Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:45 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Questions on Red Dot Sight Install for Pistol 

I was thinking of getting a Red Dot Sight installed on my pistol. Has anyone went through the process? I'm looking for advice and any words of wisdom from the experience. I did a search on this forum, didn't see much mention of red dots in general.

I expect to pick out the sight, perhaps an Trijicon RMR, and then need to get the slide milled (I checked with the manufacturer, Sig, and they have nothing "premilled" on my type of pistol).

I'm open to having the work done locally, but also noticed there are some places that are recommended that work by sending the slide in (non-local).

I would love to know if someone can recommend someone close that can do the work. I'm in the Issaquah Bellevue Redmond area..

Thanks

Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had slides milled for red dots from these two places:
https://gallowayprecision.com/contact-us/ (did a Sig P938 & a Kahr MK9)
https://www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/services/ (did a Walther PPQ & a PPS)

Both did excellent work with acceptable turn around time.
Not aware of anyone doing it locally; could be, but milling a slide like that is tough, a bit too deep and your into the firing pin channel or other structural areas.

The Right to Buy Weapons Is the Right to Be Free

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:59 pm

Thanks for the reply..

Would it be correct to assume they shoot just as well? No extra jams, FTE or FTF from the changes in the slide?

What was you're turn around time?

Thanks again..

Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No problems shooting noted yet, and have (conservative estimate) 4000 rounds through the four modified firearms.

Galloway was a couple of weeks, you are scheduled to send in the work a week before your slot opens, so it's really quick.
L & M took a little longer for me, as he had never milled a PPS before, but it was something like 5 weeks total time.

The Right to Buy Weapons Is the Right to Be Free

Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

which sig?

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:17 pm

Ops wrote:
which sig?

It's a p220 10mm..

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.amazon.com/Trijicon-Sig-Sau ... B009PTUVMY

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Curly Wolf is in Shelton might be able to do it.
http://www.curlywolfguns.com/

Caution doing so might void any warranty.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ops wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Trijicon-Sig-Sauer-Pistol-Mount/dp/B009PTUVMY

That's a pretty poor recommendation for someone who's wanting to do it right and have the slide milled for the sight. It is an option, but has a lot of downsides.

To the OP - I have a lot of rounds through red dot equipped pistols in the last ~6 years or so, and carry one daily (a G19 with RMR). There are good and bad ways to do it; when set down in the slide (as you're wanting to do) and combined with a set of suppressor iron sights for co-witness, it is a very good system. They do help most people to shoot more accurately, and contrary to what some claim they don't slow you down at close range once you learn how to use it. The RMR is definitely the most rugged choice in red dots for this application these days too.

I have milled slides for a number of friends, but don't actively pursue it as a business. If you don't find someone else willing to do that 220, PM me and we can talk. My very first was done by L&M (linked above) and they do good work.

This is a 320, not a 220, but is a good example of the type of setup I recommend.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:29 pm

golddigger14s wrote:
Curly Wolf is in Shelton might be able to do it.
http://www.curlywolfguns.com/

Caution doing so might void any warranty.

Thanks.. He might be a little farther than I'm willing to travel, but will keep him in mind.

Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:30 am

Yondering wrote:
To the OP - I have a lot of rounds through red dot equipped pistols in the last ~6 years or so, and carry one daily (a G19 with RMR). There are good and bad ways to do it; when set down in the slide (as you're wanting to do) and combined with a set of suppressor iron sights for co-witness, it is a very good system. They do help most people to shoot more accurately, and contrary to what some claim they don't slow you down at close range once you learn how to use it. The RMR is definitely the most rugged choice in red dots for this application these days too.
Well, one reason I want/need it is my eyes, for me, the iron sights are almost useless.. I need minor correction for far away and more heavy correction for close up. I know about the cowitness, but I am not sure if it is worth it for my situation. If the red dot is focused at infinity, it would be what I need.. I also considered laser sights, but I think in the long run I would be happier with red dot. Although I may get laser to help point out my trigger jerking..
Yondering wrote:
I have milled slides for a number of friends, but don't actively pursue it as a business. If you don't find someone else willing to do that 220, PM me and we can talk. My very first was done by L&M (linked above) and they do good work.
Thanks.. At this point I'm just looking for advice, input on the process, and wondering if there was an obvious choice close by or in-town.
I'm still deciding, and it will definitely be a few months out before I pull the trigger. Looks like nothing close, so I am fine sending it in..
Yondering wrote:
This is a 320, not a 220, but is a good example of the type of setup I recommend.
Nice! RMR? If I really like it on my 220, I will probably do it to my p320 as well.. They (SIG) have a kit for the p320 that would make is easy, if I am ok with the Romeo red dot.. Is that a Full Size p320? If so, where did you find a threaded barrel?

Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://suarezinternational.com/suarez- ... 6-227-229/

I myself just went with the factory p320 and a P226 sao

Yaki's - last journey

Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fox - that 320 was a model that came with a threaded barrel and suppressor sights. A friend bought it, I forget the model. The barrel was the dumb metric 13x1 LH though instead of the standard 1/2-28 that we use here in the US.

A big part of the reason for co-witnessed sights is to help you aquire the dot faster, both while you're learning to use it and later in any kind of awkward position. They also make it immediately obvious if the red dot is out of adjustment. I think co-witness is pretty important, enough so that if I couldn't have a co-witnessed setup, I'd stick with iron sights only. Some who haven't used a co-witness setup much insist it's not necessary, but no-one who has one wishes they didn't.

Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:48 pm

Ops wrote:
https://suarezinternational.com/suarez-red-dot-sight-package-sig-p220-226-227-229/
I myself just went with the factory p320 and a P226 sao

Thanks.. I heard of Suarez International through other channels.. Good to see they have sig options.. Hard to find anything other than Glock on their website.

Yondering wrote:
A big part of the reason for co-witnessed sights is to help you aquire the dot faster, both while you're learning to use it and later in any kind of awkward position. They also make it immediately obvious if the red dot is out of adjustment. I think co-witness is pretty important, enough so that if I couldn't have a co-witnessed setup, I'd stick with iron sights only. Some who haven't used a co-witness setup much insist it's not necessary, but no-one who has one wishes they didn't.

Thx again. This is the type of good advice I was looking for.. Makes sense.. Do you think the iron sites need to be tritrium glow in the dark type, or are simple black iron ok?

Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I prefer at least a tritium front iron with this setup, but plain black works OK most of the time. The white outline (appearing as a white dot) around the tritium helps the sight stand out in certain daylight situations, and at night a plain black sight is pretty much invisible. A tritium insert in the front sight helps you find that dot at night, same as the plain black irons do in the daylight.

Forgot to answer earlier - yes that's an RMR on the Sig 320 above. It's an RM07, which is the adjustable model with the 6.5 moa dot. I prefer the 3.25 moa dot on my other RMR sights, and don't find much value in the adjustable brightness feature. (Non-adjustable models all have auto-brightness that works really well.) My favorite is the RM01 model, 3.25 moa LED and no brightness adjustments. Also, I don't recommend the cheaper dual-illuminated versions for any kind of defensive use myself; in some conditions the dot washes out and is barely visible or not there at all.

The Leupold Deltapoint Pro is a good red dot for a range gun too, with clearer glass and a larger window than the RMR, but the lack of auto brightness adjustment ruins it for a carry optic.

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next