Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:12 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Question about non- semiautomatic AR definitions 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am assuming that in order to be considered as a single shot (non-self-loading in this case) an AR type rifle would need to have no provision in the barrel to attach a gas tube (ie, gas port not drilled in barrel), rather than simply not having a tube attatched at the moment. Does anyone know if there is wording to this effect (or other) floating around? My google-fu is weak this morning apparently... looking for a legal definition, obviously removing or crimping the tube makes it FUNCTIONALLY single shot...
Thanks!

Last edited by Normanator on Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:45 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think it would depend on the specific law you are trying to meet.

When we talk about Washington laws, we look at Washington state legal definitions, as an example.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A bolt action or lever action is not a single shot rifle if it has provision to hold ammo in a magazine. I'd think an AR would fit the same definitions, but I don't know of any requirements to do so.

Are you confusing semi-auto and single shot functions? One has to do with automatically loading the next round, the other has to do with holding ammo in the gun. Two different things.

Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, I meant bolt action but my tired brain came up with single shot because I had just read some thread where folks had to buy actual break open, single load style ARs to be legal to purchase. Been around firearms for 30+ years, but since WA has the "SARs are bad" deal now, was curious how they defined conversion to bolt action to effect the status of the rifle.... does it need to be permanently modified (weld gas port/no gas port), simply not able to function at the time of purchase (remove gas tube or use a bolt with no gas key), or if ever convertible to semi auto, is it an SAR (including carbine kits for glock or 1911 lowers)?

Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:52 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

RCW 9.41.010 says:

“ (27) "Semiautomatic assault rifle" means any rifle which utilizes a portion of the energy of a firing cartridge to extract the fired cartridge case and chamber the next round, and which requires a separate pull of the trigger to fire each cartridge.
"Semiautomatic assault rifle" does not include antique firearms, any firearm that has been made permanently inoperable, or any firearm that is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action.”

So as I read it, if it doesn’t eject the empty and load a fresh round when you pull the trigger, it’s not a SAR.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see that OP is in Montana, but for any WA readers note that the pending WA bill 5217 will ban all AR-15s and AK’s in “all forms” not only semiautomatic.

https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium ... 0114093527

Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:38 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

MadPick wrote:
RCW 9.41.010 says:

“ (27) "Semiautomatic assault rifle" means any rifle which utilizes a portion of the energy of a firing cartridge to extract the fired cartridge case and chamber the next round, and which requires a separate pull of the trigger to fire each cartridge.
"Semiautomatic assault rifle" does not include antique firearms, any firearm that has been made permanently inoperable, or any firearm that is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action.”

So as I read it, if it doesn’t eject the empty and load a fresh round when you pull the trigger, it’s not a SAR.

I'm not aware of any legal opinions, AG directives, etc. that flesh out the RCW definition. So in my non-lawyer, non-legal advice option, if you had an AR without a gas tube then you wouldn't have a SAR. Or an AR without a drilled gas port, or with any other alteration that prevented it from cycling.

Of course, this is all about rifles. An AR pistol is not a SAR, since it's not a rifle.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As I've thought about this type of question in the past, the answer I came to was something like the Remington 7615P.
https://www.americanrifleman.org/conten ... ion-rifle/

Or is this purely an exercise in how you can have an AR-15 type rifle that doesn't function like an AR-15?

I wish technology solved people issues. It seems to just reveal them.

Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gman wrote:
Or is this purely an exercise in how you can have an AR-15 type rifle that doesn't function like an AR-15?

Much more this. If a shop could simply remove a gas tube, life would be so much easier for us peons trying to exercise our rights.

Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:47 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Normanator wrote:
Gman wrote:

Much more this. If a shop could simply remove a gas tube, life would be so much easier for us peons trying to exercise our rights.

Well, if you're just trying to avoid the SAR issue, then buy the upper and lower separately. No games, you're good to go.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Normanator wrote:
Gman wrote:

Even with the gas tube removed the gas port and gas block would still work. That might cause an issue

Not so much a legal issue but a gas shooting back at you sort of issue

Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:22 pm

Normanator wrote:
Gman wrote:

Not sure how well that would work. A malfunctioning "SAR" is still a "SAR," most likely. Stick a semi auto trigger in a full auto/burst M16 and it's still a machine gun. There is precedence.

Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unicorn wrote:
Not sure how well that would work. A malfunctioning "SAR" is still a "SAR," most likely. Stick a semi auto trigger in a full auto/burst M16 and it's still a machine gun. There is precedence.

That is true of federal law but we're talking about state law

State law doesn't have language about "designed to", "redesigned to", "could easily be converted to", or anything like that. It only specifies what the rifle is at the moment

Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:39 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

User 1234 wrote:
I see that OP is in Montana, but for any WA readers note that the pending WA bill 5217 will ban all AR-15s and AK’s in “all forms” not only semiautomatic.

https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium ... 0114093527
This bill says it was introduced last year (2021). Has a new one been filed for this year (2022)?

Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
Normanator wrote:
Gman wrote:

Even with the gas tube removed the gas port and gas block would still work. That might cause an issue

Not so much a legal issue but a gas shooting back at you sort of issue

So remove the gas tube and turn the gas block around backwards to block the port. Done.

Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next