Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:15 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Denied firearm purchase from LGS 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So a weird thing happen to me today at the LGS, I was denied buying handgun because of my middle name. My driver's license and CPL have my middle initial (IE. "A"), but when I filled out the FTR (ATF Form 4473) I always put my full middle name (It's 10+ letters). I only went to this LGS (not my usual store) since they were a Glock blue label dealer and I wanted to use my GSSF coupon. I had just bought a Magpul 10/22 backpacker about 2 weeks ago from my preferred FFL with no issues, and this is how I've always had my driver's license like this since I moved here over a year ago and have no issues purchasing multiple firearms (both rifles and handguns).

Their suggestion was to update my driver's license to reflect my full middle name, but that would require me to go to the DMV and go through the name-change process. I even tried calling a different store, and I explained the situation to them and they said they would have no issue selling it to me, so I'm thinking of just going there instead.

Anyone run into this issue?

Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:30 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just to clarify... the STORE denied you the sale. Not the ATF/FBI?

If so, that's some BS!

Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:33 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
Just to clarify... the STORE denied you the sale. Not the ATF/FBI?

If so, that's some BS!

Correct, the store denied me. They did not even want to run through NICS/ATF/FBI. They said it was due to some change that happened a few weeks ago...?

Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes there is now a question as to whether your driver's license matches your application

Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So fill out the application exactly like the driver's license.

If they complain that you didn't use your full middle name, tell them that you knew it had to match your DL.

If they say, no, you have to have your full, tell them then it won't match the DL.

They can't be telling everyone that comes in, that they have to go to DMV and get their DL changed to show their full middle name.

I guarantee you that there are only a handful of people in this entire state that have their full middle name on their DL. DMV has always just used the middle initial.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:

If they complain that you didn't use your full middle name, tell them that you knew it had to match your DL.

If they say, no, you have to have your full, tell them then it won't match the DL.

They can't be telling everyone that comes in, that they have to go to DMV and get their DL changed to show their full middle name.

I guarantee you that there are only a handful of people in this entire state that have their full middle name on their DL. DMV has always just used the middle initial.

i have my full middle name on my dl...but that's because i'm korean

lol jk

anyway, what Selador said. just fill out the paperwork again with what is on your drivers license, doneso!

Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:

They didn't even give me that option. The store just flat out denied me and told me to update my DL and come back, so I doubt they would let me fill out another 4473 to match my DL.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:05 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

My full middle name is on my license

Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kuga wrote:
Selador wrote:

They didn't even give me that option. The store just flat out denied me and told me to update my DL and come back, so I doubt they would let me fill out another 4473 to match my DL.

Yup. I'd go to the other store and try. Remember to fill it out exactly like your DL.

This store has lost your business, and it looks like they'l lose more if they keep this up. What an idiotic way to treat a possible customer.

Sinus211 wrote:

I wasn't counting those with OCD.

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:10 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Full middle name here. What are the odds that the "handful" of people are all here on WaGuns?

Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:16 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Selador wrote:
kuga wrote:
Selador wrote:

Yup. I'd go to the other store and try. Remember to fill it out exactly like your DL.

This store has lost your business, and it looks like they'l lose more if they keep this up. What an idiotic way to treat a possible customer.

Sinus211 wrote:

I wasn't counting those with OCD.

Listen, I don't 1,2,3

Have obsessive compulsive 1,2,3

Disorder you dirty 1,2,3

Old lightning magnet 1,2,3

Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

olydemon wrote:
Full middle name here. What are the odds that the "handful" of people are all here on WaGuns?

Bwahahaha

Yeah! Dat's it. Man, watta co-inky-dink! :wink05:
Sinus211 wrote:
Listen, I don't 1,2,3

Have obsessive compulsive 1,2,3

Disorder you dirty 1,2,3

Old lightning magnet 1,2,3

:ROFLMAO:

Do justice. Love mercy.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kuga wrote:
So a weird thing happen to me today at the LGS, I was denied buying handgun because of my middle name. My driver's license and CPL have my middle initial (IE. "A"), but when I filled out the FTR (ATF Form 4473) I always put my full middle name (It's 10+ letters). I only went to this LGS (not my usual store) since they were a Glock blue label dealer and I wanted to use my GSSF coupon. I had just bought a Magpul 10/22 backpacker about 2 weeks ago from my preferred FFL with no issues, and this is how I've always had my driver's license like this since I moved here over a year ago and have no issues purchasing multiple firearms (both rifles and handguns).

Their suggestion was to update my driver's license to reflect my full middle name, but that would require me to go to the DMV and go through the name-change process. I even tried calling a different store, and I explained the situation to them and they said they would have no issue selling it to me, so I'm thinking of just going there instead.

Anyone run into this issue?

Ya know, I think folks who get denied like this should unite and file a class action suit. (I'm not soliciting business, just suggesting it.) If this were someone being denied the right to vote on election day, all hell would break loose. But why is this acceptable for a gun purchase due to a clerical error?

Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Only have a middle initial on my DL.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

are you by any chance non-white? this sounds like shenanigans to me.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next