Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:06 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Night Sights? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone here think I should put night sights on one of my Win M 94 .30/30's?
If so, where can I practice with it during dark conditions?
Am I more likely to need to pull the trigger after dark?

Even private club ranges won't let me fire at night, and I have fired in the woods, way out, after dark but am busy around here this week.

Last edited by ak-47 on Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:24 am

Mission drives the gear train. Whether or not you need that depends on whether it's a "go-to" for defensive/offensive purposes. That's all you.

Plenty of places out in the sticks to do low light. I do it alot.

Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, mission drives need.

If anyone has ever experienced needing to shoot at night or low light… will realize that one needs night sights. Even with lights attached it’s always best to have some ability to fall back to a primary system.

If one has a self defense setup - Yes, you should absolutely consider night sights.

Now for training. It depends on what training needs and where you are a member of (any range).

A few have after hours and if they use lights during those winter hours - as the sun sets earlier then it might be on the border of low light conditions (if they allow you to turn off those external lights).

But no there isn’t really anywhere to go as a range to shoot low light.

Renton Fish and Game does a Black Rifle match and sometimes they do a low light (evening shoot).

FYI - I have conducted a few low light/no light shoots many moons ago. Lessons learned.

Yes, you need night sights. Be prepared to be blinded as you shoot and try to regain your night vision.

Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:02 am

Having been in two scrapes on the street. one in low and and the other in no light...here's my take.

Night sights are great for two times a day...dawn and dusk...other than those two times, they act like regular sights. If it's no light type dark, you can't positively ID anything, and you'll need white light.

If you have a white light available, as soon as the light is on...it bleaches out the glow tubes, and you're back to regular sights.

A great combo is white light with fiber optic front sight. When the light comes on, you have a fantastic glowing front sight.

If you really want to go with night sights, make sure you get a make/model that really glows bright.

NRA Life Member

Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:57 am
Profile WWW

And of course this is an area where a red dot shines (see what I did there), night shooting, whether rifle or pistol.

On a rifle, I could care less about night sights, the RDS is where it's at.

Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tried out night sights on an AR, what happens is that they all go blurry depending on what you are focusing on. For that reason I recommend only getting the front as a night sight, the rears have no reason for it other than to look cool.

Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:59 pm

I don't think I'd actually ever put tritium sights on any rifle, now that I think about it.

And one of my own lessons learned from shooting at night with irons on a pistol is, my own preferrence for tritium front only.

Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, aware of muzzle flash problems. Definitely hate plastic sights as I love a classic looking piece.

I think the factory red hi viz helps me on the old Ithaca 37, even though it's old plastic, I can pick it up well swinging the 12 ga dawn or dusk. Green hi-viz on my Super X2.

Win 94 mentioned in post is Early 70's. Have another early 50's custom case hardened by Dave Norin with Williams peep + gold Bead, and one semi- buckhorn factory early 50's.

Dark under the trees and the bigger bulls, bucks, bears, and cats only usually move at first light. I much prefer to be inside easy Archery range during Modern Rifle Season.

Thanks for such solid advice Homies-

Last edited by ak-47 on Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cerberus Group wrote:
Having been in two scrapes on the street. one in low and and the other in no light...here's my take.

Night sights are great for two times a day...dawn and dusk...other than those two times, they act like regular sights. If it's no light type dark, you can't positively ID anything, and you'll need white light.

If you have a white light available, as soon as the light is on...it bleaches out the glow tubes, and you're back to regular sights.

A great combo is white light with fiber optic front sight. When the light comes on, you have a fantastic glowing front sight.

If you really want to go with night sights, make sure you get a make/model that really glows bright.

This is great advice right here, especially the part about target ID in no light.

I am a fan of the Truglo TFX Pro sights because they are tritium and fiber optic. The tritium glows bright in no light, and the fiber optic glows bright when the light comes on.

Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:10 pm

ak-47 wrote:
Anyone here think I should put night sights on one of my Win M 94 .30/30's?

I don't know about night sights but I think its Turnbull who makes a pistol red dot mount for lever actions. It screws into the side of the receiver where there are already holes if memory serves.

Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmm, best of both worlds. I will have to check out the TFX's. I got TruGlo on a Para Companion LDA .45acp. Always looking for the goldilocks gun. Thanks again, guys.

Last edited by ak-47 on Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:49 am

I use a green dot and a red light for night on my AR. No time to mess with night sites. On my 624 I have a mount on the butt on the bottom of the grip so I can run a green laser or a red laser or any one of my lights as I use cam loc mounts easy on easy off and no change in zero. I had some tritium so I redid some of my sites. The tritium did not last long so I never recoated.

Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like the collective Nays have it. I will stick with current set up for this year.

Scout mounted a 2x pistol scope on my SKS M, not really nearly as useful in practice as what I had hoped for. The Theory sounded great on paper.

So will check all options mentioned. Thanks again.

Back from the Night Shoot, Happy enough with light colored targets, or dead clay birds, but a dark target on a dark background is somewhat sketch past 30 yds with the .30/30.
Attachment:
P1010001.JPG
Attachment:
P1010002.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]