Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Colt Delta Elite ??? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

so who is the guru for these here?? Ive wanted one since they came out and almost grabbed one back in the day, glad i didnt considering the slide issues....

That being said ive got some questions on the variances and exactly what of the early years to avoid

Also who has one and what do ya like or not like and any issues ???

Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:06 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm not an expert. I'm not even a semi-expert. In fact, I'm pretty ignorant about them.

But I do have one. It's a cool gun. Just based on what I've read, I'm leery about shooting the hot stuff through it, so most of the time it stays at home.

I have a Ruger SR1911 in 10mm that I think is f'ing fantastic, and that's a 10mm favorite to take to the range. thumbsup

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Steve any function issues ?? Is it an early model (slide issues) and thats why your leary of the hot stuff

Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

when the gun was released the only ammo available was "hot stuff" 200gr @ 1200fps

Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Because the barrel is not fully supported, avoid shooting really heavy grain loads that are extra hot. They never had slide issues. Other than that you are good to go with any year that tickles your fancy. The Delta Gold Cup is the rarest bird of them all, and highly desirable. My favorite years are 2011-2016. I have a stainless model with the DLC coated slide from around 2016. It is a terrific shooter.

Divided we fall.

Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:25 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

toys in the toybox wrote:
Steve any function issues ?? Is it an early model (slide issues) and thats why your leary of the hot stuff

Mine was made in 1987, the first year of production. I haven't had any function issues.

I really don't know enough about them, I'm just cautious because there are different opinions, and because I haven't educated myself on the topic.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have wanted one too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Delta Elite never had a slide issue.

The internet lore and hyperbole is in regards to a frame issue, that nobody can actually find a legitimate reference towards whether it was caught and rectified in pre-production, or if a very small number of pistols left the factory with the little extra bit of frame window up by where the slide stop protrudes into the magwell. That little bit of extra metal was milled off by Colt, and from what I can recall, was a modification Colt had been doing to all their 1911s well back into the 80s before the Delta Elite.

There's also the 'non supported chamber' situation which is kind of part of the 1911 design but seems to look worse in the new & improved Delta Elites. I don't know much about all that but it does seem like ammo manufacturers are either loading 40 S&W Long or nuclear stuff, with not much in between. The 1911 design is not as tolerant of high pressure as other designs, but it's hardly the only one with issues when it comes to nuclear proof loads. Sig Sauer let Bruce Gray do nearly a decade of R&D at his customer's expense building custom P220 10mm pistols, before they signed off on a factory one. Even then/now, they don't recommend anything over the standard Norma load data of 200 gr @ 1200fps and 170 gr @1300fps.

Inverse relationship to power and life expectancy.

Buy one and run it until it dies. It'll be fine. Make sure you tell the seller all about how dangerous they are so you get a better deal. :thumbsup2:

Attachment:
zombie-survival-kit.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]