Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:54 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 No shooting within 500' of buildings--applies to neighbor's? 
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Folks,
The law states that you cannot discharge firearms withing 500' of residences, businesses, or structures. http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=332-52-145
Got it.

Someone asked the question: What if I'm on my property, firing into a dirt berm also on my property--and the neighbor's house is 300-400' from the firing line in the opposite direction of fire?

As I read it, no matter how safe the firing line and target are, if that neighbor doesn't like guns, they could apply this law against this scenario, correct?

Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:08 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does that also apply to a building your own property? :popcorn:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:11 pm

And that's another potentially silly loophole that surely someone will try to exploit. I can't find any language that excludes your own property.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:27 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rutilate wrote:
Folks,
The law states that you cannot discharge firearms withing 500' of residences, businesses, or structures. http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=332-52-145
Got it.

Someone asked the question: What if I'm on my property, firing into a dirt berm also on my property--and the neighbor's house is 300-400' from the firing line in the opposite direction of fire?

As I read it, no matter how safe the firing line and target are, if that neighbor doesn't like guns, they could apply this law against this scenario, correct?

From reading that statute I surmised it to pertain to department-managed lands only. Nothing said about private property.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:34 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Caveman Jim wrote:
Rutilate wrote:
Folks,
Got it.

From reading that statute I surmised it to pertain to department-managed lands only. Nothing said about private property.

Exactly

Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:43 pm
Profile WWW

Good call, Caveman Jim.

Quote:
(1) What is recreational target shooting? Recreational target shooting is the use of a firearm or bow and arrow on targets and the sighting in of rifles or other firearms on department-managed lands.

That seems to indicate private property isn't regulated...
However,
Quote:
(c) Persons shall not shoot on, at, across, along, down, from, or within five hundred feet, of:
(i) Recreational facilities that are not specifically designed for target shooting;
(ii) Residences;

indicates residences--do you read this as only when shooting on department-managed lands and shooting within 500' of residences? I could go for that.

Are there any other statutes that an individual might run afoul of if they shoot on their property but within 500' of a neighbor's residence? Other than "don't make an enemy of your neighbor"?

Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:45 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rutilate wrote:
Folks,
Got it.

Title 332 is the laws for DNR. This applies to DNR land.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's another wrinkle. Since the courts just ruled that your vehicle can be your residence?

Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:23 pm

Rutilate wrote:
Are there any other statutes that an individual might run afoul of if they shoot on their property but within 500' of a neighbor's residence? Other than "don't make an enemy of your neighbor"?

Local jurisdictions can enact restrictions on the discharge of firearms (per RCW 9.41.300 (2a)). So depending on where you live, either city or county ordinance will apply. Search for the ordinance appropriate to where you live.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is a dirt berm considered a structure?

Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rutilate wrote:
Folks,
Got it.

Its a WAC, not an RCW. Not applicable to private property.

You need to look at the laws around your municipality.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:49 am

Ya'll are right--this covers DNR land. I'll look further into local statutes.

Thanks!

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:01 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about Roads? Are forest service roads, roads?

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mmalleck wrote:
Is a dirt berm considered a structure?

No, that's a backstop, duh...

Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rutilate wrote:
Good call, Caveman Jim.

Quote:
(1) What is recreational target shooting? Recreational target shooting is the use of a firearm or bow and arrow on targets and the sighting in of rifles or other firearms on department-managed lands.

That seems to indicate private property isn't regulated...
However,
Quote:
(c) Persons shall not shoot on, at, across, along, down, from, or within five hundred feet, of:
(i) Recreational facilities that are not specifically designed for target shooting;
(ii) Residences;

indicates residences--do you read this as only when shooting on department-managed lands and shooting within 500' of residences? I could go for that.

I do, there are residences near Department lands.

Good luck and I hope your neighbors don't get their panties in a bunch.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]