Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 13165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 681, 682, 683, 684, 685, 686, 687 ... 878  Next
 What did you do today in the world of firearms? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:
(almost) Finished my "Cancer" stick I've been collecting parts for a while now.

The fill-in paint's not perfect but I don't care.

Special thanks to Traut & USRifle for the main ingredients.
Other parts were collected over most of last year.
Attachment:
20200306_200636_opt.jpg

Attachment:
20200307_084513_opt.jpg

That is looking good Buddy. Let's go convert ammo into noise...soon! :thumbsup2:

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:25 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Bedded an FN Mauser into a Hogue stock; Adjusted a Rem. 721 trigger to 3#; Tapped sight holes and installed a rear sight on a Danzig Waffenfabrik Mauser; Prepped a Ruger M77 .243 for photos and sale.

Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:59 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:
(almost) Finished my "Cancer" stick I've been collecting parts for a while now.

The fill-in paint's not perfect but I don't care.

Special thanks to Traut & USRifle for the main ingredients.
Other parts were collected over most of last year.
Attachment:
20200306_200636_opt.jpg

Attachment:
20200307_084513_opt.jpg

Nothing like a personalized gun by that person, you done good brother. Good luck!!!

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ordered a custom holster

Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:00 pm

Work was slow so I got permission to bail out after three hours. I took the opportunity to partake in the Maryville Rifle Club open rifle range day. So after warming up with my 22LR I finally worked up the nerve to put a box of 405gr 45-70 cowboy loads through the winchester 1886. It took me 3 adjustments of the buckhorn sights to finally find a basic 50 yard zero. After getting a decent three shot group at 50 yards I went for 100 yards. That hole at the bottom of the second sheet is what the 50 yard zero did at 100. I knew the 45-70 had some drop but I didn't realize it was that bad! I adjusted the sight up one more time and shot the six round group. It wasn't bad except the one at the top left. Knowing the bullet drop is quite severe I had a spotter call my next shot at 220 yards against the 8" gong. 1st shot was a solid foot + low. So I adjusted my hold to the bar that holds up the gongs and put the last four rounds on the gong!!! Its a stange thing to go through the muzzle jump, and recoil only to look up at the target and think (did I miss it?) Instead I see the gong start bouncing around and to hear it ring. Its pretty damn impressive that a modern built rifle based on a 134 year old design can be this damn good... Really looking foward to lots more practice with hand loads and this old beast.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got rmr, trigger connector, spring kit, test plate, everything but the trigger that's supposed to be here.

Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Met up with tpryder this morning and gave him all the parts for my .308 bolt gun build.

Now I wait...

The Right to Buy Weapons Is the Right to Be Free

Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sight in day! Mounted 3 Aimpoint PROs to rifles/carbines that had been sitting around. Sighted in 5 rifle/pistol/carbines at West Coast Armory with my daughter. Fun times, and long overdue.

My daughter was hitting the same hole over and over again with the Tavor converted to 9mm. She did pretty damned good with every gun we sighted in. Proud dad...

Not a Tavor below, but an LWRC.

Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Isildur wrote:
Met up with tpryder this morning and gave him all the parts for my .308 bolt gun build.

Now I wait...

You are in good hands!

Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mmalleck wrote:
Sight in day! Mounted 3 Aimpoint PROs to rifles/carbines that had been sitting around. Sighted in 5 rifle/pistol/carbines at West Coast Armory with my daughter. Fun times, and long overdue.

My daughter was hitting the same hole over and over again with the Tavor converted to 9mm. She did pretty damned good with every gun we sighted in. Proud dad...

Not a Tavor below, but an LWRC.

That's a great pic!

Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Went to local outdoor range with wife and stepson today. Cloudy, no rain, 75-80 degrees.

Finished ladder load testing for 38 Short Colt with VV N320. Settled on 160gr coated LRN over 3.5gr N320. Chronos out to right about 130 PF. Think I've got my load to do some USPSA shooting this year as moonclips of 38 Short Colt drop in way faster than longer 38 Special loads, particularly in 8 shot cylinders.

Sighted in Trijicon red dot on my FN 509 Tactical and did some shooting with the Rugged Obsidian 9 with Federal subsonic ammo. Really enjoying the suppressed rig. Shooting quietly is so much more civilized :bigsmile: The FN is quite an accurate pistol and with Apex trigger kit installed is really enjoyable to shoot.

Attempted to sight in Vortex red dot on my Browning Buckmark. Thinking to send this back to Vortex for warranty as it does not respond consistently to elevation adjustments. Went ahead and shot it anyway with a Q El Camino just to enjoy how quiet the darn thing is.

Next up is doing some testing of various 22 LR ammo in my IHMSA rimfire production gun (T/C Contender with MGM 10" 22LR barrel). Not getting the accuracy I want at 75 and 100 yard targets so hoping to nail down most accurate ammo in that particular firearm. A lot of ammo that groups well out to 50 yards falls apart by 100 yards in my prior testing. Have a 6-24x scope installed temporarily so more than capable to really nail down group sizes at 100 yards once I figure out the elevation adjustments.

Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Loaded a bunch of mags and filled the range bag in preparation for some shooting on Sunday AM. Also installed a zoom throw lever on my Strike Eagle. I was going to buy the Vortex Switchview, but the reviews for the Aim Assist on Amazon were great, so I went with that one at half the price. I like it so far! Now, I'm off to dig out my steel targets from the abyss that I call my garage...

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bought a CZ P10 today

Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:40 pm

I stopped at skagit arms to looks for a few little things but the line was quite long. However I damn near walked out with a Browning 1886 lever gun that looked brand spanking new. If anyone is a fan of that heavy iron I'd go snag it.

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:33 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Schoolboy wrote:
box of 405gr 45-70 cowboy loads through the winchester 1886.

My 2007 Marlin Guide Gun loves the Remington 405 cowboy loads.
Can cloverleaf 3 at 100 yards all the time with the Leupold Variax III 1.5-5 low mount on it.

1873 H&R Officers Model trapdoor isn't far behind it, has the flip up tang sight.
With various cowboy loads I hit a 6" gong 18 or so times in a row at 123 yards up a hill.
Would have kept going but I ran out of ammo.
I don't shoot my 1886, it's a NIB 1/1000 High Grade and don't want to scratch it. Hahaha

The 405 cowboy loads are accurate but do have a rainbow trajectory.

The Hornady 325 Leverrevolution nipple tips are pretty flat but not as accurate in my rifles.
https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifl ... olution#!/

-1.5" Muzzle
+3" 100 Yards
0 200 Yards
-27.8 300 Yards

You're modern 1886 (Miroku) can handle all the hot 45-70 loads.
Except they are short chambered.
Some won't fit. I found that out with HSM 430 gr +P hard cast Bear Loads.
I'm by no means a recoil wimp (have a safari rifle collection), but those above bear loads in the little guide gun make me say OW! every time.

Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 13165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 681, 682, 683, 684, 685, 686, 687 ... 878  Next