Handgun 41%  41%  [ 9 ]
Rifle 23%  23%  [ 5 ]
Shotgun 32%  32%  [ 7 ]
Other 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 22

Best Defensive Firearm 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Best" is subjective to location, threat, advance warning, etc. and to skill of the user and other variables.

Hard to answer. Being armed is really the key. Probably not a huge difference as long as it's reliable, of sufficient caliber/capacity (skip the .32s and single shot shotguns), and you're trained.

Since it's likely going to be in public and by surprise attack by a stranger robbing you, then that would have to go to the easy to carry/use and effective pistol. I choose Glock, Walther, Sig, XD, CZ... all easily affordable and quite reliable and effective.

In the rare suicidal attempt of a home invasion, I'd go with a 12 gauge or AK or AR or M1A - whatever is handy. All are gonna ruin someones' day.

In a pro-gun culture, I suspect these types of attack are very small % b/c the risk is just rarely worth it.

If you watch online self defense videos, a lot come from international locations where gun ownership is low and violent crime is high as a result.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I rarely go anywhere without a get-home bag, M92, G19 (or 21) and a j-frame B.U.G.

If I'm going someplace where the distance couldn't be covered in a days march, then I bring a larger pack, too, that has what it would take to be comfortable on a multi-day walk.

Plan ahead.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bear in mind that, according to statistics, you'll be using it in lowlight, and in/around a vehicle. Probably one-handed. plan accordingly.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:44 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

RocketScott wrote:
I smashed the windshield of a couple of druggies stealing shit from Home Depot with a gallon of paint last week

Not my first choice in weapons but it's what I had in my right hand when they were driving towards me in the parking lot (my dorg was on leash in my left hand)

Do tell story please.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last week while the site was down

I was walking down the parking lot when a guy blew past me holding a red milwaukee box that still had the security tag cabled onto it (long box, probably a sawzall), I could hear the alarm going off in the store

There was a car coming towards me with the driver opening the door for the other guy. He jumps in and the driver speeds up, focusing on the gap between me and the cart corral on my right

That gap wasn't big enough for a car but the driver didn't change focus and seemed committed. My dorg was on the leash to my left so I move that way

As I pivot to not get hit I bring the paint can around and bash the windshield. Put a good dent in the can but didn't crush the windshield as much as I was hoping it would

Thieves kept going. Another guy runs over and asks if I got the license plate. Told him I was a little busy and didn't

Nobody came out from the store, I'm sure they are told to just let it go. Home Depot doesn't want an employee hurt going after someone

Other guy and I just looked at each other, shrugged as if to say "well that was exciting", and went on about our day

Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So a few opinions.

The industry has gone through some changes in the last 10-20 years. The advent of technology and design make most modern platforms reliable and useful for many applications.

The standard has been shotgun, handgun and then rifle.
For civilian use a shotgun for the novice has been stressed by many for ease of use, reliability and Ammo selection. Ammo selection can vary from non lethal to extremely lethal at close to moderate ranges.

Handgun since the concealability due to size but does take longer to train and use well. But with advancements in optics and Ammo can be deployed well for self defense.

Rifle has always been the military standard for going to war. Armies are not issued pistols as their primary firearm for a reason. With SBR and pistol classifications of rifle caliber handguns it brings a new consideration for those wanting something bigger.

We all have specific needs so for the individual - one answer for someone else might not be the answer for you. Knowing the pros and cons of each platform and the specific firearm, in regards to your specific needs... the answer can be? Your choice.

The bottom line - Choice is always better.

Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A trained shotgunner is top of my list of dudeswithwhichIdonotwishtof**k. However, if you think that running a shotgun under stress is in any sense "easy", i encourage you to take a defensive shotgun course to test your assumption. Insights offers a good one. I'm not affiliated, just took the course : http://www.insightstraining.com/view_co ... ourseID=20

Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:31 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

quantsuff wrote:
the best defensive firearm is the one you will actually practice with and actually carry with you the most.

I have to agree. So, my vote is “handgun” — whatever handgun you like in that budget.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My vote is for shotty at home and handgun on the street.

Shotty a good pump (Mossberg or Remington) or semi-auto provides a massive amount of firepower at close ranges and a very wide variety of ammo selection. My choice is law enforcement/low recoil 2-3/4" 00 buck loadings in a Remington 870 Wingmaster 12ga with 18" smoothbore slug barrel (heavily customized). 20ga also makes a great HD option though the choices are more limited. In semi-autos, there are many tactical choices: Mossberg, Remington, Benelli, Beretta, etc.

I would echo quantsuff's comments though. There are many myths surrounding the combat shotgun (lead wall of death, no need to aim, etc) and also some severe limitations. Foremost among those is limited magazine capacity and the need for constant reloading. Training classes at FAS or Insights goes a long ways towards gaining proficiency on the platform. Shooting clay targets, while fun in its own right, provides practically no preparation for defensive shotgun skills where speed and gun manipulation skills are key.

Oh and if your idea of unloading a shotgun at home consists of repeatedly racking the slide or bolt, we gotta talk :bigsmile: Very dangerous to cycle live shells through the action to unload your shotty in a close quarters environment. With safety on, depress the magazine shell latch instead to release shells from the magazine directly, finally releasing the slide to eject any round from the chamber.

Have taken the full shotgun training series at FAS and next Spring looking forward to a local shotty training course with guest instructor Tom Givens, particularly since my skills are a bit rusty and long in the tooth.

Handguns are whatever you are most comfortable carrying and shooting. Buy a gun and train with it as often as you can. A full size handgun which is frequently left home due to weight, carry comfort reasons is far inferior to a j-frame or sub-compact pistol that you are always in the habit of dropping in a pocket or holstering up.

Last edited by GeekWithGuns on Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:36 am

There is no perfect firearm out there for every situation, just firearms for specific situations. While I am in car driving I may have a pistol on me while my Scorpion evo in in a backpack with six 30 round mags, othe times whike driving there wI'll be an AR/AK under seat compartment.. Times I may be out to dinner/ shopping and a high capacity pistol will be on my side. Around the house there is always a shotgun/AR /AK.

Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GeekWithGuns wrote:
My vote is for shotty at home....

Oh and if your idea of unloading an empty shotgun at home consists of repeatedly racking the slide or bolt, we gotta talk :bigsmile: Very dangerous to cycle live shells through the action to unload your shotty in a close quarters environment. With safety on, depress the magazine shell latch instead to release shells from the magazine directly, finally releasing the slide to eject any round from the chamber.

Helluva a good point! :thumbsup2:

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:38 am

Home defense? Concealed carry? Open carry? In the woods?

For that budget probably a decent AK for home or openly slung in the woods.
A Glock for open or concealed daily carry.

A 9mm, .40, or .45 handgun or pistol caliber carbine will go through more walls than a 5.56. Momentum.

We should get some drywall and 2x4s and build a few walls to shoot through so people can see it firsthand.

Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2