Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:47 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 A Small Primer On Mosin Rifles 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's a lot of cosmo! Fun times are in your future.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:04 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I am just going to throw them up on top of the car port in the NCW sun.

That works, right?

Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:50 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

root wrote:
I think I am just going to throw them up on top of the car port in the NCW sun.

That works, right?

Black roof? That'll do it!

Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:05 am

so I'm considering picking up my first mosin, but I plan on (don't kill me for saying this) getting the archangel stock for it. can you recommend a good source for a plain jane rifle I can get to convert? I'd hate to find some random rifle and strip her down only to find out it was actually some rare piece. while I might not be after the nostalgia aspect, I do have some respect for it.

is it fairly safe to assume that the cabela $169 rifles are all fairly basic ones?

Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:38 pm

I have eyeballed those refurbs just to make sure there wasn't something unique that I didn't have in the collection yet. It'd be pretty safe to assume that if you picked up one of those and wanted to molest it and chop it up or do whatever, then that would be the one to choose.

If there is anything about the refurbs, it could be possible to come across a Finn captured 91/30, that was recaptured by the Russians and refurbed with Russian refurb marks on it. Or MO marked with the additional dates added to the barrel shank. Or an ex-sniper. There could be ex-Dragoon rifles mixed in there, but they were updated with 91/30 sights.

You can put an Archangel stock on any rifle, but if you want to do chop chop to it, find a 91/30 refurb. Otherwise if you're not chopping anything then you don't have to worry about ruining something that could be potentially vaulable.

I've been thinking about one of these stocks too just for the heck of it. Let us know if you get one.

Last edited by MosinZealot on Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:25 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

uber wrote:
so I'm considering picking up my first mosin, but I plan on (don't kill me for saying this) getting the archangel stock for it. can you recommend a good source for a plain jane rifle I can get to convert? I'd hate to find some random rifle and strip her down only to find out it was actually some rare piece. while I might not be after the nostalgia aspect, I do have some respect for it.

is it fairly safe to assume that the cabela $169 rifles are all fairly basic ones?

Another option as well.

"Barreled receiver combination with very nice bores, no sights, with trigger group and extractor, $55"

http://preciseshooter.com/Products/MosinLegoSet.aspx

I have the archangel stock, and pulled my run of the mill 91/30 apart to drop in the new stock. It doesn't do any damage just swapping the action, but when it is time for me to bubba the thing down I plan to get one of those barreled receivers....

Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:24 am
Profile WWW

awesome.. i was actually hoping for something just like this. i'll have to hit the up next payday. thanks! :thumbsup2:

olydemon wrote:

Another option as well.

"Barreled receiver combination with very nice bores, no sights, with trigger group and extractor, $55"

http://preciseshooter.com/Products/MosinLegoSet.aspx

I have the archangel stock, and pulled my run of the mill 91/30 apart to drop in the new stock. It doesn't do any damage just swapping the action, but when it is time for me to bubba the thing down I plan to get one of those barreled receivers....

Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:04 pm

This is a model 1870 Berdan II rifle. Originally designed by Hiram Berdan in 1868 as Berdan I, the Berdan II came out in 1870 and was adopted at the time by Imperial Russia. This particular rifle was manufactured at Sestroryetsk in 1884. It retains an original front volley sight attached to the forward barrel band, but is missing the rear sight slider, which would have the rear portion of the volley sight and sliding mechanism for yardage. It is AZF marked, and has Austrian sling hangers. Bore is surprisingly good for how old it is. Missing a couple screws on the bolt, but if I can't find any, I am hoping I can have some made.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:37 pm
Profile WWW

Got a tip off from a buddy of mine that a fella whom I had spoken with a few times at the local gun show, had a 8mm converted M91. I was thinking Blindee, and very excited. After I was finally in contact with the guy, it was a slight lost in translation deal, as it turns out, this 1895 Tula M91 has a Mauser adapter on the end of the barrel, to accept German bayonets. The bayonet pictured is a German butcher blade, but I believe it would have also accepted Commission Mauser bayonets, and Ersatz bayonets. I had never even seen a bayonet sleeve like this before, but knew the Germans outfitted some Russian M91s with the Mauser style bayonet lug and barrel band like the G/K98s. Bore is really quite nice, pretty shiny, sharp lands and grooves. Stock had a crack near the tang area of the receiver. Looks like some finishing type nails were used to keep it in place. No sling slot escutcheons. Bolt looks to me to be German stamped matching shank, floor plate matches. Butt plate looks to have a unit number on it. No import marks I see anywhere. The guy I got it from said he got it in the 1960s, and has had it since then. The unit translates to: "I_C- Green with envy - nice find! A is likely artillery, 5 the regiment, 4th company, 18th weapon. This from Jeff Noll's book: "The Imperial German Regimental Marking." southridge"

The post I made and the thread discussion regarding the unit marking can be seen here: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... -Buttplate

Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:41 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's pretty cool. icon_eek

What caliber is it? Is ammo available, or can you reload for it?

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MosinZealot, you will appreciate this one. :bigsmile: A 1943 Tikka round receiver 91/30.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Last edited by usrifle on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A few interesting M91's

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Last edited by usrifle on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A VKT marked "B" barrel with Belgian Leige proof and VKT pressure proof. The Leige proof can be above or below the woodline, very uncommon M91.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:47 pm

Wonder if MZ's rifle was a wartime Volksstrum or POA conversion.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:44 pm

The M91 with the bayonet sleeve on it, was a known German modification. Just not many of them are around. I would have to believe it's a wartime conversion. Post war, they were getting rid of weapons. It is my understanding that these suchly modified rifles were probably rear echelon. But I suppose it's possible it could have been Volkssturm. But if the unit mark on the butt plate is indeed artillery, I think I may be inclined to believe it's probably not a VS mod.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:08 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next