Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:59 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Transferring standard cap mags out of state? 

I've looked into it and as best as I can understand "transferring" and "selling" 10+ capacity mags within the state is illegal, but is it illegal to transfer them to someone outside of the state at this point? The law seems to be an all-encompassing "no" but I want to be sure. Would really love some clarification if possible. Thank you.

Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

when you come back to WA you would be "importing it"?

Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:06 pm

Let's say for example I found a mag under my bed and want to ship it to a friend in a different state, no intent of bringing it back.

Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:11 pm

KylesGottaGun wrote:
Let's say for example I found a mag under my bed and want to ship it to a friend in a different state, no intent of bringing it back.

put the mag into a fedex box and send it to your friend...

Critical thinking involves analysis, evaluation, inference [gathering credible/relevant/logical evidence], and of course reaching a viable and reasonable conclusion while improving one's own thinking regarding the information you have heard, read, as well as you might have witnessed.

Further, please remember Churchill's commentary: "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

as a nation we will overcome the travesty[ies] currently going on within our nation...

Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

According to the law it must go through a dealer

Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:39 pm

RocketScott wrote:

Thank you, that was the info I was looking for. I must have missed it.

Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:41 pm

RocketScott wrote:

What about driving it across the WA border and shipping it? Then I think you're in the clear.

Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:26 pm

Just remember to talk to the border guards with the red stars on their hats on your way out of the state komerades, they are there to disuade you from choosing to live in freedom.

Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41

Magazines
https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.370
Large capacity magazines—Exceptions—Penalty.
(1) No person in this state may manufacture, import, distribute, sell, or offer for sale any large capacity magazine, except as authorized in this section.
(2) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to any of the following:
(a) The manufacture, importation, distribution, offer for sale, or sale of a large capacity magazine by a licensed firearms manufacturer for the purposes of sale to any branch of the armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington, or to a law enforcement agency in this state for use by that agency or its employees for law enforcement purposes;
(b) The importation, distribution, offer for sale, or sale of a large capacity magazine by a dealer that is properly licensed under federal and state law for the purpose of sale to any branch of the armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington, or to a law enforcement agency in this state for use by that agency or its employees for law enforcement purposes;
(c) The distribution, offer for sale, or sale of a large capacity magazine to or by a dealer that is properly licensed under federal and state law where the dealer acquires the large capacity magazine from a person legally authorized to possess or transfer the large capacity magazine for the purpose of selling or transferring the large capacity magazine to a person who does not reside in this state.
(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.

Mags (again)
https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.375
Distributing, selling, offering for sale, or facilitating the sale, distribution, or transfer of a large capacity magazine online is an unfair or deceptive act or practice or unfair method of competition in the conduct of trade or commerce for purposes of the consumer protection act, chapter 19.86 RCW.

Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:22 pm

RocketScott wrote:

after a thorough review of both versions of the two revised versions of RCW 9.41.010 does the statute, in the 18 times LARGE is mentioned, does the statute mention the word export out of WA nor the use of an FFL to do so!

the statute specifically states if a WA citizen takes a previously owned Large capacity mag out of state, the citizen may bring back the same item back into WA...

quote, "(14) "Import" means to move, transport, or receive an item from a place outside the territorial limits of the state of Washington to a place inside the territorial limits of the state of Washington. "Import" does not mean situations where an individual possesses a large capacity magazine when departing from, and returning to, Washington state, so long as the individual is returning to Washington in possession of the same large capacity magazine the individual transported out of state."

https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.010

as previously stated...put it in a fedex box and ship it to your friend outside of WA state.

Critical thinking involves analysis, evaluation, inference [gathering credible/relevant/logical evidence], and of course reaching a viable and reasonable conclusion while improving one's own thinking regarding the information you have heard, read, as well as you might have witnessed.

Further, please remember Churchill's commentary: "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

as a nation we will overcome the travesty[ies] currently going on within our nation...

Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great info, it appears that if I list it on gunbroker to attempt to sell or actually sell it, I might be afoul of the law.

However, selling it to a WA FFL or transporting it out of state w/o selling is ok?

It's my property, right?

I wish they would clamp down on fetanyl and other illegal drugs now that the "hi cap" scourge is over.

Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:34 pm

jackass wrote:
Great info, it appears that if I list it on gunbroker to attempt to sell or actually sell it, I might be afoul of the law.

However, selling it to a WA FFL or transporting it out of state w/o selling is ok?

It's my property, right?

I wish they would clamp down on fetanyl (sic) and other illegal drugs now that the "hi cap" scourge is over.

alas a violation of RCW 9.41.375...

Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:50 pm

Are you disabled? If so Jay and his ilk can pound sand.

Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hartcreek wrote:
Are you disabled? If so Jay and his ilk can pound sand.

If I'm disabled I can buy those mags and have them brought into the State?
Where does it say that?

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:42 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Take the mag apart. Send your friend a plastic rectangular tube one day, and a spring with a few extra plastic parts another day. Neither can be used as a mag.

Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:10 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next