Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:17 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 A Small Primer on 7.62x54r Ammo...and Cleaning 

I have an FN-49 in 7.92X56 that had a shiny barrel. I did not understand the whole corrosive thing. After shooting, I punched the bore and admired my job well done.

A week later, I was moving rifles around in the safe and looked down the barrel again and "Sweet Jesus Christ on a crutch!" My formerly shiny barrel was rusting!!!

I did a search on the inter webs and found my mistake. After proper cleaning the bore is no longer rusting, but is now dark. :doh1:

Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:04 pm

Kind of wish I knew this before I bought mine but its long gone now. In the future, maybe but seems like they are on a rise as I bought that one 10+ years ago and at $99. They reach 500 sometimes.

Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:10 am

Thanks for the info. I recently In a deal, I ended up with a spam can of 7.62x54r and had just started asking about it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bruce556 wrote:
I have an FN-49 in 7.92X56 that had a shiny barrel. I did not understand the whole corrosive thing. After shooting, I punched the bore and admired my job well done.

A week later, I was moving rifles around in the safe and looked down the barrel again and "Sweet Jesus Christ on a crutch!" My formerly shiny barrel was rusting!!!

I did a search on the inter webs and found my mistake. After proper cleaning the bore is no longer rusting, but is now dark. :doh1:

I had to beat my ak74 bolt open against a tree stump 5 years ago before a range trip.... Good thing 5.45 ak kits are only like $200..... Oh crap they are $700 now????

Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see the caliber but not case length written on the tin crate. How do you distinguish between 7.62 x 54 and 7.62 x39 etc?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:12 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

jukk0u wrote:
I see the caliber but not case length written on the tin crate. How do you distinguish between 7.62 x 54 and 7.62 x39 etc?

This is a shitty answer but the best I have … I know that there are 440 rounds in a 7.62x54R tin, and I see “440” written on the tin.

There are more 7.62x39 rounds in a tin, but I don’t remember how many.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
jukk0u wrote:

This is a shitty answer but the best I have … I know that there are 440 rounds in a 7.62x54R tin, and I see “440” written on the tin.

There are more 7.62x39 rounds in a tin, but I don’t remember how many.

With some light reading here:

https://www.floridaconcealedcarry.com/t ... ins.58608/

(Sorry if that link not allowed, but it has great info)

The 7.62x39 look to have been labeled as 7,62x39 to avoid confusion with the 54r. The others apparently being labeled in English for the most part

Spoiler: show
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”
― Jeff Cooper, Art of the Rifle

“The word "good" has many meanings. For example, if a man were to shoot his grandmother at a range of five hundred yards, I should call him a good shot, but not necessarily a good man.”
― G. K. Chesterton

“A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.”
— Rep. Allen West, FL

“Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right.”
— U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, U.S. v. Emerson (1999)

“An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.”
— Jeff Cooper

Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was a 03 FFL for a few years ( my dad got me into it) and I acquired a few nagants back when places like SOG existed (the good times). I always ran a few patches of that sweets 7.62 solvent designed for this very problem down the barrels and that works perfectly. You don't need a thermos of hot water at the range. Sticking around the old-timers, you learn a lot too.

I think the most corrosive ammo I ever used was that old turk pre 1945-8mm and it was super hot too. That stuff would start destroying a barrel in less than a day.

I have a can still that is unopened. I think it's 320rds but I believe it's Polish 7.62x54. I guess I should look and see if it's corrosive. It's in the dark teal green spam can. A lot more greener color then olive color cans above.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue May 17, 2022 10:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WitchyWoman wrote:

I have a can still that is unopened. I think it's 320rds but I believe it's Polish 7.62x54. I guess I should look and see if it's corrosive. It's in the dark teal green spam can. A lot more greener color then olive color cans above.

Almost all com-block surplus is corrosive. The corrosive primers have a longer shelf life which is probably why they went them(or atleast that is what ive heard.
320 means it is a stripper clip can. Stripper cans have been impossible to find(from retail sellers) for the last 15 years i've buying comblock. I'll trade you a 440 round can for it(russian or bulgy).

Wed May 18, 2022 8:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

shaggy wrote:
WitchyWoman wrote:

Almost all com-block surplus is corrosive. The corrosive primers have a longer shelf life which is probably why they went them(or atleast that is what ive heard.
320 means it is a stripper clip can. Stripper cans have been impossible to find(from retail sellers) for the last 15 years i've buying comblock. I'll trade you a 440 round can for it(russian or bulgy).

I had two of these and ripped one open to shoot some roughly 2 years ago but I still have about 75% of the open can left in a 50 cal can. It's not on strips. It's the typical com-bloc wrapped in wax paper and wrapped in twine. If the ammo shortages were not so bad I may have sold one but I do need it in case zombies come to feed my lovely little 91/59. I wish I had not sold my other three Nagant's when times were tough at stupid prices but at least I was smart enough to hold on to the 59, my favorite out of the bunch.

Thu May 19, 2022 7:07 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

91/59 … a wise choice indeed!

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Thu May 19, 2022 7:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
91/59 … a wise choice indeed!

Mine

Nothing modified, just added a pouch to hold a few clips.

I used to have an M44, M38, tula 91/30, and also a Fin capture 91/30 dated 39 (had a fin stamp). Like I said, should of never let those go. I really did not care for the 44 though. Those bayonets made them side heavy and inaccurate when folded.

Thu May 19, 2022 10:07 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

That 91/59 looks nice.

The M44s are cool because of that built-in bayonet, but for civilian use I much prefer the M38 or M91/59 because they are simpler and lighter.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Thu May 19, 2022 1:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My favorite is my yugo reworked PU, but my pair of fins take close second.

Thu May 19, 2022 9:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3