Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:09 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 I had an actual AD today 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes it was an AD not an ND.

So I picked up an 80% lower a couple of years ago and built it up with Agency Arms parts for the lower and barrel and fit this cool Shield Arms slide. I believe I got the firing pin from the glock store but I can't remember where I got the rest of the parts for the upper. Anyway I take it out once or twice and I am not in love with the 80% lower so I buy a factory glock frame and switch out all the parts to it and go the the range yesterday :thumbsup2: I take a good number of guns about 7 of them i haven't shot yet or have only put a mag down the pipe. I pull out the the Glock 19 try seating the mag and I am not getting it to seat after 5 minutes of beating on the mag (I think it's the mag well) I get it in. I rack the slide but it stops half way i reach back with my grip hand thumb and push the slide forward and it goes boom (down range) I am thinking I am a fucking idiot for paying attention to the slide and not keeping my booger hook off the bang switch (I must have right? That's why it went bang) anyway I say fuck that one i have lots more to shoot.

So today I am STILL cleaning pistols when I get to the G-19 I clean it all up put it back together grab a full mag while standing in front of my safe when I rack a round (yes I keep all of my pistols loaded inside my safe) it gets stuck half way again. I think to myself fuck this i am keeping my finger far away from that trigger this time. I smack the mag then push on the back of the slide BOOM i have just shot inside my fucking safe and killed a shelf. I drop the mag rack the slide open empty the chamber and drop the gun i am shocked and pissed. I call my good buddy that lives next store tell him to come over now!!!

He comes over I explain all my steps to make sure I wasn't a fucking idiot i see a small bit of "are you sure" in his face so I get another round take the bullet and powder out put it in the chamber and drop the slid nothing happens right! I eject the case put the pistol down and say fuck bro I don't know what just happened when he picks it up and looks at the primer and it's dented. Thank God for my own sanity I was able to recreate the issue.

So I ask you this. WTF do I do now about this gun?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done. --- Leonardo DaVinci

When its time to go in:
That place of steel and stone. I pray that you will keep me safe, so I will not walk alone. Help me to do my duty, please watch me on my rounds.
Amongst those perilous places and slamming steel door sounds. God, keep my fellow Officers well and free from harm. Let them know I'll be there too, whenever there's alarm.
Above all when I walk my beat, no matter where I roam. Let me go back whence I came, to family and home

Author unknown.

Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Damn dude, that sucks. I'm glad the bullet struck something replaceable though...could have been a lot worse, as I'm sure you know.

mash man wrote:
So I ask you this. WTF do I do now about this gun?

I'll dispose of it for you. :wink05:

Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, for starters, at least you had the gun pointed in the right direction and nobody got hurt. Except your ears, anyway.

And if you're finger was truly off the trigger, you've got a serious mechanical problem.

The good news is that Glocks are simple.

Grab yourself an armorers rear plate. It's got some holes in it so you can observe the innards. My first thought is poor engagement between the striker and trigger bar. The shelf on the trigger housing should keep the trigger bar from dropping a significant distance, so if the bar isn't dropping, and the striker is being released anyway, then my thought is that the striker had shit engagement. The problem with that whole theory, though, is that a half-cocked striker shouldn't have enough energy to light off a round if the striker slips off the trigger bar while the gun is condition zero. That's the whole fucking point of the Glock's trigger and striker design. Maybe you beating the slide into battery adds enough energy to the formula to cook one off, but it seems screwy.

So...

Take a look at the slide. Is the striker stuck in the forward position, protruding from the breach face? This is an aftermarket slide, and it may have bad dimensions. If the striker is stuck forward, there you go. One good whack to force the slide into battery, and you've got an open-bolt Glock. May also explain the slide getting stuck, the striker is trying to catch on the trigger bar before it's actually supposed to.

Personally, I lean more towards something with the slide.

zombie66 wrote:
Mikey is a Bossy Bottom.....

Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dayummm, glad you’re ok. Scary shit!!!

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:34 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

You take it back to square and 1 and find out why that firing pin is sticking

You realize that if you had an unexpected discharge at the range under these same conditions, that a discharge at your home was negligent., not accidental. Because you replicated the range conditions and it happened again. Surprise surprise.

You take that pistol to a good gunsmith. We all like to play gun builder with these 80%ers but realistically,
We are out of our depths and these situations are perfect illustrators of that issue.

Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:

You realize that if you had an unexpected discharge at the range under these same conditions, that a discharge at your home was negligent., not accidental. Because you replicated the range conditions and it happened again. Surprise surprise.

You take that pistol to a good gunsmith. We all like to play gun builder with these 80%ers but realistically,
We are out of our depths and these situations are perfect illustrators of that issue.

I was 99% convinced that I must have pulled the trigger at the range because why else would the fucking thing go boom right?

