Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:50 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Another question about LPVO’s 
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Caveman Jim wrote:
Another question, are there any reputable quick disconnect mounts you would recommend?

What are your budget constraints? I have a bobro on my .50 that has been outstanding at returning to zero but it’s a pricey mount

Bobro Engineering Precision Optic Mount 30mm Rings (B03-200-300), Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O5HUXF6/re ... TB5EKCSSBV

Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any prismatic optical sight, be it a non-magnified or a true 1x LPVO, is not going to give you the ability to use the irons through it. You might be able to adjust the diopter to focus the front sight but that likely won't work for focusing the reticle. A quick detach mount or offset irons/red dot is a more useful option.

Sent from my SM-T878U using Tapatalk

Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LaRue Tactical and American Defense have worked well for me, with the American Defense being more affordable. As Sinus stated, the Bobro is a great choice as well but not inexpensive.

Sent from my SM-T878U using Tapatalk

Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LaRue :plusone:

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Budget for a LPVO and a mount is max at $400. I might as well forget a good QD mount then.

Thanks again gents.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Leupold's Freedom series LVPO is in $299.99 MSRP range. 1.5-4x

I've found their scopes' eye relief more useful than most of the Vortex scopes I've gandered through.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:06 pm

Caveman Jim wrote:
Budget for a LPVO and a mount is max at $400. I might as well forget a good QD mount then.

Thanks again gents.

I’d get a Burris RT6 over the Strike Eagle in your original post. The glass is clearer on the Burris. They also carry a great warranty. Illumination is about the same as the SE…not daylight bright. You can usually find the scope only on sale for like sub $300. If you watch /r/GunDeals on Reddit, sometimes its bundled with a decent mount for around $350. I think BassPro sells it for $350 with a PEPR mount but those are bulky and mighty heavy. If you follow /r/GunAccessoriesforSale on Reddit, you can usually snag a used one for a good price too.

In terms of mounts, I happen to only use Larue mounts now. Such a shame they raised the price of the LT204 to over $200. It was a steal when it was $145. I bought 3. Should have bought more. You can probably find some on the used market for about $145 still.

Now if want to spend a little more money, the Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 1-6 is awesome for $500 to $600 or if you’re looking used, Steiner P4Xi 1-4. Those are the two I run now….on Larue mounts. Have no issues hitting the 440 yard plate at the range.

Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lots of very helpful info!!! I figured I might as well save up some more money before jumping on anything.
A member just offered me look see at his 1-6 Strike Eagle and Steiner 1-4 in the very near future. :thumbsup2:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i've had a 1-6x strike eagle and a 1-8x Valdata and tbh i loved the valdata but unless money isn't really a concern i don't find it necessary for the added cost and think you would be happy (and capable) with the Vortex. i'd wait a bit longer though and see if you can stretch the $400 budget a bit as good quality mounts can get pricey.

Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:53 am

Caveman Jim wrote:
Lots of very helpful info!!! I figured I might as well save up some more money before jumping on anything.
A member just offered me look see at his 1-6 Strike Eagle and Steiner 1-4 in the very near future. :thumbsup2:

Definitely get the Steiner. Super clear glass and very daylight bright dot. The 4x clarity does way better than the SE on 6x.

Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:10 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just a question, Jim . . . do you need the 1x for what you're doing? Or would you be happier with a traditional magnified scope, a 3-9x or whatever?

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Just a question, Jim . . . do you need the 1x for what you're doing? Or would you be happier with a traditional magnified scope, a 3-9x or whatever?

That is why I’m compiling information, as I said before I have hunted with traditional optics years ago. I want to check out the new one improved technology, yeah I know, I’m an old fart and preach sticking with the old stuff but the older eyes deserve better.

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caveman Jim wrote:
MadPick wrote:

That is why I’m compiling information, as I said before I have hunted with traditional optics years ago. I want to check out the new one improved technology, yeah I know, I’m an old fart and preach sticking with the old stuff but the older eyes deserve better.

Is this going to be your "house gun"? 1x is probably going to be a good thing to include in your scope's capabilities.

Is it your varmint and steel ringing target gun? Maybe Steve's pointing you the right way?

FJB

Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caveman Jim wrote:
Another question, are there any reputable quick disconnect mounts you would recommend?

I have one of these Jim. Rock solid with two locking lugs. Not cheap, but it's a nice QD mount.

https://www.gggaz.com/ac-30-quick-detac ... mount.html

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
Caveman Jim wrote:
MadPick wrote:

Is this going to be your "house gun"? 1x is probably going to be a good thing to include in your scope's capabilities.
Nope
Is it your varmint and steel ringing target gun? Maybe Steve's pointing you the right way?

As stated in my OP “ for my distance AR (100-200 yrds minimum)” and “ I’m actually wanting to be able to shoot steel plates from 1 to 200 yards for practice/training in case the SHTF.
My house gun is a 300BLK pistol.

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next