Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:15 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 .22 Suppressors 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm thinking about getting a .22 suppressor. At one point I was told the most important feature was the ability to easily disassemble it when it's full of lead. Is that still the case? Anything else I should pay particular attention to?

I've started making a list of cans to research. I've started the list with the ones I see for sale here. What else should I consider? What is your favorite place to find reviews?

Gemtech GM22
Rebel Silencers 22 MICRO
AAC element 2
SilencerCo Sparrow 22
SilencerCo Spectre 22
Dead Air MASK 22 HD
Sig Sauer SRD22X
AMTAC Fire Ant
Rugged Oculus 22
Tactical Solutions Ascent

Last edited by snozzberries on Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got the Tactical Solutions Ascent. I haven't shot it yet, but it seems well made and it was reasonably priced.

Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:04 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Just got my Oculus 22. It's my only 22 can so I have no grounds for comparison but I like it so far. I chose the Oculus because the reviews are outstanding and Rugged's warranty is supposedly too notch.

Eta- I also think it's cool that it can be shot in 3 different length configurations

Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What are you wanting the can for? Rifles or pistols or both?

I would steer clear of aac since they got bought out by freedom group which has notoriously bad quality control.

Silencerco is about to release a new rimfire can that is suppose to be really cool.

If you want one now the dead air mask from everything I read is one of the best. Also silencershop is running a promotion if you buy a dead air can you can get the ghost m (45) for $399.

Sinus211 wrote:
Rugged's warranty is supposedly too notch.

Pretty much any of the big players in the silencer world have amazing warranties. There was a story recently where a guy launched his silencerco can down range and the rso wouldn’t call a cease fire for him to get it. Other people at the range ended up shooting it and it couldn’t be repaired so silencerco gave him a new can.

Dead airs employees are mostly the old silencerco employees and their cans and warranty are amazing.

Below is a picture from silencercos instagram:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
Just got my Oculus 22. It's my only 22 can so I have no grounds for comparison but I like it so far. I chose the Oculus because the reviews are outstanding and Rugged's warranty is supposedly too notch.

Eta- I also think it's cool that it can be shot in 3 different length configurations

Nice, the Oculus is great. It has 2 different length configurations, shorty and full monty. There's quite a difference in sound suppression, but the cool factor of the short config is def there.

Snozz,

1. I would say ease of disassembly is still at or near the top of the list of features you want in a .22 sup. Cleaning can be a PITA.
2. The next highest for me would be a slim diameter to avoid the purchase of suppressor height sights. I'm not sure if there are any dedicated .22 suppressors that are thick enough to warrant suppressor height sights on your average semi-auto slide, so this maybe a moot point.
3. Third is the material of the baffles. I care about durability more than weight so I would try to avoid aluminum because I'd be tumbling it with steel media... no sonic cleaner or acid cleaning solutions on my bench atm.

NRA Certified RSO
SAF/NRA Life Member

Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought a Spectre II and it had been great so far. I shot it and a warlock and decided on the Spectre. I've used it on a walther p22 and a savage mark 2 fv-sr and it is amazingly quiet with standard velocity CCI ammo.

Baffles are stainless and have held up well. Comes apart rather easily as well.

Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MyNameIs940 wrote:

Both. I have a Ruger 10/22 and a Browning Buckmark with threaded barrels.

Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suggest knocking the gemtech off the list as well. For the gemtech, it's the design of the monocore. With all monocore designs that don't have a sleeve between the core and tube if you forget to clean them on a regular basis, they (core) can get welded to the tube.

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Spectre 22 for the win. Great can for the money. Well-built, good suppression, easy maintenance, and won't break the bank. I don't know anyone who has regretted buying one.

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:30 am

I have a thunderbeast 22L-1 and love it. They aren't cheap and they are not user serviceable, so maybe that's a show stopper for you. However, I have ~5000 rounds of 22 and 17HMR through it without issue. Thunderbeast allows you to send it back once a year for cleaning at no cost. I have done that once and their customer service is outstanding. They run it through their industrial ultra sonic cleaner over and over until it weighs the same as it did new, re apply the cerekote, and send it back. I should note, that there was no particular reason to send it back, it was functioning fine but I figured I would give their service a try.

I had a 10/22 up at CAR (there old shop in Tuk) for threading and Fred told me he thought it was the quietest 22 can he had ever heard. On my 22/45 it is movie quiet. Love that can.

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

snozzberries wrote:
MyNameIs940 wrote:

Both. I have a Ruger 10/22 and a Browning Buckmark with threaded barrels.

Go in to a store and look at them see the sizes and compare for what you’re looking for. Pretty much all the top brands are going to have right around the same sound suppression (don’t look at manufacture numbers as they all measure wrong and list untrue numbers). Griffin, dead air, silencerco, rugged and I think I missed one or two but they’re all really good brands. Personally I’d go with the dead air and pick up the ghost m as well if I was in your shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dj_fatstyles wrote:
I suggest knocking the gemtech off the list as well. For the gemtech, it's the design of the monocore. With all monocore designs that don't have a sleeve between the core and tube if you forget to clean them on a regular basis, they (core) can get welded to the tube.

I agree about the Gemtech GM22, but for a different reason - it's loud and it sucks. They had a sweet design in the Outback series, but people complained so much about cleaning that they went to the "improved" GM22 monocore design, which seems way louder to the ear.

Some folks do have the opinion that the most important feature is disassembly for cleaning - I strongly disagree. To me the most important features are that it's quiet and light weight. If it doesn't perform well, I don't care how easy it is to clean, and I really don't want an 8 oz 22 LR suppressor on the end of my guns. Anything over 4 oz is excessive IMO, and 2.5-3 oz is better.

Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yondering wrote:
dj_fatstyles wrote:

I agree about the Gemtech GM22, but for a different reason - it's loud and it sucks. They had a sweet design in the Outback series, but people complained so much about cleaning that they went to the "improved" GM22 monocore design, which seems way louder to the ear.

Some folks do have the opinion that the most important feature is disassembly for cleaning - I strongly disagree. To me the most important features are that it's quiet and light weight. If it doesn't perform well, I don't care how easy it is to clean, and I really don't want an 8 oz 22 LR suppressor on the end of my guns. Anything over 4 oz is excessive IMO, and 2.5-3 oz is better.

That's a good point, if it's useless then you'll never use it and it'll never get dirty.

Do you have a recommendation for a 3oz .22 suppressor?

Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Other than finding a new old stock Outback II/IID, or Warlock 22, nothing specific. I've seen a few newer cans that meet those specs recently but haven't paid much attention to specifics since I don't need another, but if I see something soon I'll report back. I know there are at least a couple options out there though.

One other option you could look at, I still think it's a bit heavy, but Liberty Suppressors' new Vector looks pretty good and might be worth a try. They are a great company to deal with anyway, they've been good to me in the past.

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a gm22 is you want to check it out.

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next