Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:01 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Pricing your gun for sale 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think if you treat collector firearms like art you do fine. Fine art fluctuates like mad and often it's just getting two interested parties together at the auction. Can be the difference between $5,000 and $50,000. Most art has ZERO intrinsic value. Most firearms have very little from an investment perspective.

Not sure if you have this lingo in your write-up (I did read it all!) but collector firearm = rare and not making any more of them. It's not a collectible until that point. You can try and guess which ones will fall in that category...and then the gun maker makes more. Or some alternative comes out that kills any collector value of a certain model.

I don't get bugged out when people put outrageous prices on common guns anymore. Or the Facebook posts where people want an "asalt rifal" in trade for their dirtbike or non-running "musclecar" e.g. 1974 T-Bird with avocado metalflake paint. I spent all those months running a blog dedicated to making fun of those guys and got burned out! I just laugh.

But as a guide to people who have no idea how to price a used gun...awesome resource there Soly.

Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:12 pm

I thought this article was fairly accurate—until I saw the date it was written. I remember several posts, whether on waguns or armslist, from people criticizing the “high priced” guns. But they kept selling. I myself sold several like new Glocks (Gen 3 and 4) for $500-550. And I usually sold it within 2-3 days.

Although I respect the obvious knowledge of the author, it was clearly out of touch with the market demands of 2012. Many were willing to pay dealer price for a used gun, just to avoid the tax, paperwork, or both.

Fortunately, almost 6 years after its original posting, it has become relevant (or accurate) again. In fact, he may be a little high on the AR estimates. But it was an interesting read.

Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:11 pm

I dont think any pricing can be based off Wades. Some times you go in and they are in range or on rare occasions (especially rare in last 2 years) below average price. Most the time you get a heavy Bellevue mark up regardless

Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:36 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

WesCaToll wrote:
I dont think any pricing can be based off Wades. Some times you go in and they are in range or on rare occasions (especially rare in last 2 years) below average price. Most the time you get a heavy Bellevue mark up regardless

Welcome, Curt. :wavey:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:50 pm

For insight on market pricing I visit gundeals.com. Here’s an example of a Glock 19.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/764503692031

Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:14 pm

I'll give you a little perspective on some of the market prices by my experience. 1997 I rolled into a gun show with cash in pocket and I walked past a man selling a model 29-2 S&W with wood grips and a wood presentation box with the cleaning kit and original manual. He wanted $400 for it I talked him down to $360 dollars. the gun probably wasn't shot until I came a long and hunted with it for several seasons. Everyday that year I could pick up model 19's for $150-200 in various conditions and even get a stainless wheel gun for $300 but I bought a brand new Glock 30 at a dealer at the show for $515 because I wanted something to carry. How did I do? Well the S&W you can't touch for less than $900 and the glock goes for about $500 on a good day. One gun really appreciated in value while the other was meh. I remember CZ-75's going for $300 all day long at the show back then now any 9mm seems to be worth $600 anywhere. The market is fickle, but if you buy something you like that is good quality guns are the only thing I have seen that hasn't depreciated in value. Except for Hi-Points, they seem to stay the same. But the people who really made it out was those guys who bought colt Pythons and Anacondas back in the day. Those went up ridiculously.

Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

solyanik wrote:
Just came from vacation in MT. I expected it to be a gun heaven, but found very few interesting deals. One Enfield for $230 at a pawn shop that was semi-interesting. The prices were in fact a lot less than what I observed around here, however. For instance, a (well) used Sig P226 for $450 - I've seen the same in worse condition for $800 at Wade's.

Got 3 guns from Cabela's in Idaho, however - a C96 Mauser (no rifling left, otherwise nice shape, and almost number matching) for $430, a Springfield 1863 converted to trapdoor for $340 (rusty though, but complete and numbers-matching), and a $100 Marlin 22.

I saw a new M4 in Gillette 3 days ago for 1800.

Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:11 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Selling a collection for a friend of the family.

I have an Anderson AR...those suckers really sell for 600 bux???

Seems really cheap

https://andersonmanufacturing.com/all-p ... 6-308.html

not that I want it.

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Mon May 16, 2022 4:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I remember when this thread was first created.....10 years ago ☠️☠️☠️

Mon May 16, 2022 5:01 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

IRackNBack wrote:

Wow ...

I now see whAT U MEAN.

But its still relevant.

Are Ars being sold for $600?

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Mon May 16, 2022 6:32 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

.../

Just sold the $559 carbine to a neighbor for 500

https://andersonmanufacturing.com/compl ... to-16.html

Mon May 16, 2022 6:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes ARs are plentiful still so unless they are very special they don't command much.

WaJim wrote:
IRackNBack wrote:

Wow ...

I now see whAT U MEAN.

But its still relevant.

Are Ars being sold for $600?

Mon May 16, 2022 8:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4