Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:01 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Anyone try the Sig Echo 1 thermal? 

Anyone tried one of these yet? Seems very tempting at around $900.

https://www.sigsauer.com/products/elect ... hts/echo1/

Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:31 am

I don't trust SIG QC and have heard from retailers that they get a lot of SIG electronics back for warranty repair and flat out refunds. I just picked up an ATN Thor 1-5x and so far it's GTG. $1500 and has programmable profiles. Tricky sighting thermal in, you need the small handwarmer packets and a large blank background. I use reversed full sized targets. Here it is with my new Vepr 74

Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Buddy of mine has one. We compared the Echo to my Pulsar Trail. For the money Echo works but not very well at long distances. We were testing both off rifle and watching his dog run around the yard (and pinching a loaf). For identification you'd have to be within 100yds. Where as my Trail could ID easily out to 500yds. When I say ID I mean you can tell it was a dog and not a coyote or anything else.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:57 am

Good info, thanks. I don't expect it to perform with some of the higher priced options, but it sounds like it limited to fairly short distances. I think Cabelas has them in store, maybe I'll try to get a look through one before buying.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Capn Blood wrote:
Tricky sighting thermal in, you need the small handwarmer packets and a large blank background.

That is the difference between low end and high end thermal. I just use black target pasties/dots and have no issue. First time I zeroed I used 1" orange dots on a 25yd NRA paper target flipped to the blank side. All I could see was the printed black target on the other side of the paper with just a hint of the orange dots.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:23 am

BlDtyLry wrote:
Capn Blood wrote:
Tricky sighting thermal in, you need the small handwarmer packets and a large blank background.

That is the difference between low end and high end thermal. I just use black target pasties/dots and have no issue. First time I zeroed I used 1" orange dots on a 25yd NRA paper target flipped to the blank side. All I could see was the printed black target on the other side of the paper with just a hint of the orange dots.

I normally buy high end stuff, but high end thermal are too much at 3-7k. Thus, the interest in a workable sight at $900.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:10 am

BlDtyLry wrote:
Capn Blood wrote:

Good to know. I'm just getting into the thermal game and need short range thermal because I'll be living out in the tall timber pretty soon. Probably the longest shot on a yote, feral dog or bad actor would be 75-100 yards. The Thor is plenty effective for that and at night (cool temps) it's actually pretty effective

I have gen 3 NV but it's a massive 6 x Mars scope for my heavy barrel PTR and unsuitable for CQC/defense. Right now my primary focus is getting the semi rifles I want before the current abomination goes into effect next year

I'd look at a lot of real reviews on any optic before jumping into a purchase

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]