Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:46 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 have an itch for a 10MM pistol 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I've been considering a 10MM pistol lately. Main purpose is to take up in the mountains when wife and I do some camping and maybe some hiking.

Ive been leaning toward a 1911 and looked at RIA and Ruger but also took a peek at the Glock. I kinda like the thinner profile of the 1911 since my wife is able to handle it better but we also own a couple of Glocks.

What is everyone thoughts on the 10MM and what do own/prefer.

Fri May 18, 2018 5:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had the same issue lately. Mostly because I had everything to reload for it. I picked up a Glock 20. Have not shot it yet and it is my first Glock. The RIA was pretty nice that I fondled.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Fri May 18, 2018 5:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think if you're taking it hiking, weather resistance and weight suggest you get a GLOCK.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri May 18, 2018 5:51 pm

The Glock 20, or the 40, are great pistols. However, fitment to you and your wife's hands are important. You'll have to determine what fits better.

Fri May 18, 2018 6:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

food for thought, you could always get a glock 21, then buy a 10mm barrel and you're essentially good to go. two calibers for the convenience of one pistol. this is actually what i'm doing, btw. just have to figure out what company to get the barrel from.

Fri May 18, 2018 6:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mr. Q wrote:
food for thought, you could always get a glock 21, then buy a 10mm barrel and you're essentially good to go. two calibers for the convenience of one pistol. this is actually what i'm doing, btw. just have to figure out what company to get the barrel from.

Will a 20 barrel fit in a 21?

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Fri May 18, 2018 6:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

like a glove. lemme find the glockforums link

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/12/daniel-zimmerman/frankenglock-10mm-45-glock-21/

the conversion kit requires a barrel, magazine, and recoil spring (20lb).
the fellas over at glock talk are adamant about changing out the extractor and ejector, but from the research i've done, it doesn't seem necessary for gen4 g21's.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/stormlake-glock-21-21sf-45acp-to-10mm-conversion-6-02-in-extended-length.html
https://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=1&mID=5
KKM barrel - http://www.rockyourglock.com/custom/KKM-G21G1.htm

there are guys who have done a 460 rowland conversion. i'm not that crazy though.

Fri May 18, 2018 6:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rafman wrote:
So I've been considering a 10MM pistol lately. Main purpose is to take up in the mountains when wife and I do some camping and maybe some hiking.

Ive been leaning toward a 1911 and looked at RIA and Ruger but also took a peek at the Glock. I kinda like the thinner profile of the 1911 since my wife is able to handle it better but we also own a couple of Glocks.

What is everyone thoughts on the 10MM and what do own/prefer.

Either Glock 40 or 20SF (I made the mistake years ago before SF of getting the FAT regular 20). Don't get me wrong, I am a 1911 fan, but 15 rounds in the Glock is so much better. I am a bit of a 10mm guy and basically the only round I reload for, well mainly because I have a 10mm AR SBR (11" barrel) and SW 1006 and a Glock 20SF Longslide 6.2". I shoot over max loads in the AR (really beefy chamber), thing is a hoot.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Last edited by Pablo on Fri May 18, 2018 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 18, 2018 7:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

10mm's are wonderful, never met one that I did not like. Like previously stated the Glock is IMHO the best for your purpose. For light weight, durability in bad climates, and capacity, you will play hell beating the Glock. The model 40 is again IMHO the smoothest shooting 10mm that I have tried yet, and holds almost twice as many rounds as a 1911. The model 29 is compact and has a great horsepower to weight ratio.

For 1911's try the Ruger 10mm Match bull barrel from the factory. For only a little more than the Glock. For target shooting I do like the 1911's but for packing, especially in the woods I will stick with my Glock's.

Fri May 18, 2018 7:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glock 20 for hiking. Tanfoglio Witness Hunter for all other purposes.

Fri May 18, 2018 7:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Briefly looked at the tanfoglio. I may have to go out and try renting a Glock and see how the wife does with it. She shoots 1911’s pretty decent and the glocks not so much. That’s why we were considering the 1911 but I do see the benefits of the Glock.

Which is why the RIA was at the top of the list for the price point, being blued and I won’t mind it getting it a little beat up.

Fri May 18, 2018 8:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

for the weather I agree with Jim and the others on the Glock, however if your wife shoots the 1911 better an you mentioned the RIA you can also get a 10mm RIA in a 16+1 configuration it is comfortable to shoot too and had a bull barrel. I own one in 10mm I also own a Tanfoglio Witness in 10mm if you wonder about the feel of shooting them you can come up and I`ll let you shoot them both

It was a Night Op in the library with an AK Pistol by TW...

Fri May 18, 2018 8:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the glock 20. My favorite handgun. It is thicker than regular full size glocks like 22 or 17.

Fri May 18, 2018 10:19 pm

I have a older RIA 1911. When they first came out with them back in...2012? Only complaint I had on it were the grips as they were cut a bit aggressive and got uncomfortable (to me) shooting higher power loads. Also have a S&W 1076 (1006 variant) which is nice except for the trigger. I had a glock 20...sold it as it just didn't fit my hand comfortably.

Sat May 19, 2018 5:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Picked up a Colt Delta Elite recently. Good solid shooter.

Divided we fall.

Sat May 19, 2018 8:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next