Switch to full style
Let's talk about guns!
Post a reply

Help ID an upper

Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:56 pm

A friend brought this over today for me to check out

I’m having a hard time IDing all the parts. The lower is a plum crazy polymer lower with an accu group FCG. Commercial buffer tube with a no name stock that’s too tight

The upper is an A1. Anchor Harvey forge mark but the finish is crap. Barrel has these marks:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Help ID an upper

Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:05 pm

That's an AR15 upper chambered in 5.56mm. It has a 1 in 9 inches twist. You can tell by the stamps. :ROFLMAO:

But seriously, it's a Bushmaster. The MP is for magnaflux or magnetic proofing or partical testing or IOW some form of proof testing.

Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:36 pm

I assumed Bushmaster, but you know what happens when you ASSuME

Brownells has done some retro stuff too so that was going to be my other guess

Any thoughts on whether this was a complete bushmaster upper or a piece together?

Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:49 pm

Better pic of just the upper

Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:00 pm

16" barrel with an oversleeved fake 5.5" hider or a perm attached actual 5.5" hider on a 11.5" barrel?

If its perm attached, my personal guess is that its a factory assembled BM upper from the late 80s early 90s , hard to reconfigure those with the perm attached flash hider. The upper receiver looks beat up enough that I doubt its a recent production retro upper receiver.

ETA: just saw it had a M203 cut handguard retainer, so who knows ??? Its been taken apart at some point and had the retainer replaced if it was an old BM factory upper, so no telling if its original.

Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:56 pm

It’s an actual 16” barrel

The fake moderator comp covers the barrel but you can see the end of the barrel inside the end of the comp

Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:31 am

Clean it. Lube it. Shoot it. Words to live by :bigsmile: .

Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:30 am

He wants to swap out the upper for a flattop

I was trying to decide if it would be better to sell this upper complete or just swap the receiver and sell the A1

I'm a little worried about the plum crazy lower holding up

Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:17 am

I would be too.

Polymer lowers for pistols have really caught on over the last 30 years. Polymer lowers for rifles have not. There's a reason.

Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:26 am

My advice was to make it a .22
Post a reply