Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:21 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Damaged AR Upper Pivot Pin Area 

Was working on an AR upper and it fell off my work bench and hit my garage floor. Dinged the edge of the block the pivot pin passes through and crushed it enough that I can get the pivot pin 2/3 of the way through but then hit heavy resistance. I was able to drive it through with a spare pin and punch but I don’t want to be hammering my upper off and on lowers whenever I need to clean it. I tried driving the pin through a couple times in each direction but it is still malformed enough that isn’t a great solution. Anybody dealt with that before? My brother said a reamer would probably be needed to fix it.

Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It’s a 1/4” hole so you can try a 1/4” drill bit.
A reamer would work also.

Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You could try and drill it out a little, it shouldn't take much. There's also replacement takedown pins you could get that make pulling the rear pin out easier with a ring or paracord pull on it.

Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

survivor wrote:

Use a reamer, not a drill bit.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
survivor wrote:

Use a reamer, not a drill bit.

:yes: :plusone:

And I little drop of A9 for lube.

Well, when I looked around all I saw was a pimp with a shiny pair of shoes and a '49 Mercury!

Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:48 pm

If you can take a picture of the affected area. Even a reamer might be too much. Tolerance for the hole should be .250-.251 you go too much then if becomes a wobbling, useless monster. you might get away with a littler emery cloth or fine grit sandpaper in just the affected area.

Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:19 pm

Ace wrote:
If you can take a picture of the affected area. Even a reamer might be too much. Tolerance for the hole should be .250-.251 you go too much then if becomes a wobbling, useless monster. you might get away with a littler emery cloth or fine grit sandpaper in just the affected area.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Attached are the photos. It is a Gibbz side charging upper so not thrilled I let it pop off my workbench. I think it is beyond a little sanding. I tried a file just a small amount on the dinged end with little improvement. To get the pin through I have to drive it with a hammer and pin punch. I did that about two times from each side to see if that pushed it back into shape using a spare pin I had. I mean helped a small amount but not much. Seems a bit crushed on the damaged end. Based on the pics would a 1/4" reamer be the way to go in this situation? Do I need a drill press or would I be able to do it with a hand drill? I did contact Gibbz so maybe they will let me send it in to them to fix.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, personally…

Put the pin in and let it be. It doesn’t impair function. You can still take down (shotgun) the AR and clean and do all the things. It’s structurally sound. It’s definitely cosmetic.

I wouldn’t spend money on repair but that’s me. You dropped it. Life goes on. But if you have the money and it bothers you that it got a ding. Then spend away.

Me - buy more mags and ammo with money not spent on repairing cosmetic issue???

But my perspective is that firearms are tools. Sometime pretty but used… and abused by use. FYI - I have broken more guns than most own. (Fortunately for me most have been under warranty so got them fixed pretty cheap/free).

Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This appears to be the front pin? If so, put it together and leave the front pin in place, just remove the rear pin for cleaning.

Any attempt to open up the hole will probably be futile, the hole is now oblong and fits tight on one side, removing that material will make it loose on all sides

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:06 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TINCANBANDIT wrote:
This appears to be the front pin? If so, put it together and leave the front pin in place, just remove the rear pin for cleaning.

Any attempt to open up the hole will probably be futile, the hole is now oblong and fits tight on one side, removing that material will make it loose on all sides

:plusone:

On another note if that is your designated gun cleaning/building/maintenance area put down a rubber mat. It will help your back and save these type of stories for the other guys.

Good Luck

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:16 am

If that were my gun, I'd rather MOVE material, than REmove with drill bit or reamer.

I'd either use a tapered punch to widen the hole back out, or (more likely) just pound the pivot pin back in and leave it.

While I sometimes remove upper from lower for a thorough cleaning, not being able to do so would'nt be a deal breaker, for me.

Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As someone who's paid to drill holes in aluminum, I would only drill or ream as a last resort. You'll probably end up with a sloppy oversized mess. I like Vin's idea of using a taper punch to recircularize the hole. Be gentle though, the alloys used in AR receivers are not very ductile and will crack if bent too much. Instead of reaming, I would use a fine tooth round file to return the hole to round. File a little and test fit often until you get a satisfactory fit. You'll need to file smooth the dents and gouges on the outside where it hit the floor to remove stress rises which could form cracks.

Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:22 am

Doesn't look too deformed. You might get away with cleaning it up a little with fine sand paper or a stone. Just remove the jagged edges and nothing else then touch it up with a sharpie.

Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Smallest chainsaw file you can buy.

DONT drill it. DONT ream it.

The drill and the ream will take material off the smashed side AND the side 180 degrees from it as the drill/ream tries to center itself into the "newly tightened" opening. The resulting hole will be sloppy and offcenter/misaligned.

Take the chainsaw file and barely draw it across the smashed side/edge until the pin just passes thru snugly.

Check it between EVERY file stroke.

Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
Smallest chainsaw file you can buy.

DONT drill it. DONT ream it.

The drill and the ream will take material off the smashed side AND the side 180 degrees from it as the drill/ream tries to center itself into the "newly tightened" opening. The resulting hole will be sloppy and offcenter/misaligned.

Take the chainsaw file and barely draw it across the smashed side/edge until the pin just passes thru snugly.

Check it between EVERY file stroke.

This is exactly my thoughts...shouldn't take more than a few light strokes to clean it up.

Gotta love how loggers think...

-- Travis A Kisner

Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next