Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 NICS delay 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BadKarma wrote:
LadyShooter wrote:
BadKarma wrote:
Are you sure he is not a felon? Does he have a shady past?

I'm kind of hoping you're kidding, but I don't sense sarcasm in your post.

Hmm, I would hope if there was a valid reason for him to be delayed, that he would not have been able to purchase a hand gun a few months ago and get his CPL. I have no doubt that the purchase will be approved.

As for any shady past, that's in the past.
[emoji85] [emoji86] [emoji87]

Yes, we had the same happen to Marine3%er. We called him a felon for...well still to this day.

Hay FFF you MOFO :cussing: . I have noticed that every time my Gov clearances get renewed or reapplied for something else I get delayed . When I was in the military and now as a civilian.

Sun May 17, 2015 12:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

uncle sam miss's you and giving ya shit

Sun May 17, 2015 3:15 pm

Clearances and renewals can cause delays. There is a background check being done and the people on the phone at NICS at the bottom two levels don't know if it's a criminal check or a clearance check.
Could be someone with the same name who is a criminal.
Could have been identity theft.
There are no fingerprints when buying a gun, but there is for the CPL and many background checks. That's why you can have a CPL and get a delay. Nobody visiting your friends and neighbors asking about you when you buy a gun so even if you have a TS with SCI and a Q you can get a delay.
Cops get delays. I know two gun store owners in the region that get delays. I've seen federal agents get delays.

Last edited by Unicorn on Tue May 19, 2015 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 17, 2015 6:14 pm

So bottom line is, it happens, pretty much a regular thing, suck it up and quit complaining.. lol ;)

Sun May 17, 2015 7:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LadyShooter wrote:
So bottom line is, it happens, pretty much a regular thing, suck it up and quit complaining.. lol ;)

Yep, just like housework.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

:peep:

Sun May 17, 2015 7:18 pm

dan360 wrote:
LadyShooter wrote:

Yep, just like housework.

[emoji23] [emoji23]

[emoji14]eep:

Hahaha! I'll be sure to tell my husband that! [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Sun May 17, 2015 7:19 pm

I live in Washington State, have had a CWP for several years, finally decided to buy a handgun. This was 3 weeks ago today...got delayed, still no answer. The store gets a call from me every day, but it is always the same, "Sorry, no change yet"....

They told me that my application will expire on December 14th, and at that time I should come in and get their paperwork, go online, do an appeal, and get a UIPI pin...

Why should I have to "appeal" anything, since no resolution, or at least not yet...I am still hoping it will come through.

I could go and make a purchase somewhere else, but I am afraid it will raise some kind of flag and I will be delayed further...

The store I am trying to buy from has a corporate policy that prevents them from releasing the gun until they hear from NICS. If I had known this could happen, I would have gone to a private FFL or to a gun store that allows you to pick up the gun after the 3 day delay with no answer...

Anyone else in my local area having this trouble besides me?

So, before anyone asks, I have had background checks several times, been fingerprinted several times for employment, hold a Federal Secret Clearance, have a valid CPL...so no, I am not a criminal.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:40 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

You don’t need a UPIN for delay, only for constant denial.

Also, you need to find another FFL, they can release the handgun to you if 10 days has passed.

Edit to add, your security clearance is probably what’s holding it up. Heard about it many many times. Get used to being delayed.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:54 pm
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

^^^^^^
Yup, a Delay means you are in their system but don't show up as a Deny so it needs a lazy federal employee to follow up on it.
They usually don't.

Used to breeze right through NICS until I signed up for some Federal LE classes.
Then delayed every time for 4-5 years.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
You don’t need a UPIN for delay, only for constant denial.

Also, you need to find another FFL, they can release the handgun to you if 10 days has passed.

Edit to add, your security clearance is probably what’s holding it up. Heard about it many many times. Get used to being delayed.

I was an MP. Then a sheriff's deputy. Been through background checks for employment, work with the library, and work with a church. Have had a CPL most of my adult life. I have top secret clearance.

Never been delayed. Ever. Always walk out the same day, carrying what I bought.

Moral of the story, I think there's a lot of theories about what gets you hung up, and I think most of them are hooey. The one that makes the most sense is lazy, incompetent, underpaid "you want fries with that?" rejects pushing the 'approve-disapprove' buttons on the other end.

Maybe the most consistent thing about my purchases have been that they probably all occurred before noon.

Really good suggestion about a different FFL.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:41 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I bought a gun at a WAC show with a Proceed, 15 minutes later I got a Delay.
Heaven Only Knows.
Heaven Only Knows.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

its also 10 business days not days and it starts the next business day and you can pick iy up on the 11th.

so which ffl?

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:zombie:

Divided we fall.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Background check paperwork is good for 30 days. The MDI date (Missing Disposition Information) is 10 business days (don't forget holidays), at which time they can release your gun. Where I work we prefer to get the official okie dokie, but we will release it. Wild guess is you bought it from wally world.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:37 pm

LadyShooter wrote:
redoubt wrote:
Did he put down his SSN?

I got delayed twice in a row when I didn't put my SSN on the 4473. Ever since then, I've put down my SSN and have had no issues on multiple purchases.

I'm pretty sure the computer form makes you fill out all the information. I tried to help fill out the form, and they said oh no, you can't do that. Only the person buying can fill it out. I thought well hell I just type faster. Had to start all over. I had to walk away so I didn't say how stupid I thought that was. I'm sure it's just a set regulation, everyone has to do it that way, so whatever. I guess I have a lot to learn.

Yeah, that's a federal regulation. It's on the instructions on the 4473 itself if you feel like looking it up.
Unless the person is illiterate then two witnesses who aren't involved in the sales process have to sign and date it that they watched the person filling it out do so with the actual buyer there. Then the buyer gets to make his/her "mark" in the signature block.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next