Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:10 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Do You Have A favorite Dry-Fire Gizmo? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A number of systems have hit the market of late. What did you get and how does it function for you?

Dry fire alone (with an empty gun) is good practice but doesn't provide feedback for where your sights are when the gun goes 'click'. The newer gizmos have lazers and some interface with your phone... What's been your experience?

EDIT:
(Will add those items I've seen, for your commentary.)

https://www.dryfiremag.com/product/dryfiremag-g9x19-2/

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a green gas airsoft version of my real pistol. It's a great trainer; definitely better than just regular dry fire practice.

A buddy has one of the SIRT training pistols, and while it's very cool that the trigger resets, I wanted something with a reciprocating slide, so I went with airsoft.

Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:57 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am actually doing a review for MantisX now. I am reviewing the MantisX Elite system and it's pretty kick ass. Review should be out in a couple weeks.

Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:25 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've used the MantisX a bit. While it doesn't know or care where the gun is pointing, its ability to measure the smoothness of your trigger squeeze is pretty amazing, and I'm convinced that routine use of the MantisX will have a very positive impact on your pistol shooting.

We can all line up sights on the target. That's the easy part. The hard part is getting the shot off without jerking those sights off of the target . . . and that's what MantisX will help you with.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:43 am

I've had a MantisX for about two months now and I really like it. It's made a big difference in my groups at 15 yards with three different pistols. I like the oddball drills du jour offered up by the app - a couple weeks ago there was one where you dry fire while balancing a glass of water on your head. Monday it was lean out from a door and fire.

I wouldn't say my live fire is impeccable now but it's darn good and one thing that has really improved with the use of the MantisX is my ability to feel when I am doing it right. Like, if I fire five rounds through the same ragged hole I can feel the difference from if I fire five rounds into a 3" cluster.

I did not shoot very well on my first live fire exercise with it which I chalk up to trying to do too many things at once and the growing pains of new gear. I got over it and the last time I shot was this weekend and it was absolute laser beams at 15 yards.

The ability to join groups and see what your friends are doing and discuss different drills or types of flinches is cool and it helps keep me motivated to practice every night.

I haven't tried it on a rifle yet but I have an adapter.

Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a couple different Laserlyte reactive targets that either move, make noise or light up when hit to show shot placement. Some have timers on them, which I don't use myself.

I also use this system- idryfire.com
It is a very basic, sort of cheesy laser cartridge system that uses a camera attached to a PC to show where shots hit on a target. Cheap but functional. You have to stand next to the PC to view your groups and reset targets, sort of a pain. No Android app was available at the time I got mine.

Obviously with striker fired pistols, or guns with non exposed hammers, the slide needs to be operated after each shot, which can also be irritating. Most of my guns are 1911 platforms, wheel guns or other forms of exposed hammer, so just thumbing the hammer back sets up for the next shot.

Overall the system is a little gimmicky, I played with it a lot at first, but quickly lost interest. Being lazy, regular dryfire exercise while watching TV is more my style, but for somebody with a tiny bit of discipline or dedication, it might be a quick and cheap entry level system. It will work with any laser cartridge, so if you already have some, that might be a bonus.

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Coincidentally, I just received an email advert for MantisX. In that is a video. Watch the guy cycle the slide, and tell me where his left index finger goes.

https://youtu.be/sKpQRoaMENk

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:44 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Yep a Competition Dynamics (CED) timer set on random par time.

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Airsoft/BB replica of firearm.
AZoom Snap Caps - mix with live rounds at range to practice malfunctions or just use them for dry fire
TRT Tap Dry Rack Aid - place in mags and prevents slide from locking back
Pink Rhino Laser Bullet
LaserLyte Laser Target

Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WaJim wrote:

Yep a Competition Dynamics (CED) timer set on random par time.

Is this in answer to where his left index finger goes?
I was referring to how he manipulated the slide.

Thanks Rainier! I'll certainly look into your listed items.

FJB

Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Mantis Blackbeard looks very cool but expensive. Top ramen for a month or two!

BTW: MantisX sounds like what Zombee66 is always muttering under his breath :bigsmile:

FJB

Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:45 am

The Blackbeard does look extremely cool. Maybe when the overtime gate opens a little wider.

Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:53 am

I use a Laserammo cartridge and one of their Laser PET targets. Have had them for a few years now and use them for dry fire in 9, 45, and 45 Colt (adapter sleeve).

This year with not being able to get to the range as much I have been using it in a CZ75B (DA/SA) so I don't have to rack a slide or pull the hammer back for each shot.

Aside from dry fire I have used it for sighting in a scope @ 25 yards at home (cartridge can be set to continuous mode on a firing pin strike).

Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:51 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bilgetroll wrote:
The Blackbeard does look extremely cool. Maybe when the overtime gate opens a little wider.

I plan on trying to get a Blackbeard for review after the MantisX review posts...

Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:22 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bilgetroll wrote:

If in Yakima you can try out both blackbeard and mantisx at The Range: therangellc.com

Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next