Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:38 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 PSA : Check/clean your carry weapons 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This was the very subject of my post in the “What did you do today in the world of firearms?”
My XDM40 has never let me down even with 2-3K rounds fired. Maintenance is imperative for a dependable self defense weapon.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't shot my Seecamp in years. I wonder if it'll work. Sounds like a good test.

Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:40 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh John. It was 12 years ago you brought me this mid caked M&P.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0c8tL6S ... I9IVgim-BA

When the link opens, click the thumbnail photo at the bottom to play. Hit the download button to save it for future blackmail...

Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:47 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh, I could hear that gun screeching in pain . . . . :rofl9:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like fingernails on a Chalkboard..... :facepalm2:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
Oh John. It was 12 years ago you brought me this mid caked M&P.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0c8tL6S ... I9IVgim-BA

When the link opens, click the thumbnail photo at the bottom to play. Hit the download button to save it for future blackmail...

Never heard the spring when you pulled the trigger... :bigsmile:

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Every range trip i magdump my daily piece, not only to check reliability but to clean out the old ammo(both dirty ammo and stuff that has been racked too many times) This a good reason why i dont carry expensive ammo, if i cant afford to replace it, it isnt useful

Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

shaggy wrote:
Every range trip i magdump my daily piece, not only to check reliability but to clean out the old ammo(both dirty ammo and stuff that has been racked too many times) This a good reason why i dont carry expensive ammo, if i cant afford to replace it, it isnt useful

I buy the best ammo for defense. Range use is something else. The advancements in ballistics technology are amazing. Shit, HST in 9mm is 50-70cpr, and that's some of the best stuff out there, IMO. Considering steel case 9mm is sitting at 30cpr, I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
stompah wrote:
I've used Gunzilla for a long time and had no issues.

I've even shot several thousand rounds on my XD9 without cleaning and no issues.

I carry my G29 and rarely clean that and have no issues at the range either.

Do you leave your carry gun in the car? Could the long term baking in the heat remove/evaporate whatever keeps lube from gumming up?

My issue wasn't with the guns that I was using. My issue was with the home defense gun that just sat in the safe next to the bed without being cleaned or used.

Since that happened, I found similar gumminess in some other range toys that I hadn't handled in a long time, that had been cleaned with Gunzilla.

I'm using EEZOX now. I haven't had any issues with it so far, but I'm also making more of a point to get all of my self-defense guns out to the range routinely, and shoot and clean them.

This is why I don't trust "gun lubes". Some are biodegradable, but even the ones that aren't, do you know what's in them?

I stick to motor oil (0w) and grease (lucus red and tacky).

For cleaning, motor oil. Motor oil has detergents and dispersents to break down and suspend carbon.

Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PinSniper wrote:
MadPick wrote:
stompah wrote:

I've even shot several thousand rounds on my XD9 without cleaning and no issues.

Do you leave your carry gun in the car? Could the long term baking in the heat remove/evaporate whatever keeps lube from gumming up?

My issue wasn't with the guns that I was using. My issue was with the home defense gun that just sat in the safe next to the bed without being cleaned or used.

Since that happened, I found similar gumminess in some other range toys that I hadn't handled in a long time, that had been cleaned with Gunzilla.

I'm using EEZOX now. I haven't had any issues with it so far, but I'm also making more of a point to get all of my self-defense guns out to the range routinely, and shoot and clean them.

This is why I don't trust "gun lubes". Some are biodegradable, but even the ones that aren't, do you know what's in them?

For cleaning, motor oil. Motor oil has detergents and dispersents to break down and suspend carbon.

Motor oil is a great lubricant, and contains no rust inhibitors. No thanks.

Divided we fall.

Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:22 am

When I carry my pistol gets dusty so I clean unload my pistol and take it apart and clean all of dust off. When I go the the range and the do a through cleaning. I once went a month and my pistol got very dusty carrying and didn’t go the range.

Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OhShoot! wrote:
PinSniper wrote:
MadPick wrote:
stompah wrote:

Motor oil is a great lubricant, and contains no rust inhibitors. No thanks.

That's not true. Quality motor oils will actually protect against corrosion. Is it better than everything possibly out there, likely not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLxjwdERp4s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eJSLPLpF5U

If corrosion is your main concern then yeah, there are better options. For me my main concern is proper functioning of the gun.

Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hornady OneShot Gun Cleaner and Lubricant will change your maintenance regimen forever. EXCELLENT corrosion resistance, and it doesn't "creep" like oil. Can't recommend it enough.

Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2