Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:02 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Any experience with Athlon scopes? 

I've been reading up on scopes and one name (Athlon) keeps popping up. I'm currently considering the Talos or Midas BTR line of scopes in SFP. So do any of you guys have any hands on experience with these product's? How would they compair to say Nikon?

Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:58 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm not an optics whore, so I can't give you a really solid review. However, I bought one of these based on the features, price and positive reviews:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10946 ... icle-matte

I liked it so much that I bought another one during a good sale to fill an empty spot on my shelf. :bigsmile:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My buddy bought one for his ar-10. And I was comparing it to my vortex viper pst and vortex strike fire 1-6 and my primary arms 1-6. The glass was definitely almost as good as the pst but there was a huge difference in parallax between the two. Now his athlon was 6-24 and my pst 3-16. But I just hated his athlon at 24x, it was most usable for me at around 18-20. I can use my vortex at 16 all day long and not have issues. It was better than the budget SFP 1-6’s by a long shot. The glass wasn’t as clear as the pst but it definitely impressed me for what it cost. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one for the price. That FFP sure makes a difference in ranging and at 5x, it was great with great vision on all edges. I think the problems are in the higher power level. You can sit there all day though at 18x and not get tired on the athlon.

This is what he bought:

Athlon Optics , Argos BTR, Riflescope, 6-24 x 50 First Focal Plane (FFP) 30 mm Tube, Illuminated APMR MIL Reticle, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0157N4640/re ... aCbG161AYV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I own two 8-34x56 Argos BTR's. By far the best value for a sub $400 FFP MIL scope. I think the glass is better than the Viper PST Gen1 but not as good as a Gen2. The tracking is accurate and repeatable.

Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:03 am

Thanks fkr the responces guys! I made a stop over at cabelas today on the way home to fondle a few scopes and to see what stronger zooms were like. One thing I noticed is once I got over 20 power on most brands I couldn't see a damn thing. Part of that might be the glass quality, but a good portion was from me shaking just holding the scope. So I'm gonna take another look at the 20 power and under athlons.

Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:51 pm

I have a Argos btr 6x24, as mentioned earlier the higher magnification isn't the clearest, but I'm not one to use high power. I did a tall target test and it tracked as should. My only complaint is the magnification knob is very stiff on mine, it's pretty new and doesn't get used a lot but hopefully it'll loosen up some over time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]