Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:56 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 AR15 gunsmith for a custom built 

Hi Guys,

Any recommendation for a good AR15 gunsmith for a complete custom built - I have the parts but just don't have the time or trust myself to do it correctly.

Thanks!

Sun May 13, 2018 9:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pantel in Renton

Sun May 13, 2018 10:06 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

L_O_G wrote:
Pantel in Renton

:thumbsup2:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun May 13, 2018 10:22 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Pantel is definitely good.
My personal fave is Rehv Arms in covington, though. They've built me 3 amazing rifles and done custom work on several other guns.

Sun May 13, 2018 10:31 am

SBRNow wrote:
Hi Guys,

Any recommendation for a good AR15 gunsmith for a complete custom built - I have the parts but just don't have the time or trust myself to do it correctly.

Thanks!

Sir...can you spare one day...say, either the evening of the 18th (after about 6:30 or so), some of the 19th, or maybe sometime around the 2nd of June?

Let me explain...

I am---shall we say--an experienced AR rifle wrencher, to put it lightly.

I can come up--I'll kinda be in the area anyway, especially the evening of the 18th--and bring the proper tools. I will talk you through proper assembly of the AR rifle, from whatever level you have--to include checking headspace of your bolt to your barrel. One question...do you have a vise? We'll need one for proper installation of the barrel nut and muzzle device.

My price?

Well, a couple of nice bottles of Sobe lifewater will do nicely. I'm partial to Fuji apple.

What do you think?

Sun May 13, 2018 5:36 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Powderman wrote:
SBRNow wrote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks!

Sir...can you spare one day...say, either the evening of the 18th (after about 6:30 or so), some of the 19th, or maybe sometime around the 2nd of June?

Let me explain...

I am---shall we say--an experienced AR rifle wrencher, to put it lightly.

I can come up--I'll kinda be in the area anyway, especially the evening of the 18th--and bring the proper tools. I will talk you through proper assembly of the AR rifle, from whatever level you have--to include checking headspace of your bolt to your barrel. One question...do you have a vise? We'll need one for proper installation of the barrel nut and muzzle device.

My price?

Well, a couple of nice bottles of Sobe lifewater will do nicely. I'm partial to Fuji apple.

What do you think?

This sounds like an offer you can't refuse. And if you don't have a vise, it would be worth buying one. thumbsup

You get the rifle built, and you get to learn at the same time! Powderman knows his stuff, I'd take advantage of that.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun May 13, 2018 5:39 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Yeah that’s the best deal on the market.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Sun May 13, 2018 6:10 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, very kind offer....

Props to da Powderman :thumbsup2:

:cheers2:

Sun May 13, 2018 7:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great Offer! thumbsup

I would take that offer. I tackled my first build via youtube and buying some tools and vise to tackle the project. I had some moments where I was unsure of myself and having someone there to walk through the process and give some tips would be extremely beneficial.

Kudos Powderman!

Sun May 13, 2018 7:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My 0.02$

I used the service at Rainier Arms (Auburn) once. It was around $100 maybe a bit more. It took one business day and the gunsmith called me for a part that didn't fit. I was able to replace it over the phone and pay for it when picking up.

Sun May 13, 2018 8:09 pm

NWGunner wrote:
Wow, very kind offer....

Thankee kindly!

At one time, I did have my own gunsmithing business. My specialities were repair and build 1911 pistols, Smith and Wesson revolvers--and bluing. I learned how to polish good gun steel to an eye-popping gleam.

Lots of folks don't realize that a good bluing job has nothing to do with the bluing solution--and everything to do with the metal prep before hand. Yes, there are some interesting contrasts--everything from a rich actual blue to blacker than midnight, depending on the chemicals.

Ya wanna see purty? Look at nitre blued parts. Can't really use it for a whole gun, because it can draw the austempering right out of the steel.

Still, I found that I came to resent it...and I learned that what my father told me was very true indeed: The quickest way to hate something is when you have to do it for a living. Besides, I like teaching others way too much--to see the proverbial "light bulb" come on when the work they thought was a cross between quantum physics and alchemy was actually VERY easy.

Sun May 13, 2018 9:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An outstanding offer, I would jump on it if I was you

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mon May 14, 2018 4:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Powderman wrote:
NWGunner wrote:
Wow, very kind offer....

Thankee kindly!

At one time, I did have my own gunsmithing business. My specialities were repair and build 1911 pistols, Smith and Wesson revolvers--and bluing. I learned how to polish good gun steel to an eye-popping gleam.

Lots of folks don't realize that a good bluing job has nothing to do with the bluing solution--and everything to do with the metal prep before hand. Yes, there are some interesting contrasts--everything from a rich actual blue to blacker than midnight, depending on the chemicals.

Ya wanna see purty? Look at nitre blued parts. Can't really use it for a whole gun, because it can draw the austempering right out of the steel.

Still, I found that I came to resent it...and I learned that what my father told me was very true indeed: The quickest way to hate something is when you have to do it for a living. Besides, I like teaching others way too much--to see the proverbial "light bulb" come on when the work they thought was a cross between quantum physics and alchemy was actually VERY easy.

I'd be interested just to watch being built. I've built several AR's on my own, and went the YouTube route as well. I'd love to watch a professional smith build one to learn what I didn't get from the videos, I'm sure there are nuances that simply don't make it through in the videos.

I'd be even more interested in watching a 1911 being built. I've built one from scratch (Sarco kit), and one from a 1943 Colt that literally came to me in a Ziploc bag minus the frame.

Mon May 14, 2018 7:26 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]