Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:09 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 defense Against Bears with Pistols: 97% Success rate 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
Hardcast is important. You don't want expanding SD bullets.

Agree. Glock 20 L with 15+1 full power, 200gr hard cast. In a holster of choice is not so hard to carry.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bears fear Dirty Harry.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:15 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

WA game wardens use bean bag and other less lethal rounds to scare away black bears when they release them from cages. Seem pretty effective.
Also have Karelian Bear Dogs that scare the shit out of bears.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:
As if bears aren't terrifying enough already, now they're carrying pistols?!?!?!? :runforthehills:

jdhbulseye wrote:
I hope none of us ever have to defend ourselves against a bear who is armed with a pistol. Can you imagine whats going to happen when they finally get their paws on our battery-operated assault muskets of War?!

My name is Jeff, and I approve this grammar hijack! :bigsmile:

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Geek, my shoulder rig with said 44 is pretty comfortable to tote. Heck, my backpack always weighs 40 lbs, so 3 more lbs ain't gonna make lick of difference.:p

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
WA game wardens use bean bag and other less lethal rounds to scare away black bears when they release them from cages. Seem pretty effective.
Also have Karelian Bear Dogs that scare the shit out of bears.

This is probably the more effective part of their strategy. The bean bags are just gravy. Without the dogs I'd be willing to bet there would be a lot fewer wardens loading their guns with LTL ammo and a lot more going the 12ga route.

I'd run away from a guy brandishing an empty pop can if his buddy was fanged, shouting, and generally looking like he wanted to give me a good chomp. So I guess if you can convince a toothy, psychotic friend to go hiking with you, you can carry whatever you want...

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sportsdad60 wrote:
Geek, my shoulder rig with said 44 is pretty comfortable to tote. Heck, my backpack always weighs 40 lbs, so 3 more lbs ain't gonna make lick of difference.:p

Beautiful pic as always :drool: Beautiful lever gun and nice DA 44 mag. Used to own a Ruger Super Blackhawk 7.5" barrel though it's been years ago now. Figure I'm overdue to buy a 44 mag :bigsmile: Be safe in bear country and enjoy the hiking.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just read the title. Only 97 % success rate.

Fucking sucks to be you if you are a 3 percent-er.

I would be comfortable with 44 mag - or better, 45 long Colt topped with 265 gr hard cast.

Wear the bear, or the bear shits you out in a couple days.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
PMB wrote:

Agree. Glock 20 L with 15+1 full power, 200gr hard cast. In a holster of choice is not so hard to carry.

As a certified computer chair cowboy this would be my choice.

Some of these incidents say the person with a .44mag fired a warning shot into the dirt to scare it away... I'd say f that. I wouldn't want to count my rounds and waste one of my 6 shots.

15+1 200gr hardcast max load all the way. Besides, think about the worst case scenario if your shooting hand is injured but you have to use it anyway. In my mind it would be easier to hang onto 10mm Glock in recoil and grip characteristics alone, allowing for follow up shots with an injured hand.

NRA Certified RSO
SAF/NRA Life Member

Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:37 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Had a few .500 SW's, Desert Eagles. Really need a bandoleer holster or some suspenders. Felt like I was leaning a bit to one side.
Now, in Bear Country I have a 45-70 Marlin Guide Gun (Leupold 1.5-5) or a Rem 700 in .375 H&H mag (Leupold 3X9) nearby.
But ya, a 10mm pistol makes a lot of sense.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Blaze.45 wrote:
Pablo wrote:
PMB wrote:

As a certified computer chair cowboy this would be my choice.

Some of these incidents say the person with a .44mag fired a warning shot into the dirt to scare it away... I'd say f that. I wouldn't want to count my rounds and waste one of my 6 shots.

15+1 200gr hardcast max load all the way. Besides, think about the worst case scenario if your shooting hand is injured but you have to use it anyway. In my mind it would be easier to hang onto 10mm Glock in recoil and grip characteristics alone, allowing for follow up shots with an injured hand.

You'll shoot your toe off!!

Quote:
AK: Kim Woodman Kills Charging Grizzly with 10 mm 29 July, 2016

On 29 July, 2016, about 4 p.m. Kim Woodman was attacked by a sow brown bear at Humpy Creek.

Kim had a Glock model 20 10 mm pistol with him. He was able to stop the attack by shooting the bear as it charged at him. While backing away from the charging bear, Kim tripped and fell backward. He instinctively attempted to fend off the bear with his foot, while he concentrated on firing the shots that saved his life. The last shot was just short of contact. It probably hit the bear in the chest, but also took off the tip of one of Kim's toes.

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2016/08/ex ... fense.html

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:46 pm

How about a 45-70

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:58 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I thought this was about shooting your buddy in the knee with a 9mm to escape. Oh well

Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
PMB wrote:

Is that using the Glock factory barrel? I read confusing claims that you need a replacement barrel with "standard" rifling. Please enlight me

Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next