this a few times and I never liked it, but had to out of necessity. Make sure you get a lot of private insurance.

* Sell everything, start fresh. This is theoretically possible, and right now is a sellers market. No promises of what prices or availability might look like in a year... but it's worth considering selling at least things you don't need/want any more to lighten the burden.

* Do it yourself in a 1-way rental truck. Mine was $1000. I think this is the best option, but it's a hassle depending on what you have. Allows you to have direct control over all your valuables, and bring stuff 3rd parties won't move as listed above. Bring a friend if you can, pull security, park in a fashion that makes the truck hard to break into, pull guard shifts. It's a 2-3 day drive to your destination so that's 1-2 overnights. I just did this option and it was a hassle but it was the best of all options considered. Be aware of weight laws and laws on transporting flammables and explosives like gas and propane tanks, etc.

Good luck!

Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:49 am

Drive time from here to Las Vegas is approx. 18 hours. With a driving buddy, there's no need to stop. Rent a truck, grab a buddy and do it.

Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:28 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

I moved here by myself, driving 3,300 miles in three days with all of my guns and ammo.

You can take all your long guns to the post office and mail them to yourself in Nevada. However you plan to get yourself from WA to NV, be it by plane or driving, you can route yourself to avoid California and bring your firearms with you either in checked cases or in your vehicle. Or ship them to a FFL for gunsmithing and pay them to hand them back over to you. You can ship your ammo to yourself as well.

That one way RV rental sounds like a great idea. Staying with your stuff the whole time is the only way to ensure you have complete control of it.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:12 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Moved here to OK in my Subaru and just laid them in back and covered them with a lot of random stuff. Ammo went in the 5X8 utility trailer.

Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Moving from WA to TX had the company sponsored professional movers take care of all our mundane household objects. We drove our personal cars one way to TX so we loaded them up with all the guns, ammo, and reloading components as well as some unrelated solvents, paints, finishes, fireworks, etc.

Provides you with the best security. Even better is to do a non-stop haul from WA to NV (avoiding CA) so you're not faced with the choice of hauling all your guns into whatever hotel you stay at.

Like others said, the pro movers won't accept any ammo or flammables. I personally wouldn't trust them with a gun collection either. Better to handle these items yourself. Recommend inventorying your collection (manufacturer, model, serial numbers) before you travel in case of any loss.

You can insure your collection with Lockton ArmsCare through NRA to provide full coverage in case your homeowners insurance, renter's insurance, or auto insurance refuses to cover full replacement value.

Enjoy your new digs in NV. Las Vegas is pretty central to many travel and sightseeing destinations in CA, AZ, UT. Not far from Brianhead, UT or Zion National Park. A bit farther afield is Canyon de Chelly National Monument on the northern border between AZ and NM.

Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can ship guns to yourself. Maybe ship rifles and uppers then carry pistols and lowers in your car. It could be expensive if you have a lot of rifles as you have to ship them 2nd day. But it’s an easy option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:31 pm

edogg wrote:
You can ship guns to yourself. Maybe ship rifles and uppers then carry pistols and lowers in your car. It could be expensive if you have a lot of rifles as you have to ship them 2nd day. But it’s an easy option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Which common carriers will do that?

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:22 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

You should be able to ship regular "ground" if all you're shipping are long guns, no express delivery required.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next