Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:09 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Doublestack 9mms - looking for suggestions 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I currently own a 92FS, but I'll be throwing that up on the market for sale/trade shortly. What "high capacity" doublestack 9s are you guys fans of, and why?

Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glock 19:

Lots of aftermarket parts as well as OEM parts
Mags are plentiful & cheap and will take Glock 17 mags
Shoots perfect right out of the box IMHO
Will eat ANY kind of 9MM ammo

Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been very happy with my Smith M&P. I think most of the mid priced 9s are pretty decent. Fondle a bunch and decide based on what feels best in your hand.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fungunnin wrote:
I've been very happy with my Smith M&P. I think most of the mid priced 9s are pretty decent. Fondle a bunch and decide based on what feels best in your hand.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Just make sure you are in a Gun Store before you start Fondling......... :bigsmile:

Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Springfield XD line is a really solid bunch of pistols, but I do find the M&P pistols more ergonomic. But as far as reliability and after-market options go, Glock wins. Sig pistols are nice, but I've never shot them particularly well. I keep hearing great things about CZ, but never tried one so I can't comment.

Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Walther PPQ. Best factory trigger on a polymer handgun.
If you like all metal, then look at one of the SIGs.
CZ-75 is also a good full sized option.

The Right to Buy Weapons Is the Right to Be Free

Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:27 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

What's the intended use? Are you looking for something you can carry? Just a range gun? Do you want something fancy that looks nice? Or are you just concerned with something that shoots/functions well?

Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

75 series CZs.

You get capacity and a hammer.

Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

zombie66 wrote:
Glock 19:

Lots of aftermarket parts as well as OEM parts
Mags are plentiful & cheap and will take Glock 17 mags
Shoots perfect right out of the box IMHO
Will eat ANY kind of 9MM ammo

Sometimes, I think there's something wrong with me since on paper, the Glock checks off so many boxes (great aftermarket support, cheap mags, reliable, etc.) but I'm just so ambivalent about them. They're not bad pistols at all, their track record with LE/military says it all. A Polymer 80 build is definitely on the horizon for me and ever since I shot a range buddy's Roland Special, I've been lusting for one of my own as well.

sinus211 wrote:
What's the intended use? Are you looking for something you can carry? Just a range gun? Do you want something fancy that looks nice? Or are you just concerned with something that shoots/functions well?

Primary purpose would be recreational/range use. While aesthetics are a plus, function takes priority.

Old Growth and Guns4liberty, I've owned CZs and Jerichos before and liked them. The only gripes I have about them are the price of magazines (although they could have gone down by now) and that there's so little real estate to grab on the slides.

Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:59 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

If that's the case then the M&P series is probably a good option. They're a bit more ergonomic than other polymer pistols and have good aftermarket support and cheap mags. The XD/XDm series from Springfield is nice but they're so similar to a Glock that you might not like them. Lots of options in double stack 9's but if you want cheap mags that really limits things. The FN 9mm pistols are nice too but you'll pay a little more for mags. IMO HK pistols are pretty meh. You own the beretta 92 already, and said you've already had experience with the CZ's (which are a great option).

Probably best to go to a range with rentals and do some shooting. Sometimes you find a winner in a place you'd never thought to look. I have a Canik stingray C that I picked up on the cheap that's become one of my favorite 9mm pistols to shoot. You never know what might just be the right pistol for you until you've shot it. I used to suffer from Glock stigma but since really giving them a chance I've become a huge fan. My el cheapo G17 is one of my most accurate pistols (for me). Time to go put some rounds downrange and let the right pistol find you.

Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CZ P09 or P07 are great options. MegGar makes 17 and 19 round mags that are just as good if not better than the CZ equivalent. Look for the mags with the blue follower for the win. The P07 mags are the same as the CZ 75 and P10 mags, while the P09 mags fit nothing else. The threaded model P07 has been a gem and is my bedside companion.

Divided we fall.

Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m not a big fan of Glock either. Although I do own a 43.

I’m not really a ‘fan’ of sig either but I do like the P226 enough to own two of them and carry one of those every day. They just feel right and shoot well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:39 pm
Site Moderator / In Memoriam
Site Moderator / In Memoriam

I like the Browning HiPower or similar clones.
They have a good feel and a great look about them.
The grips and grip angle fit my hand well.

cootduster

I'm not old.

I'm just no longer young !!!

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For a range gun, you should buy that $300 Ruger P89 9mm with 2 mags. Those are good well build guns with very common mags, very rugged and reliable, and the weight really tames the 9mm to almost nothing. Very pleasant to shoot, and a fantastic price.

Or heck, get something interesting like a C&R pistol - Tokarev, Makarov, CZ82, Polish, etc. Not 9mm or double stacks but for range use what difference does it make?

For serious use, for hammer guns I'd go CZ, Sig, HK, Bersa Pro. For polymer I'd go Glock, XD, M&P, Walther...

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:20 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

leadcounsel wrote:
For a range gun, you should buy that $300 Ruger P89 9mm with 2 mags. Those are good well build guns with very common mags, very rugged and reliable, and the weight really tames the 9mm to almost nothing. Very pleasant to shoot, and a fantastic price.

Paid $225 for my last one, have a few.
Great truck, boat, or loaner guns. If it gets stolen you won't care a whole lot.
Overbuilt but they have a trigger pull like a staple gun.
Always go bang.

One guy had some 9mm "Ruger P-85/89 only" reload data that had them up to .357 specs.

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next