Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:48 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 DIY Stoving (or something similar)? 

Do any of you guys have experience with doing your own stoving? Could use some input on the project below...

Situation:

I have a Luxembourg FN-49 that I acquired recently in a trade. It came with an aftermarket scope mount receiver cover. It's nifty but not what I'm going for. It had come to the guy without the original receiver cover and he didn't have it. I knew this ahead of time and planned to order a .30-06 receiver cover from Gun Parts once the rifle was in-hand.

Problem:

The receiver cover came. It's gray. The phosphate (Parkerizing) is still there but the stoving is long gone.

Goal:

I want this gun to be a shooter and to look right from the next bench over at the range. It's already mismatched so there's no kind of milsurp/collectability piety issue hanging in the balance here.

Solutions:

Stoving enamel is readily available in other parts of the world but it doesn't really seem to be a thing in the US, apart from a few specialty coating products available industrially from PPG (in industrial-type quantities). But, stoving enamel is basically just a thermo-setting impact-resistant one-part coating system.

My idea is to clean the thing with acetone and then paint it with some gloss black barbecue paint. Once it's coated I could probably take it through the thermal setting time/temp steps in my oven. If it's too shiny compared to the rest of the gun, I could weather it a bit with 0000 steel wool.

I am kind of spitballing on this plan here - if any of you have been down this road before, I would be keen to hear your experiences and ideas.

Thanks in advance.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:27 pm

A good substitute is Red Devil brand spray semi-gloss black epoxy paint. Used to be carried by Home Crapo.

Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]