Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:03 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 My first Squib experience today. Now what? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually my buddy was shooting my AR10 while I was helping get my kid set up at MRC today. I had already put 20 rounds through the AR10 with the same ammo, some South African brass cased stuff I acquired in trade a few months ago. Anyway my buddy related to me that he had put a 20 round mag in the well, pulled the trigger and it went bang. The next time he pulled the trigger he told me all he heard was a click. I opened it up and saw the stuck case in the chamber with a struck primer. the mag still had 19 rounds so the first round must have been the squib. I can't see down the bore far enough to tell what's going on in there, whether just a stuck casing or a squib. Anyone have any ideas?

I have no clue how to approach the removal of this lil bitch so as I type my AR10 upper sits on my bench staring perplexingly back at me. Anyone have any advice or know a squib removal artist? I dont have a rod long enough to reach the squib from the muzzle of the 18" Mega barrel. Maybe it's not a squib and just a stuck casing? If it is a squib, the round did not travel very far because I can stick my 12" rod down the bore without hitting anything. Damn it this sucks!

I'll give someone a good deal on some cheap South African ammo if they get rid of my squib infestation.

Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Get a wooden dowel, I had a squib years ago in one of my M1As with some SA ammo and luckily for me the bullet didnt travel too far down the barrel and it came out with a few butt strokes on the pavement.

Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1- ... /204604792

This will fix it and also be insurance for the next one...

Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

old11bravo wrote:
Actually my buddy was shooting my AR10 while I was helping get my kid set up at MRC today. I had already put 20 rounds through the AR10 with the same ammo, some South African brass cased stuff I acquired in trade a few months ago. Anyway my buddy related to me that he had put a 20 round mag in the well, pulled the trigger and it went bang. The next time he pulled the trigger he told me all he heard was a click. I opened it up and saw the stuck case in the chamber with a struck primer. the mag still had 19 rounds so the first round must have been the squib. I can't see down the bore far enough to tell what's going on in there, whether just a stuck casing or a squib. Anyone have any ideas?

I have no clue how to approach the removal of this lil bitch so as I type my AR10 upper sits on my bench staring perplexingly back at me. Anyone have any advice or know a squib removal artist? I dont have a rod long enough to reach the squib from the muzzle of the 18" Mega barrel. Maybe it's not a squib and just a stuck casing? If it is a squib, the round did not travel very far because I can stick my 12" rod down the bore without hitting anything. Damn it this sucks!

I'll give someone a good deal on some cheap South African ammo if they get rid of my squib infestation.

I will take that Crappy SA ammo....how much for all of it? :bigsmile:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Even a squib should extract ... right?

There is something else going on.

Can you grab that sucker with needle nosed vice grip pliers?

Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:54 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

If you're not working tomorrow evening stop by my house and I'll get it out for you.

Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what does your extractor look like?

Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, I've burned up countless rounds of SA munitions, belt fed as well, and never had a squib load once.

Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:34 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Brass rod, yes.

Wooden dowel, hell no. It will split on the bullet and then you’ll be royally fucked.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:

I will take that Crappy SA ammo....how much for all of it? :bigsmile:

I have 219 rounds of it. If you're serious then send me a PM. I am done with it.

SporkBoy wrote:

There is something else going on.

Can you grab that sucker with needle nosed vice grip pliers?

My thoughts as well. Tried to pry the casing out already without any luck and I don't want to marr my chamber so I gave up on that method.

Mr. Q wrote:
what does your extractor look like?

I thought about that too. Thought for sure when I went to inspect it I'd find it broken or damaged but it looks fine. A few little extra shavings of brass but I figured it happened when the extractor was trying to do it's job. The only thing I can think of is that the case must have expanded in the chamber to the point where it's like Poo Bear trying to get out of Mr. Rabbits hole after eating 10 gallons of honey. It's stuck! Hence my question, is this a matter of a squib or a just a stuck casing?

MadPick wrote:
Brass rod, yes.

Wooden dowel, hell no. It will split on the bullet and then you’ll be royally fucked.

Sage advice that I hadn't taken into consideration previously. Thank you!

sinus211 wrote:
If you're not working tomorrow evening stop by my house and I'll get it out for you.

Dude, I will be forever indebted! Heading over to the mother in laws in Edmonds for homemade beef stew dinner tomorrow evening. I'll text tomorrow to see if you can schedule me in either before or after dinner. I have the night off and the wife flew off to Fairbanks Friday so I'll bring the hookers and blow if you're up to it.

Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now THAT's a date made in heaven :thumbsup2:

Good luck, guys!

Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you said all he heard was click. the bolt than cycled previous and didn't go off

did you re rack it and pull the trigger? from how you described it you need to restrike it for the round to go off.

surplus ammo has hard primers.

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:39 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:

The bullet could have engaged the rifling without leaving the case.

I had this happen in a 1911. Multiple attempts to rack the slide finally separated the case from the bullet.

I keep an 8" wooden dowel in my range bag for occasional sticky pistol cases and was able to drive the bullet back out.

Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ops wrote:
you said all he heard was click. the bolt than cycled previous and didn't go off

did you re rack it and pull the trigger? from how you described it you need to restrike it for the round to go off.

surplus ammo has hard primers.

^This. If the hammer reset, the first (and only) round fired passed the gas port and most likely exited the barrel. The bolt just didn't cycle far enough back to grab the next round. So you probably just have a stuck empty case. Brass rod slammed on the ground should do it.

Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well Ron. The ammo is garbage and the rifle is ruined. I'll schedule some time to pick it all up when I go to the recycler. :wink05:

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next