Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:42 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 BATFE to Discontinue Accessory Classifications 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

which means that if you submit an accessory like a pistol brace, they aren't going to make a determination on the brace alone; it has to be submitted with the particular firearm for which it was designed.

Here's a better and more complete assessment:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... Newsletter

Don't know if they're aiming toward some retroactive action on determinations they've already made... we'll see.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So basically they don't want us mixing and matching. They want the accessory to remain with the initial rifle, not something you removed from one rifle to attach to another?

I can see why they are doing this, but good luck trying to regulate it.

Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:37 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's going to make new/improved accessories, like an arm brace, more difficult to get "the letter". I can't say I blame them for wanting to shy away from that with what is probably a massive influx of letter requests for imaginary or possible configurations.

Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:43 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Massivedesign wrote:
It's going to make new/improved accessories, like an arm brace, more difficult to get "the letter". I can't say I blame them for wanting to shy away from that with what is probably a massive influx of letter requests for imaginary or possible configurations.

Agreed.

Maybe a better approach would be to eliminate so many of the bullshit rules and laws that drive us to ask for such classifications. Maybe we can finally agree that nobody really gives a shit whether that's a "vertical" fore grip or an "angled" fore grip on your pistol? Or whether you're pushing a "stock" or a "brace" up against your shoulder . . . inadvertently?

We're spending so much of our collective time -- both gun owners' and the ATF's -- on such trivial, meaningless shit.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Common sense will not be tolerated!

Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:

Agreed.

Maybe a better approach would be to eliminate so many of the bullshit rules and laws that drive us to ask for such classifications. Maybe we can finally agree that nobody really gives a shit whether that's a "vertical" fore grip or an "angled" fore grip on your pistol? Or whether you're pushing a "stock" or a "brace" up against your shoulder . . . inadvertently?

We're spending so much of our collective time -- both gun owners' and the ATF's -- on such trivial, meaningless shit.

Agreed.

2A... Dead of a thousand paper cuts.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So does that mean they can't classify a bump fire stock as anything, because it's an accessory?
Unless some asshole sends one in on a rifle?

Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rix86 wrote:
So does that mean they can't classify a bump fire stock as anything, because it's an accessory?

Dunno about that, but the D's are head hunting the Attny that signed that shit and if they do oust him there is speculation that it might void that order.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/12/as-med ... z5ZO3zBizT

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:10 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good update from TFB regarding this situation:
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... Newsletter
Quote:
As a follow-up to yesterday’s announcement by the ATF regarding the discontinuation of accessory classifications without a host firearm, sources that work closely with the law enforcement and regulatory agency have come forward with additional information. Apparently the Firearms Technology Industry Services Branch (FTISB), has been swamped with submissions from manufacturers without a host weapon as context for how the device will be utilized. The new procedure may help to cull the volume of “junk” accessories that are submitted for review – fleshlights attached to AR15 stocks, for example. (Yes, I said fleshlight, not flashlight. Don’t Google that from work). And yes, apparently that actually happened.....

Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:49 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hump stock?

Need one.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, here's my fundamental problem with this.

The government has created arbitrary, confusing rules. And they know it. These rules carry massive penalties. And they know it.

They are so sick of people (you know, us citizens who pay taxes and expect fairness and freedom) trying to understand the laws so we can comply, or find work arounds in some cases, that they are now refusing to even help us understand these arbitrary and confusing rules that carry serious penalties.

It's like when people asked the WA State AG to help understand I594 and they refused.

Who is the servant of who anymore????

Probably close to 100% of the gun rules and regs could be and should be totally just scrapped as wasteful, needless, pointless, arbitrary, capricious, etc. I can think of very few that are logical, based in reason and common sense, or make people legitimately safer.

Does an extra non-US part make a gun less safe or more deadly? Does a forward grip on a pistol make it somehow more dangerous? And so forth. It's the dirty secret everyone knows yet nobody can seem to fix.

The REAL harm is that damage it does to the credibility of government, because the government has long ago ceased providing a service to the people, but instead is now grown into a tax gobbling power mad control hungry monster that serves itself and only grows bigger and less fair. I submit that's more harmful than a "too short" rifle or "too long" pistol... both in the same caliber and do the exact same thing...

Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like illegal underground regulation. Same as bumpstock fiasco. This kind of over reach is everywhere and needs a smack down of epic proportions.

Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
Rix86 wrote:

Dunno about that, but the D's are head hunting the Attny that signed that shit and if they do oust him there is speculation that it might void that order.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/12/as-med ... z5ZO3zBizT

It aint the Ds doing the looking... They are not the ones directing that.

Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]