When its time to go in:
That place of steel and stone. I pray that you will keep me safe, so I will not walk alone. Help me to do my duty, please watch me on my rounds.
Amongst those perilous places and slamming steel door sounds. God, keep my fellow Officers well and free from harm. Let them know I'll be there too, whenever there's alarm.
Above all when I walk my beat, no matter where I roam. Let me go back whence I came, to family and home

Author unknown.

Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caveman Jim wrote:

Thank you. Yes it was. I almost shot my M1
Pvanderzee wrote:
Well, for starters, at least you had the gun pointed in the right direction and nobody got hurt. Except your ears, anyway.

And if you're finger was truly off the trigger, you've got a serious mechanical problem.

Grab yourself an armorers rear plate. It's got some holes in it so you can observe the innards. My first thought is poor engagement between the striker and trigger bar. The shelf on the trigger housing should keep the trigger bar from dropping a significant distance, so if the bar isn't dropping, and the striker is being released anyway, then my thought is that the striker had shit engagement. The problem with that whole theory, though, is that a half-cocked striker shouldn't have enough energy to light off a round if the striker slips off the trigger bar while the gun is condition zero. That's the whole fucking point of the Glock's trigger and striker design. Maybe you beating the slide into battery adds enough energy to the formula to cook one off, but it seems screwy.

So...

Take a look at the slide. Is the striker stuck in the forward position, protruding from the breach face? This is an aftermarket slide, and it may have bad dimensions. If the striker is stuck forward, there you go. One good whack to force the slide into battery, and you've got an open-bolt Glock. May also explain the slide getting stuck, the striker is trying to catch on the trigger bar before it's actually supposed to.

Thank you I will look at that better tomorrow it wasn't such in the slide when I checked it before or after.

When its time to go in:

Author unknown.

Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mash man wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:

I was 99% convinced that I must have pulled the trigger at the range because why else would the fucking thing go boom right?

Fair enough assumption. I think the pendulum may have swung a bit too far with regards to the reliance on the mechanical safety of a firearm's design, and the assumption that the ONLY reason a gun goes off is because we told it to go off.

I spend all day telling people that ask about "X" brand's reliability that "X" brand is a machine, and all machines fail. Well, Glocks (and FrankenGlocks) are machines, and all machines fail, albeit not often. Negligent? Maybe. Maybe the negligence was second-guessing yourself at the range.

zombie66 wrote:

Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:45 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don’t understand. Was the Corvette hit, or not?

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pvanderzee wrote:
mash man wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:

Fair enough assumption. I think the pendulum may have swung a bit too far with regards to the reliance on the mechanical safety of a firearm's design, and the assumption that the ONLY reason a gun goes off is because we told it to go off.

I spend all day telling people that ask about "X" brand's reliability that "X" brand is a machine, and all machines fail. Well, Glocks (and FrankenGlocks) are machines, and all machines fail, albeit not often. Negligent? Maybe. Maybe the negligence was second-guessing yourself at the range.

That's fair. I was sure it was my fuck up at the range.

When its time to go in:

Author unknown.

Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
I don’t understand. Was the Corvette hit, or not?

:ROFLMAO: :rofl9: rule #8 sir you're an ass lmfao. No, no cars were hurt during this.

When its time to go in:

Author unknown.

Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:55 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

So, you got a mix of parts from various manufacturers and the gun ain’t safe? Is that correct?

BLACK HAMMER ARMS
Type 07 Class 2 NFA Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms
GLOCK Certified Armourer

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:56 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

:rofl9: :wink05:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dreadi wrote:
So, you got a mix of parts from various manufacturers and the gun ain’t safe? Is that correct?

BLACK HAMMER ARMS
Type 07 Class 2 NFA Dealer
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms
GLOCK Certified Armourer

Well that's kinda the short story of it lol

When its time to go in:

Author unknown.

Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mash man wrote:
Caveman Jim wrote:

Thank you. Yes it was. I almost shot my M1
Pvanderzee wrote:

So...

Thank you I will look at that better tomorrow it wasn't such in the slide when I checked it before or after.

As another suggestion, short of taking it to a gunsmith and explaining the situation, if it were my gun, I would go down the list of what would allow or prevent the firing of a round upon immediately upon the chambering of said round. Is the firing pin protruding in the breach face? If so, is the trigger bar disengaging the firing pin block? If so, is the trigger bar stuck in an inappropriate position? Is the trigger bar correct for that generation of Glock, or is it dimensionally incorrect to start? If the firing pin is not stuck protruding, what would allow the striker to snap forward upon slide closure?

You get the idea. We aren't gunsmiths, but, in a lot of cases, I don't think we need to be. There aren't a lot of parts in a Glock, and each is testable, especially since you've demonstrated you know how to put together a round with no powder charge.

zombie66 wrote:

Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next