Sig Sauer P229 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
M&P 2.0 Compact 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
CZ 97B 28%  28%  [ 11 ]
FN FNX 45 Tactical 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Chiappa Rhino 40DS 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Berreta M9a3 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 39

Help Pick a gun I've never owned 

Decided I needed some help in choosing my next pistol.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:30 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Errrr . . . any guidelines at all? Can you tell us what you already own?

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

P7M8

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I owned a rhino for about a month. Worst revolver trigger I've ever encountered, and the cylinder arm broke on the 6th shot. Once I got it back from Chiappa warranty I sold it.

That being said, it was the softest shooting .357 I've ever owned.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:54 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

You can't go wrong with a glock 17.

That being said there's nothing special about it other than it works and shoots straight.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The FN is nice, especially with all you get. If you have a 45 suppressor, this is a good host out of the box.
Drawbacks: Mags feel cheap. There's only one guy that does trigger jobs (last time i checked), and the trigger is not that great. There's really no aftermarket support for it.
I don't like glocks for ergonomic reasons, but they are very reliable and cheap to start with. There is a bunch of aftermarket stuff, so you could sink a ton of money into it.
I haven't tried a 229, but the 226 is nice.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Get yourself a B&T APC9 or H&K SP5K. Then file the NFA paperwork and turn ‘em into rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Colt wrote:
Decided I needed some help in choosing my next pistol.

That's a VERY wide range of options, from full sized .45 acp (CZ 97B) to a compact 9mm...

And strikers and hammers.

I think you'd get far better advice if you sorta expressed your experiences, interests, intended uses/needs...

Sorta like just asking strangers to help you pick a vehicle... do you need a truck, car, van?

But I can offer feedback.
The Glock 17 is a staple in every collection, basic no nonsense workhorse. Love 'em. Some folks hate 'em, but they just plain work and are simple, affordable, easy to maintain, rugged, inexpensive and common mags including 33 rd mags. This is the true SHTF survival gun here.

SIG P229 is a near perfect hammer fired gun, but it does suffer from being a tiny bit larger and heavier than competition, with marginally less capacity. But the P229 is in my top 5 choices for a no-nonsense carry pistol. If you just want a range pistol, also consider the P220, or the less expensive Zastava CZ999 or the AREX Zero (getting wildly good reviews for a $600 Sig clone).

I like the ergos of the FNX and FN makes great guns. The Beretta M9 is alright but I don't like the slide mounted safety. I'd go with the Sig over the Beretta or the FN.

The 97B is a very large, ergonomic, 10 round .45acp. I had a barrel bushing problem on mine on shot #2 it bent and seized up the gun - it's a known issue to be aware of and I think there are two designs. I like the gun but it's enormous for the role of a low capacity .45acp. High priced, and expensive mags, and limited aftermarket. A very niche and unique gun that you don't see many of.

M&P is a Glock wannabe. I prefer Glocks or XDs myself. I'd look at the XD before a M&P. The XD has great additional features.

Last edited by leadcounsel on Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe the OP is a carpe diem type of guy.

Canik tp9s(X).

Reliable, very comfortable and fairly inexpensive depending on model chosen hence the (X).

Tp9sa - Nicest stock trigger - grip comfy - bullet goes where I want it to - i paid 320$ + ffl + tax.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only answers that count begin with "it depends..."
Should you buy flip-flops to go mountain climbing? Combat boots for the beach? Either one for a formal dinner? No answer will help you till you state your use case/decision parameters.
Because it is cool is a valid use case.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

^^^ If it's just a "keep forever because it's really really cool" factor gun, I'd recommend the Sig P229. It might be one of the sexiest cool handguns ever made.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

quantsuff wrote:
The only answers that count begin with "it depends..."
Should you buy flip-flops to go mountain climbing? Combat boots for the beach? Either one for a formal dinner? No answer will help you till you state your use case/decision parameters.
Because it is cool is a valid use case.

How could you determine what is a valid answer? You’re not the OP. The OP stated “pick a gun I’ve never owned”. Seems to be the only guideline here.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't buy any CZ products. They are amazing pistols, but the demand is too high. If you don't know what you're missing, just avoid them.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:
Colt wrote:
M&P is a Glock wannabe. I prefer Glocks or XDs myself. I'd look at the XD before a M&P. The XD has great additional features.

I like the xd/xdm lines the best from an ergonomic standpoint. They fit my hand very well. The xdm competition model is one of my favorites.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DSynger wrote:
Don't buy any CZ products. They are amazing pistols, but the demand is too high. If you don't know what you're missing, just avoid them.

DSynger is correct. A CZ75 was my first CZ pistol and its been downhill since. CZ's are an addiction and I'm very fond of the SP01.

I would suggest try heading to a range and renting these if they are available and see which you like best. There have been a couple of pistols i thought I would like to own and after a trip to the range decided to go another route.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next