Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:06 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Ear plugs for hunting? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello All,

I will be doing my first deer hunt this fall. I'm looking for something to protect my ears from a large caliber rifle. I've learned that my ears are little wusses and ring for days without ear pro.

Usually when I go duck hunting I just wear my impact sport noise cancelling muffs, however after a few hours those start to hurt. There's no way those will cut it for 5 days of hiking and hunting.

Does anyone have experience with passive noise cancelling plugs? I've checked out quite a few online but all reviews seem mixed and most aren't specific toward firearm noise. Thanks!

Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought these a couple years ago. I've used them last year for deer. They worked great. They amplify and cancel gunshots. Only downside for me are the batteries. They don't last too long when amplified. Get spare batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Gunspor ... mp_s_a_1_5

Spare batteries:
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-PowerOne ... C1R91FMG6D

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have some from westone that are good. Very expensive though.
https://www.westone.com/store/defendear/index.php/defendear-digital/defendear-digital-hunter/
One of my friends is using this model:
https://www.otto-comm.com/noizebarrier-active-hearing-protection
These are rechargeable, and around 3-400.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A run MSA Sordin Supreme-X with gel cups for over-the-ear and Westone DefendEars Shooters for in-ear. The Westone work well but they do eat through the hearing aid (zinc-air) batteries. The MSA's work much better between the two for both shot noise reduction and ambient sound amplification.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had some custom molded one done a few years back and they are awesome. Cost about a 100 bucks and use a clapper valve inside that drops the DB when a shot is fired. I believe any hearing aid company can do them.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:55 pm

Whenever you finally take the shot, you wont even notice the noise.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

acidfly wrote:

of course he wont, he'll have noise cancelling earplugs in.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:
I had some custom molded one done a few years back and they are awesome. Cost about a 100 bucks and use a clapper valve inside that drops the DB when a shot is fired. I believe any hearing aid company can do them.

This is the way to go. Get them custom done so they fit your ears. Nothing worse than having something in your ears that is a little too big or too small. You can even get custom inserts that fit over ear buds.

Or just bring what you use for range protection.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The very few times I fired a weapon to include a Stinger missile without hearing protection I regretted it. Even a .22LR. Just use something. I have a pair of Howard Leight electronic ear muffs, but I don't like any muffs above 70 degrees. (Too sweaty). I usually end up with my green earplugs left over from the Army. I can't stress it enough....USE SOMETHING!!!

Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have this in my radar http://a.co/cmtmzDD

But yes I understand how bad it would be to hike in the woods with some bulky ear protection sweating like a pig.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wired wrote:
Hello All,

I will be doing my first deer hunt this fall. I'm looking for something to protect my ears from a large caliber rifle. I've learned that my ears are little wusses and ring for days without ear pro.

Usually when I go duck hunting I just wear my impact sport noise cancelling muffs, however after a few hours those start to hurt. There's no way those will cut it for 5 days of hiking and hunting.

Does anyone have experience with passive noise cancelling plugs? I've checked out quite a few online but all reviews seem mixed and most aren't specific toward firearm noise. Thanks!

Your ears are obviously valuable and vulnerable to large caliber gunshots and you can do permanent damage. I've got tinnitus from shooting or being around loud (military situations) equipment without good earpro. It really sucks. Protect your ears. A hunt is not worth ruining your hearing.

Spent $50 or so on some good electronic ear muffs. Plenty of brands out there. They actually enhance noises, but instantly dampen loud noises.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

acidfly wrote:

Wrong. You'll still do damage b/c your eardrums "notice" the concussive bang. And it's PERMANENT damage.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are the shooter out in the open, have a standard length barrel, and you are NOT using a muzzle brake, you will not damage your hearing with one or two shots. Research shows the maximum level approaches, but does not exceed, the occasional level. However, if you are beside the shooter, in an enclosed space, have a short barrel ( less than 22"-24") or using a brake, even one shot is too many.

If you do damage your hearing, it is permanent as noted. You may not notice, but it is there.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:06 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

I'd suggest looking at your muzzle and choice of muzzle device. The wrong muzzle device will wreck your day and hearing. As it was said before, not shooting in a enclosed area make quite the difference, especially if your firearm is directing the majority of the SPL forward of you. Of course all this could be no difference what so ever your hearing is already compromised which makes for being sensitive to frequencies at certain dbs.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:47 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter