Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:19 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 What inexpensive revolvers would you recommend for teaching? 
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Bronco wrote:
That's easy

???

Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:48 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check around for used. Cabelas Gun Library.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:54 pm

os2firefox wrote:
True, but most people won't carry something larger than a j frame because it's harder to conceal.

Since he's teaching a self defense course, maybe start them out with a model 686 or 63 and then move them up as needed...

Definitely true about the carry piece. I think it's pretty common to start women out on small pistols because they aren't uncomfortable for experienced shooters, and many woman are more interested in carry then they are with range toys. Unfortunately, it's a bad start some shooters will never recover from. They associate shooting with discomfort, and quickly develop a flinch that makes accuracy illusive and frustrating.

I usually start with a .22lr and then mild 125g loads in .38 special. After that they can play with true carry pistols like the Sig 238s, LCPs, and S&W 642s, but at least they have a baseline of comfort and accuracy to move on from.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rutilate wrote:
quantsuff wrote:
If I was teaching new shooters, I'd invest in a .22lr semi-auto striker-fired.
If I was buying wheelguns for it, they'd also be in .22lr.

We're on the same page. We provide a number of MkIII and MKIVs they use to start shooting and get qualified, which is four five-shot groups in a 4" circle at 10". That is all that is required. By that time, in my experience, they're safe and can manage the firearm (under observation, of course).

Afterwards, I bring out a number of carry, target, and home defense pistols. Those who are comfortable doing so can choose to shoot pistols calibered in .380, .38, 9mm, .45, and (probably) soon to be .357.

in that case, buy an (indestructible) gp100 3" , cause you can/will use it after. If you buy cheap wheelies, perhaps not so much.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:38 pm

quantsuff wrote:
Rutilate wrote:
We're on the same page. We provide a number of MkIII and MKIVs they use to start shooting and get qualified, which is four five-shot groups in a 4" circle at 10". That is all that is required. By that time, in my experience, they're safe and can manage the firearm (under observation, of course).

Afterwards, I bring out a number of carry, target, and home defense pistols. Those who are comfortable doing so can choose to shoot pistols calibered in .380, .38, 9mm, .45, and (probably) soon to be .357.

in that case, buy an (indestructible) gp100 3" , cause you can/will use it after. If you buy cheap wheelies, perhaps not so much.

That's a good point. We seem to be converging on a GP100.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:46 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rutilate wrote:
quantsuff wrote:
Rutilate wrote:

That's a good point. We seem to be converging on a GP100.

:plusone:

While my Smith wheel guns are the ones I like to show off, I’d grab the Ruger first in a no-kidding SHTF situation. As a reliable and honest training tool it is a great choice.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

J&G Sales almost always has some used S&W .38s. Right now I see it's Model 10s for 3 or 4 bills.

If someone can't handle a Model 10 with standard pressure 158 grain stuff, it's going to be tough to match them with a defensive revolver. I have taught 8-10 year olds to shoot with 10s and K-38s.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

J-frame Smith in 22lr. My wife and mother in law can handle that no problem. Once they’ve practiced with the 22 then step them up to .38 special. Only give them 357 if you want them to hate shooting. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:05 pm

edogg wrote:
J-frame Smith in 22lr.

I would love to get one of those eventually, they seem to be pricey even used.

The .22lr Beretta 71s that have been imported recently are very easy to shoot and feel/looks more like a "real" pistol than a Mark series or Buckmark, but extra mags are way too expensive.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Me and my wife both shoot a S&W 617 22lr and a GP100 very often. She loves both. If blindfolded I dont think I could tell them apart till fired.

When she packs, I give here a choice between an S&W airweight 642 and a SP101 and she always chooses the SP101. Both are snubbies, but the S&W is horrible to shoot. Its an unpleasant experience that does not include any hint of accuracy.

Hand down the Rugers are heard to beat.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have an sp 101 By far the heaviest snub nosed revolver known to man. But I like it

Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:21 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

edogg wrote:
J-frame Smith in 22lr. My wife and mother in law can handle that no problem. Once they’ve practiced with the 22 then step them up to .38 special. Only give them 357 if you want them to hate shooting. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. If it's a self defense class a snubby .22 j frame would be a great start so they can get used to the small grip and heavy DA trigger pull. Then up to a .38spl snubby so they can experience the recoil they should expect in a self defense pistol. Then probably a Ruger SP101 in .357 with the 4" barrel and rubber Hogue grips if they want to experience .357mag recoil just for the hell of it. The ruger will withstand heavy loads and tons of abuse without you having to worry about beating up a nice gun.

If you want reasonably priced ammo for a .357mag that has some kick try American Eagle. I've found their factory FMJ to be some of the hottest loaded "plinking" ammo.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a GP100 and a model 10 smith. Both are great guns. Either way if and when you go to sell, you will get 90% of your money back. No so with a Taurus. I also have a 642 I frame that I carry, not great for practice. Good choice on the lcrx. A new shooter will be more accurate with the single action option, I have seen a few get frustrated with their accuracy when double action is the only option like with my 642. The hammer is there but is covered and can’t be cocked. My next purchase will likely be a SP101. Great middle size revolver as I will be hiking with it.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Last edited by mcyclonegt on Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:00 pm

Rutilate wrote:
Bronco wrote:
That's easy

???

Sorry, I couldn't help myself..
"4" circle at 10". "

Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd look in the $400 range.

I echo the idea that a small snub will instantly be so unenjoyable nobody will want to shoot or learn on it much. So that's a no-go.

Look for a 4" model, maybe 6" model, for training. These newbies need to have enjoyable experience. That means low recoil and "hey, I hit the bulls eye!" "Let me shoot some more" experience.

I'd go for a .22LR. Super cheap and simple.

Or if you want to step up, I can say from personal experience that my Taurus Tracker .38/.357 is extremely awesome. Ran me about $300 or so used. Same with the Taurus 65. Any Taurus clone of the SW medium sized guns is great, and a life time warranty is nice.

Rugers and Smiths are great but probably too nice to let a bunch of strangers routinely abuse. No way I'd let 10 strangers fondle and shoot my GP100 or SW586 on a weekly or monthly basis...

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next