Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 11:28 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 What inexpensive revolvers would you recommend for teaching? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hkcavalier wrote:
sreyemj wrote:
Rutilate wrote:
As I mentioned upthread, I have a Ruger LCRX that people can shoot in the small category and am still looking at a Model 10 or 64 for mid-size, and a GP100 or Model 686 or equivalent for the large frame revolvers.

Aren't model 686, 64, and 10 all "K" frames? You want the Model 28 for a larger "N" frame .357.

Yeah, you're not going to find a cheap S&W N frame anymore. The days of "carried a lot, fired little" $350 Highway Patrolman revolvers is long gone. They certainly are pleasant to shoot but you do need at least medium sized male hands to fit right.

Certainly the days of police trade-in revolvers has gone long by the wayside.

Tried one of the Ruger LCR models in the gun store recently. The trigger was really great for a factory revo action and certainly was awesome in comparison to the standard airweight Smith j-frame 442/642 model. So that is definitely the way to go for those new shooters that are gluttons for punishment :bigsmile:

686 L-frame revos fit a fairly large range of paw sizes. IMO they have a very versatile grip size. Plus there are a fair number of used 686 models out there to shave a bit of cost. One of the last time's I was in the Marksman in Puyallup they had a pretty good selection of used revo's (couple years ago now). I expect brand new ones go for about $850ish so they are definitely not cheap.

N-frame revos like the 627 are a pretty big handful size wise. They work well for me though have really large hands so the grip size is not a problem. Expect a price tag right around $1000ish for brand new. So cost is really steep on these.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4