Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:27 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Thinking about doing a basic pistol operation video 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I took my daughter shooting today. It was fun! She just started showing interest in the sport, and I’m eager to shoot with her. I was looking around for some YouTube videos for her to watch while we are between range sessions. I noticed there are very few basic pistol videos geared toward a 20 something woman. I thought I could do one and post it up and see what the reaction was. I figure the worst I could was make an ass out myself, which won’t be the first or last time. Any thoughts?

Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great idea.

I would suggest touching base with Rutiliate & MadPick.

They teach women’s-only classes, and may have some suggestions.

As far as making an ass of yourself, it’s the internet, someone will pick at you.

Usually, it’s someone with no life, so…

Good luck with your endeavor! :thumbsup2:

Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ve got an abnormally thick skin.

Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:43 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yup, why not, just do it!

You're right, sometimes you just need a good basic video, and it can be hard to find that. A couple of the ladies that we have taught have asked for a basic video to teach them about AR-15s, and I found this one that I thought was pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL-ZzgwkuzE.

Similarly, we were getting a lot of questions about pistol cleaning, so I made this video:

So Vic . . . hell yeah, go for it! :thumbsup2:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://youtu.be/hXtw3pBY8jM
channel = she equips herself

Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:15 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

^ Great video. thumbsup

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

vic_b wrote:
I took my daughter shooting today. It was fun! She just started showing interest in the sport, and I’m eager to shoot with her. I was looking around for some YouTube videos for her to watch while we are between range sessions. I noticed there are very few basic pistol videos geared toward a 20 something woman. I thought I could do one and post it up and see what the reaction was. I figure the worst I could was make an ass out myself, which won’t be the first or last time. Any thoughts?

My thought is to ask why you feel a pistol operation video needs to be catered to a 20 year old woman, as opposed to anyone else? Carry, yes, that's totally different for women, but operation - it shouldn't be different, if you're using good techniques. The best techniques are already based on structure rather than relying on muscle anyway, and are no different for a big guy than they are for a woman. There are a lot of of videos out there already about this stuff if you know enough to weed out the junk. Look at some of the videos by Warrior Poet Society for an example of more tactical/carry oriented operation, or a huge selection of videos by some of the competition big names like Rob Leatham.

The only real difference I've found in teaching women to shoot (not carry) is that they're generally easier to teach than most men - no big egos to get in the way and they don't feel like they've got to prove something. But the same techniques apply either way, and the same challenges such as eye dominance and grip strength still apply as well.

JMHO

Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a market, especially if you can sell it right. I'm sure if a woman starred in the videos and marked them toward other chicks that would probably be the optimal format. With a good enough presentation i'm sure MFG's would pay for a function/review directed tward the female shooter, granted it would be a lot of reviewing teal/pink .380's.

Yondering wrote:
The only real difference I've found in teaching women to shoot (not carry) is that they're generally easier to teach than most men - no big egos to get in the way and they don't feel like they've got to prove something. But the same techniques apply either way, and the same challenges such as eye dominance and grip strength still apply as well.

There is a big diffence in the type of content they want, a lot of guys want the nut and bolt technical of what kind of operating system it has, barrel mfg method, type of finish, etc. I feel like most women want to know, does it work good? does it make me look cool? and how to do the basic operation. They arent worried about the most tactical reload style for 3 gun, they just want to be able to use it competently in a defensive situation.

Also packaging matters, most of my favorite gun channels are filled with crude guy humor and dick jokes. If you can find a star that had the women's equivalent it would probably be huge(think female comedians)

Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

shaggy wrote:
There is a big diffence in the type of content they want, a lot of guys want the nut and bolt technical of what kind of operating system it has, barrel mfg method, type of finish, etc. I feel like most women want to know, does it work good? does it make me look cool? and how to do the basic operation. They arent worried about the most tactical reload style for 3 gun, they just want to be able to use it competently in a defensive situation.

Also packaging matters, most of my favorite gun channels are filled with crude guy humor and dick jokes. If you can find a star that had the women's equivalent it would probably be huge(think female comedians)

He said pistol operation, not "help me choose a pistol", so that's what my comments were directed to. Techniques for operation shouldn't be different for a woman than for a man, at least for any example I've been able to think of.

Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yondering wrote:
vic_b wrote:

My thought is to ask why you feel a pistol operation video needs to be catered to a 20 year old woman, as opposed to anyone else? Carry, yes, that's totally different for women, but operation - it shouldn't be different, if you're using good techniques. The best techniques are already based on structure rather than relying on muscle anyway, and are no different for a big guy than they are for a woman. There are a lot of of videos out there already about this stuff if you know enough to weed out the junk. Look at some of the videos by Warrior Poet Society for an example of more tactical/carry oriented operation, or a huge selection of videos by some of the competition big names like Rob Leatham.

JMHO

My thinking was to attract more women to the sport, in general. Not just younger women. My apologies for the confusion.

Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lol

Man splaining…

I mean most young gals don’t have a context to relate to firearms. But truth be told most young boys have no context to firearms either these days.

It’s not the days of boys carrying pocket knives and playing soldier or even cowboys and…

Hell, most don’t know how to give an old fashioned 2 handed handshake. An honest American greeting.

So yes! Do it. It’s free and it might help.
Just prepared for all the nonsense uncalled feedback.

Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

vic_b wrote:
Yondering wrote:
vic_b wrote:

JMHO

My thinking was to attract more women to the sport, in general. Not just younger women. My apologies for the confusion.

I should clarify - I just mean to ask what you would do/teach differently than what's already out there?

I do understand the idea of women oriented videos, but those are usually made by women.

Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yondering wrote:
vic_b wrote:
Yondering wrote:
vic_b wrote:

JMHO

I should clarify - I just mean to ask what you would do/teach differently than what's already out there?

I do understand the idea of women oriented videos, but those are usually made by women.

IME women want to know "how" *everything* works a little more than men.
For men: to get this result, do that
For women: because the machine works this way, to get this result, do that
YMMV

Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]