Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Youth Shotgun for Deer??? Help. 

My grandson will be hunting for the first time this fall. He's 10 and, of course, quite the clever kid! (He's been out with his dad "spotting" the last two years and he's eager now that he can hunt.)

His dad is thinking a 20 gauge youth sized shotgun for slugs. I haven't hunted deer in a long time, and when I did it was with long guns (mostly .30-06).

He's also thinking mounting a scope if possible or having at least a type of rear sight.

I know zip about shotguns (pistols, revolvers, and rifles, yes, shotguns, no).

So what would folks recommend...is 20 gauge enough? Single shot or pump? Sights or scopes?

And brand and or model, new or used, and anything else I'm not clever enough to ask.

My other grandson got his first buck at 10 a couple of three years ago, but he was hunting rifle. Both dads get their bucks each year and they both hunt black powder and rife, one boy also bow-hunts. They get their does if they have a tag, but elk have eluded both my boys. Someday. We all hope.

Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think 20 gauge is more than adequate with a well-placed shot. I haven't seen too many youth 20 gauges with rifled barrels or scope mounts, though. They're out there, but finding one may not be easy. 12 gauge, sure...not too difficult. Smooth bore would probably be fine inside of 100 yds though. He'll feel it the next day, but if he bags his first deer, he won't care!

Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I grew up in a shotgun only area and have taken plenty of deer with slugs.

A 20 gauge is plenty, especially with the modern ammo. With the right barrel sabot slugs are rifle-like inside 150 yards. While smoothbore (with a modified or improved cylinder choke) is ok, I'd still recommend a rifled barrel. It adds an extra element of accuracy (and room for error).

Take a look on gun broker and you'll find 20 gauge shotguns with rifled barrels. They are obviously more popular in the eastern half of the US where there are more shotgun restrictions. If you can find one, the Ithaca Deerslayer in 20 gauge is HIGHLY recommended. It is bottom eject so good for left/right handers. You can still buy them new, but that may be more than you are willing to go.

A Remington 870 in 20 gauge with a rifled barrel is also a good choice but does not have the reputation of the Deerslayer.

If you have a rifled barrel on a good shotgun, I would definitely mount a low power scope. It doesn't need to be a variable, just something to provide an aiming point. We used to use 1 3/4x or 2x scopes.

My 11 year old took his first deer with a Model 70 in 6.5x55 on Kodiak Island. He said it was "the best day of his life". Certainly a lifetime memory.

Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If he isn't a crack shot with slugs help him out. Buckshot in the boiler room will put down any dear quick and usually no exit wound, surprising there is less meat loss in most cases. 20gauge is plenty

Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:11 am

You do not want to get him a 20 gauge because most likely he will outgrow it. If there are other family members then it can be passed down. I would get him a single shot 12 gauge and make proper loadings for him just like I did for my nephew when he was 10 and a few years ago for my great nephew. I use 18 grains of Red Dot with a Winchester Red Wad and 5 000 buckshot balls and used corncob media for the buffer. I also cast my own slugs but use a different wad same weight of Red Dot.

I can not load them and ship but I could ship the slug wad combination that I use as I happen to have 25 or so sitting in a box and you could find someone or load them yourself. I also could ship you enough 000 shot to do the job or maybe you could find the same weight in 00 shot.

Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have to respectfully disagree. I've seen a lot of wounded deer run off with buckshot. Some died, some didn't, and some were never found.

Practice, practice, practice. A 20 gauge won't beat him up and there's always changing the barrel and going dove hunting!

Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:32 pm

Are you hunting in a firearm restriction area? What kind of terrain? Reason I ask is, shotgun hunting with slugs (or especially buck shot) limits your range. I grew up hunting a firearm restriction area. First deer i shot was around that age, with a single shot 20 gauge, and slug. What I would say from personal experience, a single shot shotgun is generally pretty light, and for a 10 year old, will feel like it’s going to kick like a mule. If you can use a rifle, there’s plenty of gentle recoiling options that expand your range. If you can only hunt with a shotgun, I’d go 12 gauge auto loader, buy a separate short “tactical” or youth stock, and single load it. He will outgrow a 20 gauge fast (I did after my first deer and started using an old Remington model 11 auto loader 12 gauge.

Some other food for thought. Area I grew up hunting was dense, and fast shots within 50 yards were the norm. 12 gauge 3” copper coated 00 buck worked great. I’d always opt for head shots (don’t ruin meat, never destroyed a cape, and the animal drops in its tracks). I’ve seen deer shot with 00 buck in the vitals run off, never to be found. That’s why I took head shots. Slugs of course work great.

I took a blacktail buck late season last year with in a firearm restriction area with my 12 gauge side by side. 55 yard head shot. As you can see, didn’t turn him to hamburger. PM me if you have any questions, or need advice. I have a fair amount of experience over the last 30 years of hunting west side blacktails in firearm restriction areas with a shotgun.

Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:39 pm

Well, if you find a 20 gauge shotgun, I have lots of ammo, I would be glad to hook you up with. PM me..

Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Must respectfully disagree with the statement " He will outgrow a 20g" So wrong. I hunted whitetail and birds all over New England for many years where many areas are shotgun restricted or have special shotgun seasons for deer or bear.
You don't need a 12g to knock down any 4 legged critter ( or bird) when a 20g with a good shot placement will do just fine...Just know your range and limitations...

Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tank674 wrote:
Must respectfully disagree with the statement " He will outgrow a 20g" So wrong. I hunted whitetail and birds all over New England for many years where many areas are shotgun restricted or have special shotgun seasons for deer or bear.
You don't need a 12g to knock down any 4 legged critter ( or bird) when a 20g with a good shot placement will do just fine...Just know your range and limitations...

I agree! Several years ago I bought a youth model 20 ga pump shotgun, for several reasons. #1. For the grandkids, if they wanted to go hunting (anything from grouse to deer); #2) It's a great grouse gun even for adults; #3) It's a great home defense shotgun (anyone in the family can use it). In the last 10-15 years almost all the deer I've shot have been under 50 yards, so taking down a deer with slugs is not a problem. However, I also bought a youth model 7mm-08 (I have several grandkids). I prefer using it to my Remington 700, 7mm Mag, and it took down a 6x6 bull elk with one shot. You can get custom lite ammo for it, so that it has little recoil. So really, IMHO, it comes down to where you'll be hunting and the estimated range you'll be shooting.

Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Might be too late but just some additional information I learned first hand recently. I finally decided to pattern the 20 ga youth model shotgun I had. It came with: Full, Modified and Improved Cylinder. I tested it with 7.5 birdshot up to #2 steel, then #1 Buckshot and Slugs. I learned one very important lesson. Without a rifled barrel, but using rifled slugs, an Improved Cylinder choke gave the best results out to 100 yards. If I switched to Modified the slugs would be 6-12 high/low. However, Modified choke was best for Buckshot past 20 yards. So my thought that I could use both with the same choke would only work if the deer was really close.

Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]