Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:07 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 .30 federal super carry 

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/content/first-look-federal-premium-30-super-carry-ammunition/

Looks like they dropped a new pistol cartridge. Imagine a 32 acp but longer. From what I've read and saw it's ballistic performance is similar to 9mm but has a smaller cartridge so you can fit more in the mags. Intended for the trendy pocket carry autos so imagine 17 rounds in a shield plus size package. Pricing and availability is going to be on par with .380 so I don't think 9mm is going anywhere. The pistols I saw them shooting were M&P EZ and a 1911 style, but they said the EZ held 10 in the mag instead of the regular 8 that the 9mm can hold. From what I can tell all they did was a barrel swap. Looks interesting but I don't think a lot of people will be trading in their 9mm for this.

Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ace wrote:
https://www.shootingillustrated.com/content/first-look-federal-premium-30-super-carry-ammunition/

Looks like they dropped a new pistol cartridge. Imagine a 32 acp but longer. From what I've read and saw it's ballistic performance is similar to 9mm but has a smaller cartridge so you can fit more in the mags. Intended for the trendy pocket carry autos so imagine 17 rounds in a shield plus size package. Pricing and availability is going to be on par with .380 so I don't think 9mm is going anywhere. The pistols I saw them shooting were M&P EZ and a 1911 style, but they said the EZ held 10 in the mag instead of the regular 8 that the 9mm can hold. From what I can tell all they did was a barrel swap. Looks interesting but I don't think a lot of people will be trading in their 9mm for this.

No, this is not an enthusiast's cartridge. It's for the first time buyer. Non-gun nuts look for lightest, cheapest, most bullets, and smallest when buying a handgun. Seen it over and over. If Hi-Point made a double stack for $150 they'd sell millions. As it is they do pretty well with their single stack bricks.

So if the counter guy can say, "but this version is just like the 9mm but holds two more boolits" to someone (who has NO IDEA it's brand new and 9mm has been around for over 100 years) it's a win for the sales pitch.

Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:12 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

hkcavalier wrote:
It's for the first time buyer.

I partially agree. Yeah, if you're buying your first self-defense gun and if .30 Super Carry really does have similar ballistics to a 9mm, then it would be the no-brainer choice.

hkcavalier wrote:
Non-gun nuts look for lightest, cheapest, most bullets, and smallest when buying a handgun.

Yes, but . . . don't the rest of us look for pretty much the same thing when buying a self-defense gun?

I replaced my older carry guns with my P365 because it was smaller, lighter and held more rounds. Why wouldn't I replace the P365 with a .30 Super Carry gun to get even smaller, or have more capacity?

I dunno. My initial reaction is negative, but I think that's just my inner fudd saying, "don't mess with my 9mm." If I take a step back, I'm having a hard time finding a downside to the .30 Super Carry except that it's new and different.

It will be interesting to see how successful it is, and where it stands in 10 years.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I'm missing something here.
Every time I googled .30 super carry pistols, either I only got the ammo or just one pistol. The Nighthawk 1911. I couldn't seem to find any other pistols to even look at.
Help on isle 9 please.

Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:38 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

The S&W EZ is also available in 30 Super Carry.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love my .30 Super Carry Magnum aka 7.62x25 Tokarev!
:wink05:

Last edited by surevaliance on Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Found this.
Too funny...
<snip>
Quote:
If you use a 9mm pistol for defense and you’d rather have a cartridge that has less energy, makes smaller holes in bad guys, has smaller hollow-point cavities for less expansion, is harder to find in stores, and is more expensive, then the 30 Super Carry is for you!

Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My initial reaction is skepticism. It seems unlikely that a smaller round, with both a smaller bullet and a smaller case capacity, would have similar ballistics to 9mm. Metallurgy hasn't changed, there's no new super metal that allows for a stronger built gun in the same size to hold a higher pressure round to push a smaller bullet to have the same energy as a larger round.

Of course, if it works and they can get it to 9mm prices, it will be a game changer. I'm just skeptical that this will be the case.

Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
hkcavalier wrote:

I partially agree. Yeah, if you're buying your first self-defense gun and if .30 Super Carry really does have similar ballistics to a 9mm, then it would be the no-brainer choice.

hkcavalier wrote:
Non-gun nuts look for lightest, cheapest, most bullets, and smallest when buying a handgun.

Yes, but . . . don't the rest of us look for pretty much the same thing when buying a self-defense gun?

I replaced my older carry guns with my P365 because it was smaller, lighter and held more rounds. Why wouldn't I replace the P365 with a .30 Super Carry gun to get even smaller, or have more capacity?

I dunno. My initial reaction is negative, but I think that's just my inner fudd saying, "don't mess with my 9mm." If I take a step back, I'm having a hard time finding a downside to the .30 Super Carry except that it's new and different.

It will be interesting to see how successful it is, and where it stands in 10 years.

It's sort of analogous to a guy with 4 quality .45ACP guns and deciding to buy a .45GAP gun. Of course there's some minor advantage to the .45GAP, but no way he really does it over a .45ACP gun because he already has the ammo.

I know guys who went all in on .400 Cor-Bon who won't get a 10mm or .40 because "We got .40/10mm at home" to borrow from the popular meme.

The problem right now is manufacturers and ammo makers will have to give away the store in order to create a customer base. "Buy dis thirty cal and get 4 boxes of ammo for free!" sort of thing. And they're not going to do that. Unless they're going to price .30SC less than 9mm it will die on the vine. At least they don't have to compete with cheap milsurp anymore.

50/50 this goes the .41AE route.

Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:01 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

hkcavalier wrote:
50/50 this goes the .41AE route.

Yup, no argument there.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:03 pm

MadPick wrote:
hkcavalier wrote:

hkcavalier wrote:

There was a time when a lot of Americans would not trust the 9mm to put their dog down with, much less defend your life. Times do change. This cartridge basically is a stretched out .32acp so more powder means more velocity. I was always curious to see what would happen if the .30 luger took off rather than the 9mm. Maybe this is just it coming back to life?

Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:18 pm

As a revolver guy, I thought the .327 Federal was a neat concept. 6 shots of almost .357 magnum power in a J-frame S&W. Problem is, the ammo has never been readily available, and the chamberings have been rather limited. Finally decided that if 5 rounds of .357 won't get the job done, a 6th round of .327 probably won't matter.

If .327 Federal ever becomes more available, the Ruger Single Seven is still on my short list, though.

The 30 Super Carry will probably appeal most to the competition crowd trying to cram 25 rounds in a double stack race gun.

Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mdcaldwell wrote:
As a revolver guy, I thought the .327 Federal was a neat concept. 6 shots of almost .357 magnum power in a J-frame S&W. Problem is, the ammo has never been readily available, and the chamberings have been rather limited. Finally decided that if 5 rounds of .357 won't get the job done, a 6th round of .327 probably won't matter.

If .327 Federal ever becomes more available, the Ruger Single Seven is still on my short list, though.

The 30 Super Carry will probably appeal most to the competition crowd trying to cram 25 rounds in a double stack race gun.

That's an interesting angle, competition. We'll have to see.

Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:10 pm
FFL / Dealer

If they come out in a full size G17 grip sized that holds over 20 rds at that point Ill think it over.

Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder what would be the muzzle velocity of 85-grain with maximum acceptable charge?
Could it exceed 1700 fps?

Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next