Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:51 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 while purusing forums... 

06-13-2022, How do you handle citizens with CCW and/or Constitutional Carry?

partial member's quote:
I got into a heated discussion with my shift mates a few weeks ago about how to handle contacts with citizens who have CCW permits.

Our state's CCW law requires a permit holder to notify a LEO immediately about the concealed gun when contacted. The guys on my shift, when they find a CCW permit holder who is carrying on a traffic stop, will routinely pull the person out of the car, take the gun, unload it, run the serial number to see if it is stolen, finish the issue that caused the traffic stop, then return the gun unloaded and leave the scene before the owner can reload.

The guys on my shift are a generation younger than I am. unquote

https://forum.officer.com/forum/officer ... ost7085481

even with a state level privilege permit it seems LE's feel the need to physically take a citizens SD handgun and check if the citizen's handgun is stolen.

also seems this LE forum has blocked off areas from non-LE participants...

Critical thinking involves analysis, evaluation, inference [gathering credible/relevant/logical evidence], and of course reaching a viable and reasonable conclusion while improving one's own thinking regarding the information you have heard, read, as well as you might have witnessed.

Further, please remember Churchill's commentary: "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

as a nation we will overcome the travesty[ies] currently going on within our nation...

Last edited by curiouscuz on Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:04 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Under Washington state law you only have a duty to inform if asked. You are not required to inform if the officer does not ask.

Whether you volunteer the information or not is up to you to decide. Personally I’d rather not have any unnecessary handling of firearms, especially when LE is involved. However, I had a traffic stop some years ago driving back from Montana. My wallet with DL was sitting right on top of my loaded 1911 in the center console. Not wanting to reach toward my pistol when asked for DL I informed the officer it was in my wallet sitting on top of my pistol and my CPL was also in my wallet. He went ahead and retrieved my wallet and DL but didn’t touch my pistol.

Let me off with a warning for speeding and complimented my 1911. No situation is alike. Does disclosing the presence of a legally carried pistol make sense? Maybe. In that situation I’d say yes. Is it better to not disclose it and keep firearms handling to a minimum? Maybe. It all depends on the situation IMO.

Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It’s none of your biz, unless I make it your biz.

Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:24 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

That idea of being disarmed and my gun checked, just for a traffic stop, really pisses me off.

It’s dangerous and unnecessary.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That sure seems like an unreasonable search and seizure to me.

Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

scrid2000 wrote:

but, but. ofFiCrE SafEty.
That's why you carry a gun officer, for your safety as a jackboot tyrant.

Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
That idea of being disarmed and my gun checked, just for a traffic stop, really pisses me off.

The one time I've had to deal with this. WA State Patrol pulled me over on SR 2 because I wandered across a line. He suspected I was drunk (wasn't, just had been up for about 20 hours and was tired), and asked me to step out of the car to do stupid human tricks and a field breathalyzer. Once out of the car, I told him about my carry in my front right pocket (Ruger LCP). He thanked me for telling him, asked permission to remove it, did so, and placed it on the hood of his car and never looked at it again, until the stop was over and he handed it back to me through the window. Never even took it out of the holster, didn't run the numbers, didn't unload it, etc. He never asked to see my CPL at all.

After it was over, I asked him about his procedure and he told me it basically comes down to the person they're dealing with. Calm and respectful? You get treated like I did. Wound up and a PITA? Probably a much different experience.

Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:33 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

delliottg wrote:
MadPick wrote:

The one time I've had to deal with this. WA State Patrol pulled me over on SR 2 because I wandered across a line. He suspected I was drunk (wasn't, just had been up for about 20 hours and was tired), and asked me to step out of the car to do stupid human tricks and a field breathalyzer. Once out of the car, I told him about my carry in my front right pocket (Ruger LCP). He thanked me for telling him, asked permission to remove it, did so, and placed it on the hood of his car and never looked at it again, until the stop was over and he handed it back to me through the window. Never even took it out of the holster, didn't run the numbers, didn't unload it, etc. He never asked to see my CPL at all.

After it was over, I asked him about his procedure and he told me it basically comes down to the person they're dealing with. Calm and respectful? You get treated like I did. Wound up and a PITA? Probably a much different experience.

The only time it's even come up for me I gave the cop my CPL because I was positive I was gonna get pulled out of my car due to what prompted the stop (double the speed limit or so). He asked where it was and told me to leave it there and that was it. If I had just been expecting the verbal warning I ended up getting I would've never brought it up. Just adds unnecessary tension to the situation.

Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dj_fatstyles wrote:
scrid2000 wrote:

but, but. ofFiCrE SafEty.

This really sounds like a recipe for an officer to have a negligent discharge due to handling a gun he is unfarmiliar with

Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Only time I surrendered my pistol to a leo, he took it to his car. He came back a bit later and handed it back telling me to slow down. No ticket. However, the wog handd my pistol back with a empty magazine. Fooker unloaded the mag, reinserted it into the magwell, and kept my ammo. That was the last time I surrendered it, and only speak when spoken to. If asked to surrender I'll refuse unless I'm allowed to clear it first.

Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only time I got pulled over after being a gun owner he just said don't touch it, here's your ticket and have a nice day. I will NEVER offer up my gun status unless I'm in a state that requires it or politely asked.
BTW,
WA
OK
are not required states.
Don't ask, don't tell.

Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How do you pursue a forum?

Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

spaghetti monster wrote:
How do you pursue a forum?

In the same way, you pursue the shift key to capitalize a letter at the beginning of a sentence. :wink05:

Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:24 pm

golddigger14s wrote:
The only time I got pulled over after being a gun owner he just said don't touch it, here's your ticket and have a nice day. I will NEVER offer up my gun status unless I'm in a state that requires it or politely asked.
BTW,
WA
OK
are not required states.
Don't ask, don't tell.

hummm...might wish to watch the stones you throw...

Critical thinking involves analysis, evaluation, inference [gathering credible/relevant/logical evidence], and of course reaching a viable and reasonable conclusion while improving one's own thinking regarding the information you have heard, read, as well as you might have witnessed.

Further, please remember Churchill's commentary: "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

as a nation we will overcome the travesty[ies] currently going on within our nation...

Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

curiouscuz wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:
BTW,
WA
OK
are not required states.
Don't ask, don't tell.

hummm...might wish to watch the stones you throw...

You see remaining silent as a provocation?

In WA, IIRC, LE's computer will display CPL status anyway, so...

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next