Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:24 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Pistol transfer question 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I wanted to give my stepson a pistol for his birthday, do we need to have an fro transfer it?

He's of legal age and is not legally barred from owning one.

Fri May 20, 2022 7:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.113

Quote:
(4) This section does not apply to:
(a) A transfer between immediate family members, which for this subsection shall be limited to spouses, domestic partners, parents, parents-in-law, children, siblings, siblings-in-law, grandparents, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, first cousins, aunts, and uncles, that is a bona fide gift or loan;

Fri May 20, 2022 8:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you

Fri May 20, 2022 8:21 am

INAL and not to cast a dispersion...but...

1. the legal status of a 'step-child' in a mixed marriage family is gray, e.g., on rights etc., especially if you note in the R.C.W 9.41.113 the term "step-" doesn't appear in the statutory content.

2. that the individual is of 'age' and presumed not adopted, could present issues in and of itself if something wayward occurs though use, legal or otherwise, could cause you to have to judicially defend yourself!

3. aft is vague regarding "step-child" terminology

so, while the penalty is considered 'a gross misdemeanor' do you wish to go through the goat rope of having to spend $$$ to defend yourself?

transfer the firearm via a FFL and avoid the 'what ifs' and puts the onus on the FFL!

Critical thinking involves analysis, evaluation, inference [gathering credible/relevant/logical evidence], and of course reaching a viable and reasonable conclusion while improving one's own thinking regarding the information you have heard, read, as well as you might have witnessed.

Further, please remember Churchill's commentary: "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

as a nation we will overcome the travesty[ies] currently going on within our nation...

Mon May 23, 2022 4:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: no longer in a van down by the river (... at least anywhere near South King County)
curiouscuz wrote:
INAL and not to cast a dispersion...but...

1. the legal status of a 'step-child' in a mixed marriage family is gray, e.g., on rights etc., especially if you note in the R.C.W 9.41.113 the term "step-" doesn't appear in the statutory content.

2. that the individual is of 'age' and presumed not adopted, could present issues in and of itself if something wayward occurs though use, legal or otherwise, could cause you to have to judicially defend yourself!

3. aft is vague regarding "step-child" terminology

so, while the penalty is considered 'a gross misdemeanor' do you wish to go through the goat rope of having to spend $$$ to defend yourself?

transfer the firearm via a FFL and avoid the 'what ifs' and puts the onus on the FFL!

So, the husband can gift it to his wife, etc. ....

Mon May 23, 2022 4:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Exactly, you give it to wife, wife gives it to son.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Mon May 23, 2022 5:37 pm

[tongue semi-in-cheek...giving it to the spouse presumes they are able to be gifted a firearm??]

interestingly OP hasn't interjected the rationale for not utilizing a FFL to transfer their firearm to the 'of age' step-child?

or

giving a gift card for $$$ and let said 'of age' step-child purchase their firearm of choice themselves...

Critical thinking involves analysis, evaluation, inference [gathering credible/relevant/logical evidence], and of course reaching a viable and reasonable conclusion while improving one's own thinking regarding the information you have heard, read, as well as you might have witnessed.

Further, please remember Churchill's commentary: "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

as a nation we will overcome the travesty[ies] currently going on within our nation...

Tue May 24, 2022 12:04 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

curiouscuz wrote:
[tongue semi-in-cheek...giving it to the spouse presumes they are able to be gifted a firearm??]

interestingly OP hasn't interjected the rationale for not utilizing a FFL to transfer their firearm to the 'of age' step-child?

or

giving a gift card for $$$ and let said 'of age' step-child purchase their firearm of choice themselves...

Not curious at all.. Is the step-son 18-20? if so, they can legally own a pistol, but can't use an FFL, or go buy one for themselves. Is it any of our business either way?

Tue May 24, 2022 12:16 pm
Profile WWW

Massivedesign wrote:
curiouscuz wrote:

or

Not curious at all.. Is the step-son 18-20? if so, they can legally own a pistol, but can't use an FFL, or go buy one for themselves. Is it any of our business either way?

alas massivedesign i didn't ask the gifting question and only provided further insight regarding the lack of "step-" specificity of the RCW cited to preclude the OP stepping into a gray judicial abyss ~ from WA or Fed officials.

Tue May 24, 2022 4:01 pm

operator error

Tue May 24, 2022 4:01 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

We don’t need feedback, rationale, or the conclusion to the story from the OP. What he does, or doesn’t do, is not our concern.

He asked for help understanding the law, and that was provided.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue May 24, 2022 5:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry just saw these replies. He certainly is of legal age to go through an FFL, just trying to avoid the fees and hassle if at all possible. I'll have his mom gift it to him due to the "step" vagueness.

Thu May 26, 2022 5:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]