Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:38 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Hearing Protection 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What's wrong with the electronic earbuds you've looked at, what are your requirements, and what can they not meet?

Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

snozzberries wrote:
What's wrong with the electronic earbuds you've looked at, what are your requirements, and what can they not meet?
They don’t seal very well, results in lower db mitigation, and they’re not like my Howard leight electronic muffs. I tried Axil and walkers. Both were terrible.

If I could pair the decibullz form fit with something that has the functionality of my AirPod pro’s, I’d buy those in a heartbeat.

In my opinion, technology is there, but you’ll have to pay to be an early adopter. I’m pretty sure the 3M Peltor TEP-100 Tactical Digital Earplugs are the closest thing and they’re $725.

Nearly every electronic earbud on this list is great…. Until they stop working. Big problem for me that these aren’t completely consistent. The decibullz are the only ones that work consistently because they don’t need a battery.

https://www.heavy.com/outdoors/shooting-ear-plugs/amp/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Mr. Q.

Today I wore a set of 33db foam plugs under my 26db electronic ear muffs, while shooting my 45acp and 45lc pistols in an enclosed outdoor range. (Kenmore)

I tried it with both just the muffs, and with both. I felt like just the muffs was fine, with both it was for sure much quieter. Nobody else was there though so I couldn't see how well the electronic ear muffs worked with the plugs, for talking to people.

Have you (or anybody) run custom fit plugs under electronic ear muffs, and been able to talk to people easily?

Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Huh. I’ve never even considered to be honest. The 30db reduction plus my suppressors (I rarely shoot unsuppressed these days) indoor or outdoor have never given me issues.

I haven’t tried electronic muffs over earbuds, but I’d imagine they would work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: no longer in a van down by the river (... at least anywhere near South King County)
snozzberries wrote:

Have you (or anybody) run custom fit plugs under electronic ear muffs, and been able to talk to people easily?

I do, depending on the situation (indoors, "enclosed" outdoor range, etc). I have Westone plugs with a few different filters, and Walker muffs. I like how they work together in those environments.
There may be some better devices and options, but I don't get a chance to try every new thing and evaluate them. :bigsmile:

Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Plugs and e-muffs.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:59 am

Electronic muffs when suppressed, E- muffs and mostly 1 ear plug in right ear when shooting rifle, E- muffs when shooting pistols.

Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:42 pm

I double up. I wear the higher NRR foam plugs, and an electronic set of muffs. They have a lower NRR rating, I think only 21 or maybe 24, but with the plugs they are enough. They also amplify sounds so that I can hear a normal conversation without having to remove my earpro.

The rating is going to be "enough" based on what the loudness of the original sound is. This is the level of sound that can cause damage over the listed time periods, https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/hearing_loss/w ... %20rows%20

This list looks pretty accurate, but I'd still want it much less than 140. https://www.silencercentral.com/wp-cont ... _chart.pdf

Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Unicorn. That Silencerco PDF helps. A .308 is 167db. 140db is the safe limit. 167db - 26db ear muffs is 141db. So unsafe. 30db ear muffs would be 137db.

Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for all the info everybody. I decided to take this seriously, so I contacted my cousin, instead of just listening to all of you. She's got a PhD in Audiology, and is currently a Professor at a University. She told me to get custom molded plugs made. I've got an apt scheduled for this Wednesday, to get molds of my ears made. Then I'll be working with Westone to get plugs made.

Westone has several whitepapers on their website. I've quoted the interesting parts below.

Exposures of Helicopter Pilots and Gunners to Firearm Noise and Lead During Gunnery Target Training Exercises
https://www.westone.com/store/downloads ... 6-3201.pdf
Quote:
Ensure that flight crew and gunners are fitted for and continue to use double hearing
protection.

Westone Whitepaper, NRR vs IPIL
https://www.westone.com/store/downloads ... _Paper.pdf
Quote:
NIOSH has recommended that hunters and shooters wear dual protection, earmuffs and
plugs, when engaging in target practice and recreational shooting.

CDC Workplace Safety and Health
https://www.westone.com/store/downloads ... 9-3140.pdf

Quote:
Noise dosimeter microphones and electronic circuitry do not adequately capture peak noise levels above the maximum range of the instrument and “clip” noise levels at approximately 145 dB. Previous research on the use of dosimeters for gunfire measurements concluded that these electroacoustic limitations produce errors in calculating TWA noise levels from impulsive noise environments [Kardous et al. 2003; Kardous and Willson 2004]. Therefore, personal TWA noise measurements from gunfire noise collected with dosimeters should be interpreted cautiously and considered to underrepresent noise exposure and hearing loss risk from gunfire noise.

Quote:
Because of the high noise levels in firing ranges, double hearing protection is necessary to protect hearing. Research has reported that double hearing protection can provide the additional noise reduction needed in high noise level environments [Berger 1983].

Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If only I listened years ago - the tinnitus has got me now. It's progressive and only gets worse.

Now it's foam plugs, electronic muffs and suppressors.

Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2