Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:58 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Safe/Vault Organization Thread 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I looked, Mods, dont get mad if this is a repost.

I know there has been talk, and even some threads that touch on buying and installing safes, building Vault Rooms, etc. I figured this could be a catch all for those topics, as well as organization.

I recently scored a Liberty Colonial 50, from NW Safe's Balck Friday sale. We had been toying with building a 4'x7' Vault Room for a couple years now, and do to time and money, this safe was the best solution for us. Colonial 50 - 75 Min Fire Protection
https://nwsafe.com/collections/gun-safe ... olonial-50

Does anyone have any favorite tips or tricks, products for organizing? I bought some rifle rods in anticipation of my ARs and other shorter guns. Havent been able to decide on a method for storing pistols yet.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice safe, Kyle.

Safes are like sardine cans. To accommodate the number of guns they are reputed to hold you have to nest them together pretty tightly. And if they have optics, either the glass has to come off or you loose one of those spots.

I now have a job box for all the do-dads that are not firearms, and plan to do away with the shelves that occupy one half of my safe. I'll use empty Keystone six-pack cans still in the plastic rings to store my hand guns on the top shelves. :bigsmile:

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I put all my long guns in gun socks (they make wider ones for scoped rifles) and then jam as many of them in as I can. Some are muzzle up, some are muzzle down. I write on the tags on the ends so I know which is which.

I don't have many handguns, so mine fit in the pockets on the door organizer. If I had more, I'd probably invest in one of those slotted racks and keep it on the top shelf.

I will eventually step up my safe game, but not until after I move.

Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: no longer in a van down by the river (... at least anywhere near South King County)
jukk0u wrote:
Nice safe, Kyle.
. I'll use empty Keystone six-pack cans still in the plastic rings to store my hand guns on the top shelves. :bigsmile:

Trying to picture this......

Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use rods. I have some that came with the safe, but now I make them myself out of a wooden dowel, brass welding rods and velcro.

Allows me to maximize floor space versus racking. I made a shelf out of loaded ammo cans and plywood wrapped in carpet to stand the shorter rifles on.

Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:04 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

One part that I changed when moving to a new safe is no ammo. I have a separate place for it. I find that I can continue to grow my gun collection and not worry that I bought another 1000 rounds of 223 last week.

I use rifle rods and lace the interior with LED lights. Also. the underside of the shelves did not have Velcro loop material for the rifle rods, so I had to staple/adhesive it to all the shelves.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:18 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DM47 wrote:
jukk0u wrote:
Nice safe, Kyle.
. I'll use empty Keystone six-pack cans still in the plastic rings to store my hand guns on the top shelves. :bigsmile:

Me too! Can you explain or show pics Juk?

Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I gave up on ammo storage in the safe awhile ago. A HD JOBOX with a surrounded lock in a secured, alarmed area, bolted and chained (and insured) works great for ammo all kept in various ammo carrier boxes (surplus to plastic).

My safe is full, fairly organized. PLUS I have a Sentinel locking long gun cabinet attached to the side of the safe. I know - not ideal - but lower cost guns that won't fit in the main safe go in there. The house is alarmed and my office also has standalone sensors and system. If a thief starts there thinking it will be easy......good luck.....

Now as for a safe, yes like a jigsaw puzzle - but this cannot happen without the guns being padded/sleeved. Since I moved I have quite a number of leftover treated cloth sleeves. They breathe, plus the guns are well lubed. I now use corner element heater and stainless desiccant cans, which do take up some room but keep the humidity between 40-45%. Handguns are on hangers, in a cubby holder or stacked.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KeystoneCowboy wrote:
I looked, Mods, dont get mad if this is a repost.

I know there has been talk, and even some threads that touch on buying and installing safes, building Vault Rooms, etc. I figured this could be a catch all for those topics, as well as organization.

I recently scored a Liberty Colonial 50, from NW Safe's Balck Friday sale. We had been toying with building a 4'x7' Vault Room for a couple years now, and do to time and money, this safe was the best solution for us. Colonial 50 - 75 Min Fire Protection
https://nwsafe.com/collections/gun-safe ... olonial-50

Does anyone have any favorite tips or tricks, products for organizing? I bought some rifle rods in anticipation of my ARs and other shorter guns. Havent been able to decide on a method for storing pistols yet.

I have the same model, same company and while the first impressions were “it is huge”, then I started adding and adding and adding and I probably should get another one. Lol
Good luck with your quest. :wink05:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DM47 wrote:
jukk0u wrote:
Nice safe, Kyle.

Me toooooo, math hard…. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The pistol shelf hangers have proven the best for me. There are kinds that allow two per hanger slips onto the shelf, has one below that works great for full sizes and another above perfect for the stubbies and compafts. Cleaned up the safe a lot for me.
I do keep a couple in holsters laying flat as those are loaded ready for use.

If its a 50 gun assume about 1 half is the real number and as mentioned above with acopes and other stuff cut in half again to get the real storage.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Proverbs 27:12 -- “A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.”
Need Long term Food or Survival Supplies, I have extras, Grab the Supplies_Available.pdf. Prices Quoted are close to my actual cost:
https://backupcomputing.workplace.datto.com/filelink/6af06-883bf7e-31d469c0e1-2
Link corrected 1/30/2021.

The prudent Wagunner trains and prepares to defend themselves and their families, friends, and neighbors. They also are prepared to feed, shelter, and provide aid as well.
Danger is coming and may already be here, how prepared are you? Click the link above for lots of good info to get started.

Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:22 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Col_Temp wrote:
The pistol shelf hangers have proven the best for me. There are kinds that allow two per hanger slips onto the shelf, has one below that works great for full sizes and another above perfect for the stubbies and compafts. Cleaned up the safe a lot for me.
I do keep a couple in holsters laying flat as those are loaded ready for use.

If its a 50 gun assume about 1 half is the real number and as mentioned above with acopes and other stuff cut in half again to get the real storage.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

The 50 isn't necessarily the gun count. Not quite sure what it pertains to. The specs call for "64 long guns", though I know I wont be anywhere near that.
From what I can tell, Gun Storage Solutions seems to have some great products. I want to get them ordered now, and waiting for the safe, but I am somewhat particular on organizational stuff. Would hate to not order correctly or have to rearrange. So I'm stuff in a sort of analysis paralysis at the moment.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WaGuns is the Headquarters of Paralysis by Analysis :cheers2:

Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KeystoneCowboy wrote:
Havent been able to decide on a method for storing pistols yet.

Pegboard, with plastidip spray for the pegboard hooks.

Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
WaGuns is the Headquarters of Paralysis by Analysis :cheers2:

I'm trying to spend money, but it seems no one wants to spend my money for me! :bigsmile:

Just tell me what works and what will make me happy and not rearrange my safe 8 times.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next