Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:02 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Let's talk night sights 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Several of my handguns have night sights.

I'm personally more a fan of the Tru Glo brand than the Tritium, but the are both fairly equivalent in my experience. I notice that if my eyes are adjusted to the dark these sites glow extremely well (about as bright as a star, for instance).

Just put on 2 new sets of Tru Glo sites on two carry guns (Walther PPS gen 1). Replaced the factory sites.

I have several guns with the factory glow paint and on one gun (Walther PPS gen 2) one of the rear eyes fell out. Never really understood the point of the factory glow paint. Unless you were carrying it in day light and then entered a dark room or you hit it with your flash light in a dark room, I don't see the point. Anyone else think they are mostly a sales gimmick to sell as "night sights" when they are really not very useful?

Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:00 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

leadcounsel wrote:
Anyone else think they are mostly a sales gimmick to sell as "night sights" when they are really not very useful?

Yep.

I have TruGlo TFO sights on all of my carry guns, and I'm a big fan. I haven't tried the newer TFX sights yet, I guess I need to buy a new carry gun so I can. :bigsmile:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yup, on my G23 daily carry, I have a set of Tru Glos that are probably about 10 or 11 years old. I think I put them on and they still glow extremely well and easily seen in the dark.

Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the TFO sights on my IDPA comp gun, an M&P9 Anand the newer TFX sights on my Shield and love them both. They really pop in the daylight and have helped on some lowlight stages I've shot. Can't beat them for the price.

Sent from my Life One X2 using Tapatalk

Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:20 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

+3 for TruGlo TFO
Glow bright at night, glow even brighter during the day.

Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

xrays

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I want to try the straight eights just because (am I over thinking this?) in a truly dark setting, would it be easy to put the front sight on the far right or left of a three dot alignment, by accident?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
I want to try the straight eights just because (am I over thinking this?) in a truly dark setting, would it be easy to put the front sight on the far right or left of a three dot alignment, by accident?

Some folks really love the straight 8s. I have some and they offer extreme simplicity. I would be okay with them - whatever is cheaper really. They'll get the job done. I'd do it. I wouldn't pay more for them though.

Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have Trijicon HDs on my carry pistol. I really, really like how they work for target acquisition. I really, really don't like how they're so sharp they grind small tiny little holes in my carry shirts.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:48 pm

jukk0u wrote:

I've heard of that happening, but nothing confirmed. The body has a natural pointing ability, much more so when the adrenaline is pumping. I wouldn't put much concern in it.

All my pistols have night sights on the front only, solid black on the rear...helps me to make sure my pistol is pointed the correct way on the night stand. :bigsmile:

NRA Life Member

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:47 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]