Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Opinion on AR’s chambered outside of 5.56/.223 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
TwizDD wrote:
Long range= 224 Valkyrie

If you like buying barrels. Better off with the 6.8 SPC or for that matter just build an AR-10. The .224 Valkyrie presents the same issue as all the other "over-bore" cartridges. Lots of fire in the boiler, lots of speed, and lots of barrel erosion. Ask anyone with a 22-250 how they like the barrel life.

Since opinions were requested I think the best round for the AR is .223/5.56. Magazines are built for that case/cartridge, all internal parts are designed to work with it, and all other calibers require compromise.

As for Long Range, where I shoot long range you don't find many AR's. Lots of bolt actions though with barrels up to 30" long for the most part and calibers that use .308 bullets. :rofl9:

224 is interesting, but the overbore worries me as well with regards to barrel life.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not a fan of the Valkyrie, but the "overbore" comments are a bit exagerrated. It has nowhere near the case capacity of the 22-250, and in fact is less than either the Grendel or the SPC parent case. The old 22 PPC benchrest round very similar capacity to the Valkyrie, and it was never considered a barrel burner. Yes, I know we're talking about semi-autos with different rates of fire and different pressures, but still, the Valkyrie isn't that big a step up from the 5.56; we're only talking about ~30gr H2O for the 5.56 vs ~34gr for the Valkyrie. If you're planning to play bubba bumpfire and dump mags in the gravel pit it'll burn barrels, but using it as a long range gun it should last a long time.

Unfortunately, I think the Valkyrie's real performance is a bit overstated in marketing hype, and think there are better options if a guy loads his own ammo. The 6mm variants of the Grendel case in particular are great options; my 243 LBC pushes a 95gr Berger VLD well over 2900 fps and uses all Grendel components except the barrel, bullets, and reloading dies.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
.300 BLK would be my vote now that ammo prices are more reasonable.

9mm ARS are just too heavy for the caliber...the Scorpion is a better platform.

Depends on the Barrel length. My 7.5" 9mm AR-9 Pistol probably is about the same weight as my Scorpion SBR, but the Scorpion is "Cooler".

I think i can run the Scorpion faster but i could do two AR-9 Pistols for the cost of the Scorpion SBR.

As far as ammo cost, no comparison at all. 9mm hands down, and it's more Fun to shoot with more options on ammo.

Like i said each to their own, just have fun. :wagwoot:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Appreciate everyone’s insight.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will say......my 9mm AR pistol with a TiRant 9 on the end and a trijicon reflex sight is really high on my list of fun to shoot guns.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
Jayle wrote:
Really don’t have an practical reason for it except pure entertainment. Just thinking between the two as I have a plethora of 9 and I like the 7.62x39 round, not so much ak’s

9mm AR's are fun and cheap to shoot. I say go for it, especially if it's just a plinking or PDW type thing.

I personally don't get .300 BO, but each to their own. Like Steve said, if it makes you smile, and it will, go for it.

300 blackout is an amazing round. 9” barrel most of the powder is burnt, 308 bullet subsonic through a suppressor. What’s not to love? I’m currently waiting on my stamp for 8” 300 blackout and my friend is just waiting on his bolt for his 8” blackout pistol. Going to start working on 220 gr loads for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My 7.62x39 AR is the most reliable ever. It has been 100% through several thousand rounds. Such a fun shooter compared to .556

Divided we fall.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3