Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 1031 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 69  Next
 Garand Propaganda 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My three sons each received a Garand or M1A at age 16. The rest are to be distributed on my death.

"I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." - Robert Heinlein

Resistance to tyranny is always justified.

Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:10 pm

How did you decide to issue a Garand or an M1A to what son? Their choice or yours? Skill test? Marksmanship? As a Marine I would like to think a bayonet assault course might have played into your choices. :bigsmile:

Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

2 chose M1As and the third chose a Garand. The business of teaching ones own children
can be an iffy proposition. The boys did well. I had an excellent teacher. My grandfather
was a Marine rifle instructor in Galveston 1916-1917. Deployed in summer of '17. He worked
me up to getting torso hits 50% of shots at 700 yards with irons. Used his M1903 he stole
from the Corps and his 1950's Garand. He died in '83, asking for his two Marine buddies.

"I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." - Robert Heinlein

Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:19 pm

corpsman wrote:
2 chose M1As and the third chose a Garand. The business of teaching ones own children
can be an iffy proposition. The boys did well. I had an excellent teacher. My grandfather
was a Marine rifle instructor in Galveston 1916-1917. Deployed in summer of '17. He worked
me up to getting torso hits 50% of shots at 700 yards with irons. Used his M1903 he stole
from the Corps and his 1950's Garand. He died in '83, asking for his two Marine buddies.

I hope he found them. :wink05:

"If the Army and the Navy
Ever look on Heaven's scenes;
They will find the streets are guarded
By United States Marines."

Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have zero doubt he has.

Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My son has already Called dibs on my garand and 1903A3.

Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pL1D-4dFJ8

America's Rifle

Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:04 am

Dd anyone here get one of these?

Mine is on the way. Less than 200 imported.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/italian ... dam1s.html

Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjXBHfL-4HM

US Army Sgt Ski and the M1C sniper with 2.5 power scope.

11/24/2021

Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2idYNKWGm4

What ain't necessarily so about the M1 Garand
Bloke on the Range, 4/1/2016 A Limey teaches Yanks about their own rifle.

Note. I disagree regarding his description of the infamous Garand thumb. I have deliberately attempted to induce the thumb,
while loading. Never succeeded. The bolt actually kicked my thumb out of the way. The thumb almost always occurs when sticking said thumb into an unloaded magazine and touching the follower, or failing to fully retract the bolt. That condition prevents the clip from being loaded as the loading rails are blocked by the bolt. Thus, I never bother with using the blade of the hand to restrain the bolt while loading.

Note the speed of reloading he demonstrated. A trained rifleman can reload even faster. After a bit of practice have achieved reloading from pouch to closed action in 2 seconds. In either case, reloading is significantly faster than reloading a detachable magazine rifle. Now, we have all seen detachable mag speed reloading on videos. These videos usually involve dropping the empty magazine. Fine on the range, but in combat, a very bad idea. A dump pouch can save your life.

Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Soldier with Garand T3E1 rifle, 1930.

Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Corpsman, there was a guy on here looking for an image of a Clint Fowler op-rod guide.
You know something?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I sent him a PM and he replied.

Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:13 pm

My Garand from the CMP showed up in November, but when I took it to the range the first time it failed to fire with no mark on the primer (Lake City '67 if it matters). Do you know of any gunsmiths around with the tool to disassemble the bolt or hands-on experience with the Garand?

Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

None up your way, and none around here, although the smith at the Marksman in Puyallup seems to know a lot about wood and iron. Not saying there are not competent smiths in the area, just none I know. The last two I knew are dead. One of the impacts of being over 70. CMP has plenty of folks who know. Have you contacted them? I think it likely they would make repairs to their production. They may know of a local, perhaps one of their graduates. Maybe buy the bolt take down tool?

Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 1031 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 69  Next